the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: ztn3dm1
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing
ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 8:09 pm    Post subject: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

ok, so here's a playable version of the map. what i would like is some help on is gameplay. and i don't mean some bots running around but some action on a server with real people. thoughts on anything you come to think of - ammo, health, weapons. and so on. but i won't insert any plasma guns or bfgs :P

the r_speeds are not very good. it will probably give a low frame rate for people with not so new computers and i don't know how to fix that without redesigning the entire map. i've been thinking of something to make the level draw in a more friendly manner, but it would require some serious changes of things i already like...

all work and no play makes pulchr a dull boy... so anyway i've gotten some help from cacatoes and he has set up the "OMG cacatoes did one" server at: 88.160.192.237:27960

it's running 0.7.7, please drop by and test the map.

the map can be downloaded from http://www.anakronologerna.se/pulchr/pulchr007.pk3

the pulchr007.txt contains some additional info.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

i found a shortcut :D

maybe some kind of glasswalls would fit nice into this map or so?

demo.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  demo.zip
 Filesize:  15.71 KB
 Downloaded:  196 Time(s)
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 11:56 pm    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

Uhm, it has to be tried in real matches, but, do you think there are enough weapons?

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 29, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

I like it.

you might consider quad or haste for uncoordinated online ctf fun.

for serious ctf games I like the map as it is now.

however, if you got time to waste you could make some of the jumps harder (not much strafing needed to jump from flag to flag on the middle level) or even easier for skilled players by widening the gaps on the middle level, so one can strafe-jump from flag to flag with higher speed.

0xdan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

Nice work! i like this map :)
my first impressions are: geometry is rather well thought and design is original and eye-candy.
That said, it's not very helpful for you so I will put it on 42|0x2A server (071) to have some real gameplay tests.

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 10:10 am    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

Pretty awesome map, Pulchr! I like the smooth geometry and you can jump over edges in 3 spots, with good movement. :grin:
Also in my opinion a quad or has is completly ok in CTF-gametype. :p

Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

That's nice !! But I think there is too much rail-guns for a map like this, where you can kill some one in other camp from yours...

But it's nice, I look forward to seeing your map with skins.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

why not contribute this map to OA...? :D
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Jul 30, 2008 7:33 pm    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

Yay just create a RN|CTF Batte server :sexy:

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

jackthompson: the shortcut is intentional - you can get very fast cap times if you jump that way and don't get knocked down my weapon hits.

the idea was to send it in for the next openarena version, but you never know if it would be included - after all it doesn't got proper textures. also the set release for openarena 0.8.0 as i've understood it is 08/08/08 so that gives me less than a week to fix things and send it in.

kernel_panic: good point. i never thought of the number of weapons. waiting for a weapon to respawn is not that much fun. given that you always spawn with the shotgun maybe another rocket launcher would be enough?

popejo: i guess i can't strafe-jump well enough since the distances seem fine to me. also the last jump should be short enough to do with much speed. you are supposed to be able to do that jump after you've just come up from the jump pad. but maybe the platforms can be some units longer apart.

pope & joki: should a powerup such as haste/quad replace the mega health? i'm not that keen on having more than one of each such powerup. maybe a haste could be fun, but i'm not that sure about the quad.

darkal: i see what you mean with the rail - but i don't want to remove it since it's the most fun weapon in the game.

the other way of solving that problem would be to change the map so you can't see from base to base. but that would mean a bit of redesigning and the map must be ready soon. and i'm getting tired of it as well =(

thanks for your input - i'll see what i can do.

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 31, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: ctf-pulchr: map that need some gameplay testing Reply with quote

I totaly disagree on the most fun weapon part. The rail should be bananinated from the quake series! :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: