the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm9
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › pul1duel
pul1duel
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 10:41 pm    Post subject: pul1duel Reply with quote

update: the map is finished - see this post

here's a version of my duel map and i would like help with playtesting it. so far i've only played against bots and have no real idea of how well the layout work.

it's meant for 1on1, but i guess it could work in ffa for a very low amount of players. would be interesting if people could try 2on2 also.

i've mapped using the quake 3 textures so i'm really not sure how it looks in openarena...

the blue transparent blocks do not block weapons but do block players. so you can move and shoot through. bots seem to understand that they can shoot through. i'm not sure what's wrong but sometimes the bots doesn't pick up the red armour even if they are almost standing on it...

also, it's not fully clipped and so on... don't worry about it ;)

anyway - i would really appreciate some playtesting as i'm not sure how to proceed the mapping without it.

pul1duel3.pk3
 Description:
the name atm is pul1duel3
 Filename:  pul1duel3.pk3
 Filesize:  586.6 KB
 Downloaded:  205 Time(s)

Last edited by pulchr on Fri Jun 26, 2009 8:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

Hey pulchr,

I did a quick test in q3 with bots only (with my max fx config :)).

I like the simple layout and the good connectivity, even its a bit confusing with the 4 teleporters at first. I have 3 suggestions:

1) Add some more texture lightning/remove some light entities. A light entity, without a lighttexture looks a bit weird

2) The RL was a bit hard to reach from some points of the map (i dont know the teleporter connectivity well yet thou). A lot more playing testing would be necessary to judge about that actually.

3) Post your level HERE! Don't forget to include screenshots. :) i'd suggest to take them with normal light-settings, which means r_gamma 1, r_intensity 1, r_vertexlight 0, r_overbrightbits 1, r_mapoverbrightbits 2 and everything else full detail to get a good impression of the map)

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:02 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

thanks for testing!

don't worry about lighting and textures - i've only started in some areas and there are much to be done about it.

yes, the teleporters might be confusing, but they are all two-way teleporters.

i haven't thought about the rocket launcher, maybe it is a bit difficult to reach from one side. hmmm :)

i might be posting it on the levelmakers forum when i've done some more on the map.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:08 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

I've quickly tested the map in oa/cpma ( but of course not seriously ... lol ... only cause cpma bots have a better attitude to find quickly the route to reach items , to use teleports and to frag their opponents - eg me :D ... but this time I've badly lost without a single frag XD ) ...

The map looks funny , but it takes time to learn teleports , spawn points , etc ...

btw , my first impressions :

- I wasn't rail-spawn-fragged once :D , but idk if it's only cause the bot didn't have the time to learn ( I've played only 2 matches ) ; but it should be a positive thing ( spawn points should be well placed in the map ).
- I've spawned more than once exactly over the megahealth :/
- RL is too exposed to enemy fire IMHO , maybe it's better replacing it with an item that respawns in a longer period ( eg mh ).
- map layout is big enough to have 2 RL than only 1 ( see my post on aggressor map )
- maybe it's better placing GL lower
- maybe it's better having only 1 shotgun or placing them near spawn points.
- maybe the map is a bit too dark in some places :/
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:39 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

I like having 2 SG, but maybe replacing RL and MH

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 12:45 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

good points.

the spawnpoints are not very well thought out - actually i haven't moved them from an earlier version of the map that was much smaller. so they definately need more tinkering.

i've had the MH at the current RL position but that made it far too easy to pick up both RA and MH at the same time.

is it too much with 2 RL in a map of this size? how do you like the GL? should i replace it with a RL?

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

pulchr wrote:
good points.

the spawnpoints are not very well thought out - actually i haven't moved them from an earlier version of the map that was much smaller. so they definately need more tinkering.

Well they seem placed in the right way ( with the exception of the one that makes player spawn exactly over MH ) , cause as now they make spawn fragging a bit harder ( there's enough distance between them and also a good number of obstacles ).

pulchr wrote:

i've had the MH at the current RL position but that made it far too easy to pick up both RA and MH at the same time.

Ouch ... you're right ... forget what I wrote

pulchr wrote:

is it too much with 2 RL in a map of this size? how do you like the GL? should i replace it with a RL?

Maybe reading this could be helpful about what I was trying to say .
RAZ3R
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:06 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

I would need to learn the map a bit and play a few game vs humans to give you more feedback, but layout seems quite good and I didn't nitice anything imediatley wrong with item placement. Only thing I would maybe say is with one of the spawnpoints there are no weapons or items around which could lead to a free kill everytime you spawn there.
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

... unless of course you target that spawn point to a func_give, and the func_give to a weapon_bfg with ammo 200 and a item_quad with 999s duration.

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 15, 2009 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

That could work, though you may also want to give them enviro suit.
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

I haven't checked it out yet--for some reason the thread was marked as 'read' and I didn't notice it. I think the best thing would be if one of the administrators put this on one of the servers so we can have a real taste of the map.

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

pulchr: maybe rename it to pul1duel3beta1 or something and then upload it so we can test it, while its still under development, cause you cant override the old version with the new version, you'll have to have someone delete it first. :p

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

well... i just uploaded that map using the ftp...

rainbow.furver.se/inde...opic&t=592
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

here's a new version of the map, it's now called "pul1duel4". i'm only halfway through bsp-details, texturing, lighting and clipping but i think the layout of the map is more or less done.

here are some things i've changed:

* moved the teleporters "inside" the walls, so they're are easier to enter.
* moved the megahealth up one level.
* changed one shotgun into a rocket launcher (where MH was before).
* changed places on lower rocket launcher and grenade launcher.
* added some armour shards.
* moved the spawnpoint that was too near the megahealth earlier.
* some texturing, bsp-changes and lighting has been changed in the lightning gun and megahealth area.

known problems:
* bots sometimes ignores red armour even if they are very close to it.
* lighting doesn't work as expected in some places.

i would be grateful if you could give this new version a spin - i'm getting bored playtesting versus xaero ;)

pul1duel4.pk3
 Description:
 Filename:  pul1duel4.pk3
 Filesize:  770.29 KB
 Downloaded:  206 Time(s)

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1duel Reply with quote

just downloaded ...

why don't u try it with CPMA bots ( eg rat, arQon ... ) - u can use VQ3 as gameplay - these bots are better than ID ones and are able to time items ( mh , armors ... ) .. it could be still funny till level 85 xD

In case u will try don't play with bots at higher level ( 86-100 ) because it will be absolutely not so funny xD.

Last edited by Falkland on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:00 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: