the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm6remix
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › Update to OA 0.8.0
Update to OA 0.8.0
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

I think you already know the answers, but just to clarify :)

Yes it looks awesome with all the funny characters and the menu system has a few extra stuff. Will this help you improve your game? You probably wont notice any difference with the same config.

Servers are now highlighting 'unlagged' in the hostname. It is clear that many people are unaware/unfamiliar with q3.

Many people have yet to realise that OA (experimental) have their own goals and when I guess this will be a unique identity for the game openarena. The current situation is not too important, that's why there is little charisma or much consideration for the community. Bit early for that and the grunts can report the crappy stuff while the ass lickers have a sticker on their backs that says 'pwned' but only they can't see it :)

It is unlikely for OA to be a tournament game with full open source and the pure system is not perfect therefore a compiled modification of some sort will be necessary. There are tons of players on 1.16 who want more all weapons servers. Many of these are very good players. It is also the only protocol which holds it's own community. Later protocols have communities based on mod variants.

If I had 2 servers on protocol 68 then I would be upgrading one server to the latest version and be keeping one on 68, the last recognised protocol of q3.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

Yea, and it was already leaked/rumoured that the final release of OA will be on protocol 68 which may suprise some people.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

But thats not from a players point of view.. is it? If its fun to play, why not play it?

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

Oh I assure you it is.

Many people know what's good and whats not so good. Somehow this has an affect on people to identify these features by a game based mod - mods usually contain multiple features from different coders.

I think creating entities and additional media to create a unique mod probably caused this so I think this is one thing that potentially could be a pain in the arse for the latest version and one way of splitting a community. Of course the dev team are going to try and get people moving to the latest release, they have work to do :) A server on an earlier version is still good for OA, it's just not ideal so some kind souls are moving on to help with the dev.

Yea good idea, 0.7.6 should be upgrading. Maybe a few will decide to go for 0.7.1. A good deal for all I think. :)
HoaX
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

All you need to know is that OA is free and based on another game or copied off or whatever ya call it,...so its bound to the problems it has with all those devs having oppinions and dont listen to much to players who encounter problems that wont be fixed or dont take those problems seriously enough to do something with that critic or suggestions.

Because its a simple fact that devs can fix there own problems they encounter (and fek the rest mentality) Not all devs by the way. but the ones..( oh fek it)

This game will End up just like quake.

Gamers who wanna have fun, play games they buy,..and autoupdate
So they dont have to take the crap of being guiny-pigs like in OA.

I give this game till the end of this year and they Well,...will see .prolly only play freezerail and corckscrew mod cause the basegame is getn worse every So called update :blarg: :asg: :harr: :blarg: :asg: :harr:
:blarg: :asg: :harr: :blarg: :asg: :harr: :blarg: :asg: :harr:

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

LOL ... so all ppl should come back to that shit buggy engine of q3 1.16 or nemesis, right ?

SABOTAGE - BEASTIE BOYS 1994
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

Most if not all 1.16 servers run noghost and/or nemesis

Far superior than base 1.32 games since most popular features are incorporated.

q3nemesis.com/screenshots

NoGhost are still going on strong which is the only competition mod that is used on major tournament sites with CPMA. They even kindly updated the mod and linked OA.

noghost.net/

I find it strange also, but I now realise that the game I play, is no different than the what they play themselves. Yea it does have a few wall bugs and stuff, it's great fun :) It is a little more prone to cheats than later versions but you rarely see any.

After meeting people on defrag and they try out 1.16 I got this email a few days later. If you played on 1.16 and moved to 1.32 then your the first person I know of that's never returned. No I'm not suggesting you play there, newer=better I guess for you. These people have no download options, no additional maps, yet it's not an issue. You learn new stuff and find new ways to move around, and judge angles perfectly. At the same time they would be amazed at OA's capabilities but is not yet ready for gameplay without fps indepndant physics, as Razer points out too.

Quote::
Okay firstly I would like to apologise for not being so active in the Q3 forums recently. This is becuase of my time being taken up with the new F8 Forums for our new game Enemy Territory Quake Wars.

Some of you are aware of this and joined the new forums. Some of you aren't aware of this!

Please be aware that F8 is evolving yet again. We are being re-named as

Team F8 (Still tagged as *F8*). New combined multi gaming clan website. New combined Multi Gaming forums. (Don't worry all links to topics and history in this forum will be untouched) he says with certainty!

Please don't think that Q3 Division is Dead. This is far from it! I have been playing every night on 1.16 servers and also NOGHOST Mod! I have really enjoyed myself with this version and mod. (Much like Insta old style)!

We have a few decisions to make! My suggestion is to get a Noghost 1.16 FFA server or 1 v 1 Server and take F8 Q3 also into 1.16 as there are tons more players that are active in this version. Another option is for 1.30 expansion!

Whatever we do, when we get the new site up and working and the new forums we can all do a vote on this and see who's up for expanding Q3 into different versions.

Although I have to concentrate on bringing the Euro Division of QWET to the forefront and making it successful don't get me wrong. I am still playing my part in Q3 and have not stopped loving the game.

SUNDAY PRACTICES. This has to start again! Let's not let this community fail! We need SCOUTS out on 1.16 Noghost servers recruiting for this community also!

On another note!

This goes out to Clan Friends as well as Clan Members. I know some of you have allready joined and welcomed QWET with open arms and are playing an active part over at the new forums (soon to be combined)!
But I want all of you to go to the new site and register!!

This is a very active forum with lots of new members as well as old members!

LINK - www.team-f8.com
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

LOL ... so all ppl should come back to that shit buggy engine of q3 1.16 or nemesis, right ?

LOL?

WTF. Yes, a server and a client build released on the same day. WTF indeed.

Before I go into this build's feature set, I want to make something clear

As the NoGhost client matures it is going to get stricter and stricter in how it detects cheats. If you have EVER used a cheat with Quake DO NOT download this build or use it. Only use this copy of the client mod with a clean copy of quake. You will drop if your dog/brother/mother used a cheat with quake years ago, even if it was deleted. Spread the word.

noghost.net/
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

WTF. Yes, a server and a client build released on the same day. WTF indeed.

Before I go into this build's feature set, I want to make something clear

As the NoGhost client matures it is going to get stricter and stricter in how it detects cheats. If you have EVER used a cheat with Quake DO NOT download this build or use it. Only use this copy of the client mod with a clean copy of quake. You will drop if your dog/brother/mother used a cheat with quake years ago, even if it was deleted. Spread the word.

And what will happen to cheaters ??? Their IPs or UIDs will be sent to the No Such Agency ?
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

I will phone the police or send them to play you :)
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
I will phone the police or send them to play you :)

I am sorry for sarcasm , but it's against what I've read not against you :)

I mean , I've read the noghost forum and I don't understand what's the difference between NoGhots anticheat system and PB.

Both seem to me based on the same concept :
- the system detect a well knwon cheat (string based recognized or other kind of token or other such tecnique )
- the system kick/ban user UID and /or IP ( again string based recognized )

This remembers me the virus - antivirus "war" :/
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

OA doesnt have any antibot at all. PB runs as a process and is constantly monitoring and updating - like a virus checker. NG has nothing like that, they put in their own stuff and it does not get updated. They have detection methods and for obvious reasons it won't be revealed.

I never had the cheat system on with servers. Sometimes pure but it's not an issue for me. Maybe I feel comfortable identifying them. On old default maps it's easier because you get to learn distances and positioning of sound. I never watched these demos but it's blatently obvious when someone is using aim, and the experienced players would be agreeing if it was. :)
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
They have detection methods and for obvious reasons it won't be revealed.

Server commands analysys.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

I havent seen them, I've just been lovin all the new effects and trying them out :) There's a nice rainbow glare at certain spots.

I didnt notice any new commands about security in the new mod release so I just guessed it was improved internal stuff.
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2008 9:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Update to OA 0.8.0 Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:

I didnt notice any new commands about security in the new mod release so I just guessed it was improved internal stuff.

The mod makes server commands analysis and establishes a level of cheating for every player connected. I dont' know (yet) the kicking/banning criteria. I didn't try it , only ... ehm ... view it XD
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: