the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: ztn3dm1
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › Defrag folders
Defrag folders
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: Your best VQ3 runs Reply with quote

I cant find my runs in baseoa. They are hidden, and I cant figure out how to show hidden in Vista. Also where are we supposed to do VQ3 runs? The VQ3 freestyle is set so you cant vote right?

FPS Doug
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Your best VQ3 runs Reply with quote

rashdawg wrote:
I cant find my runs in baseoa. They are hidden, and I cant figure out how to show hidden in Vista. Also where are we supposed to do VQ3 runs? The VQ3 freestyle is set so you cant vote right?
Your demos for it is usually in ../program files/openarena/defrag/demos

As for the VQ3 run server, we have one but it's not on-line 24/7 since most runs occur in CPM. If you want to do VQ3 runs in peace and quiet, then play them off-line or wait for when that server is up.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2007 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Your best VQ3 runs Reply with quote

Yeah I dont even have a defrag folder. Im not sure how I can access it. I can view my demos in OA, but I cant find the files for them.

FPS Doug
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 9:02 am    Post subject: Re: Your best VQ3 runs Reply with quote

I get the same problems all the time even though it's probably basic stuff that can easily be explained. :D

I think a server can create a folder name, so any recorded demos can be saved in a folder specified by the server. So any mods that have a folder the demos will be saved there, I think, if there is a sub folder named 'demos'. Basically they are saved as normal, but maybe just not the same location you expect to find them :D

By default they will probably be saved in baseq3. If you create a folder called 'demos' in baseq3 I think this is the default demo folder.

I dont think they are hidden unless your have your OS set so any unrecognised extensions (like .dm68blah) are ignored.
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 6:35 am    Post subject: Re: Your best VQ3 runs Reply with quote

well i think that may be what is going on with Vista. Maybe it hides enrecognised extensions, but I dont know how i would change that setting. Not sure, Things were so much easier in older windows versions.

FPS Doug
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

Im pretty sure i remember Vista had the openarena folders in the users folder in root, then under your username... Dig a bit there. Sorry i cant remember exactley.

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 1:59 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

With hidden extensions on windows you can do two things

1) Associate an extension as a file type, which isnt the best thing as it might now show other files so you would need to the same for everyone.

2) Check for any properties in the file manager to display the extension. This is the best way as I dont know why windows think users only wants to display only files it recognises. I'm not sure if a search for *.dm68 would work under the games folder if the extensions are not set to be shown :(

Since the game folder is specified on the server that will create a directory if it does not exist. ( eg. fs_game any_mod). I am not 100% sure but if that mod folder has either a demos or baseq3 [ bah.. edit : is it baseoa?] folder then the demos will be stored there, otherwise they will go into the main baseq3 folder. I think most people will download defrag manually which already contains a demo folder. Just make sure you have a demos folder in themain base directory

I dont know if i can connect to the rainbow servers with q3, can i? Ive tried before and it dont work. Would the demos work on my standard q3 1.32 with defrag?
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

hehe.. sometimes you forget the most obvious thing, like a google search.

This link is quite funny as it even shows you a flash video of someone doing it :D

kb.adobe.com/selfservi...&sliceId=2

Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
With hidden extensions on windows you can do two things

1) Associate an extension as a file type, which isnt the best thing as it might now show other files so you would need to the same for everyone.

2) Check for any properties in the file manager to display the extension. This is the best way as I dont know why windows think users only wants to display only files it recognises. I'm not sure if a search for *.dm68 would work under the games folder if the extensions are not set to be shown :(

Since the game folder is specified on the server that will create a directory if it does not exist. ( eg. fs_game any_mod). I am not 100% sure but if that mod folder has either a demos or baseq3 [ bah.. edit : is it baseoa?] folder then the demos will be stored there, otherwise they will go into the main baseq3 folder. I think most people will download defrag manually which already contains a demo folder. Just make sure you have a demos folder in themain base directory

I dont know if i can connect to the rainbow servers with q3, can i? Ive tried before and it dont work. Would the demos work on my standard q3 1.32 with defrag?
You can connect to our Defrag servers, they are configured for both Open Arena and Q3. You might need to move maps from baseq3 -> baseoa, if they end up in the wrong directory when downloading from server (we have map downloads enabled on them).

RN|CPM runs is actually one of the more popular servers around, VQ3 Freestyle is also populated, but not as much.

Demos will work in both OA and Q3, just as normal.

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 2:13 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

Here is the flash that chiq posted above :)

[ edit: Good that you keep an eye on me :) ]

Last edited by W1ZrD on Mon Dec 24, 2007 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 6:49 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

duplicate post :mph:

Last edited by chiquita on Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:03 am; edited 1 time in total
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

Quote::

You can connect to our Defrag servers, they are configured for both Open Arena and Q3. You might need to move maps from baseq3 -> baseoa, if they end up in the wrong directory when downloading from server (we have map downloads enabled on them).

ah ok.. it was ages ago i tried it and if i remember right the download seemed to start again and again.. so maybe it did dl and I just need to copy it.

btw.. you posted the wrong flash vid hehe. i think it was the vista one he couldnt work out :D
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

Wow, they showed it so someone who had never seen a pc could do it. It seems so simple, it makes me fell stupid. I would have never looked there. The first place I always look for settings is in the control panel.

FPS Doug
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 4:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

rashdawg wrote:
Wow, they showed it so someone who had never seen a pc could do it. It seems so simple, it makes me fell stupid. I would have never looked there. The first place I always look for settings is in the control panel.
I've never used Vista but I have to say it seems REALLY! stupid to have the option under 'organize'.

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag folders Reply with quote

Yea, very. They claim to make it easier for users yet start making it even worse. I have no doubt the ppl at vista knows its stupid but they only realised it after it was coded :D It's the first thing I would probably want to do when setting stuff up.

I think the issue I had connecting was the pak files are going to baseq3 instead of baseoa. So... dont hate me for saying it hehe.. but.... I think this may be a server admin thing :D I think the folder name is the mod name which should be set when running the server. I think it's one of the fs_thingies, but can probably be set to anything in the config too.

I used to try connecting to RN servers lots of times and the download repeats itself. So.. after reading W1Zes post I checked the folder and I found two full downloads and two tmp files (which were obviously the thing attemping to dl it again.) I might be wrong though.. but it would be a shame if there was no fix for this because people would maybe give it go and if it doesnt work probably never try a RN server again. Im a bit of a techi-tard so I would have never had known if not for the forums, but it's an odd problem if your a techi-tard like me and I probably wont have worked it out even with my best friend google :D

edit : i checked my best friend :D and found this, svn.icculus.org/quake3...&view=auto bit much for me but maybe this version uses different option names to start the game? But this wont be a problem if you add : set fs_game baseoe in the server config..

like this? www.fpsadmin.com/forum...hp?t=10141

Last edited by chiquita on Wed Dec 26, 2007 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: