the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm18
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › aggressor3 (was aggressor2)
aggressor3 (was aggressor2)
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:14 pm    Post subject: Re: aggressor2 Reply with quote

hyp3rfocus wrote:
:grin:
And Aggressor2-014 is up on both RAINBOW|tourney and RAINBOW|deathmatch since yesterday, they just need to be re-cached.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:58 pm    Post subject: Re: aggressor2 Reply with quote

Done before you even thought of it ;P

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

despite me saying i wouldn't change it for a while, i weakened and made some major changes. sorry. :ops:

i've moved the shotgun/newroom corridor to the end of the room so that i could widen the stairs from the railgun. i've removed the yellow armour from the new room since there was a red armour close by. i've also shortened the name to aggro-015, since agressor2-015 doesn't fit on the server list.

aggro-015.pk3
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

hyp3rfocus wrote:
despite me saying i wouldn't change it for a while, i weakened and made some major changes. sorry. :ops:

i've moved the shotgun/newroom corridor to the end of the room so that i could widen the stairs from the railgun. i've removed the yellow armour from the new room since there was a red armour close by. i've also shortened the name to aggro-015, since agressor2-015 doesn't fit on the server list.

aggro-015.pk3
I have noticed a problem with your naming conventions, not the names itself but rather the logic players who vote for it uses. What happens is that where votes are enabled they vote for Aggressor2 rather than aggro-015. How about renaming #16 to Aggressor2 and simply let clients have the ancient V2 overwritten?

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

Yes, please do that, I kinda hate the acctual aggressor2 version that is on there.

Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2007 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

I think it's time to let go the idea of stairs and passages since the map was already tight enough in it's original state. With the new room in all aggressor2 variations things changed a lot in a good way in my opinion.

I don't like the new stairs from rail to 2nd RL and new RA. It doesn't fit map's unique type of gameplay. So I suggest a new approach - instead of passages and corridors taking away precious space, we should think about adding new portals or at least one (not necessarily two way portals as the current ones). I am not really sure where to put those but we may use aggressor2 as a start and forget about its latest incarnations.
This will make aggro harder to understand by noobs, but it will also make it more flexible which leads to more more furious action. And even more spam, and spawnrape though :(

What do you guys think?
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

dohgob wrote:
I think it's time to let go the idea of stairs and passages since the map was already tight enough in it's original state. With the new room in all aggressor2 variations things changed a lot in a good way in my opinion.

I don't like the new stairs from rail to 2nd RL and new RA. It doesn't fit map's unique type of gameplay. So I suggest a new approach - instead of passages and corridors taking away precious space, we should think about adding new portals or at least one (not necessarily two way portals as the current ones). I am not really sure where to put those but we may use aggressor2 as a start and forget about its latest incarnations.
This will make aggro harder to understand by noobs, but it will also make it more flexible which leads to more more furious action. And even more spam, and spawnrape though :(

What do you guys think?
I think we should have an Aggressor2 (kinda like it is now:ish) and possibly an Aggressor3 with the changes you proposed. However, I have not played nor tested #15 but it might save hyp3r a heap or work :)

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

Quote::
[dohgob wrote]

Uhm...I don't agree or I don't understand or I'm not as experienced a player as you may be (having therefore a different feeling of the map). I think that the unique type of gameplay that you refer to comes precisely from the map being quite small and tight, with multiple choices of movement in every point. Different (and visible) height levels, frequent corners, short stairs, portals and passages do contribute to this. Contrary to what you seem to think, passages don't take up any space, they are carved in the walls; they actually open up new spaces from where it was only solid material. The new room introduces changes to gameplay strategy, but as it was originally set it seemed rather dull, being symply a place to go to get some power ups. The task here is to incorporate, in all senses, that room to the rest of the map so it contributes to the general strategy already present. Making it accessible in the most number of ways is, in my opinion, the way to go. Adding some more colour to it would help too, but that's probably a secondary target.

As for the portals...it certainly is a good idea, and one that everybody has thought of, but like you, nobody yet has come with a neat location for them...

In brief: I'd build up from the last modification instead of rolling back to number...whatever.
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

[no more colour - then I can't call it Aggressor grey!!]
make a secret room in the roof where you have to rocketjump up in order to get the mega-health which has been moved from it's current location, fun and painful at the same time...takes off the overpowered mega-health as it's positioned badly at the highest spot of the map with an overview of a rocketlauncher and you cover two armor locations from that space. In brief, it is the mega-health that makes or breaks Aggressor, without that mega in that location you can't control the map as one does now, portals or not.

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

w1zrd-
How about renaming #16 to Aggressor2 and simply let clients have the ancient V2 overwritten?

i'm going to go back to calling it aggressor2-*** because now that beast has fixed the menu the name actually fits.

i think i'll stick with the stairs for now.

i'm not sure about adding colour, but i wouldn't mind retexturing it a bit. there are some really nice gpl textures from the duke3d retexturing project that would fit the bill. i'd probably stick with the stone walls and wooden floors unless anyone has any suggestions.
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

[no more colour - then I can't call it Aggressor grey!!]
i'm not sure about adding colour, but i wouldn't mind retexturing it a bit.

Ooops, I think I made a too straight forward translation from my mother tongue. What I meant with "adding colour" wasn't anything about the chromatic qualities of the textures. I actually meant something like adding some details to bring more life to the new room and make it more interesting. Perhaps something else underneath the stairs, where a big space is with nothing to fill it...[the portal, the portal!!] Err, sorry about that, it's my other kernel interfering with me.

The point about the mega health it's a good one, but maybe that can be sorted out at the latest stage since it's quite easy to change?

PS. By the way, hyp3r, if you want some help to do some dirty work with Agressor just count with me. I'm thinking in repetitive stuff like adding trims or whatever.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:57 am    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

ok, a bit more tweaking. i've extended the railgun platform a bit so that the stairs down to the new room are a bit wider and straighter. i also tidied up a few more textures.

there was some discussion about removing/moving the mega health, but there wasn't a concrete plan so i left it where it was. it might be a bit unbalancing, but hopefully the red armour in the new room evens it out a bit.

hope you like it.

aggressor2-016

Last edited by hyp3rfocus on Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:04 am; edited 1 time in total
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 1:03 am    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

kernel, i like the idea of there being some more detail in the map. if you could do something like that it would be cool. here's the map source download.

aggressor2-016 zipped map file
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

w1zrd-
I have noticed a problem with your naming conventions, not the names itself but rather the logic players who vote for it uses. What happens is that where votes are enabled they vote for Aggressor2 rather than aggro-015. How about renaming #16 to Aggressor2 and simply let clients have the ancient V2 overwritten?

sorry, just read that again and got what you meant. people are callvoting agressor2 and getting the really old map called aggressor2 not the latest version.

i think i'll start afresh at aggressor3-01. that way people will have to type in the full name since there won't be a map called aggressor3 to confuse things.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: aggro (was aggressor2) Reply with quote

...and here it is.

aggressor3-001.pk3

can we stick this on the servers? i've gone over it with a careful eye and it's looking ok.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
Page 3 of 11

Jump to: