the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: ztn3dm2
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA!
Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA!
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fragzilla
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

Insta Unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OpenArena!
(it can be 1 v 1, 2 v 2, or team against team.. although it is played as a duel against 2 players: 1 v 1 mainly)

I don't know if this is the right place to post this, but since this Quake mod is not implemented in OpenArena (methinks), and there are not servers of it...

I am not aware of the technical details that are needed to create an Insta Unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OpenArena".

If someone knows, how and if it is possible to create it in OpenArena, would he/she be so kind of give some information here?

I don't know if anyone in the forum have played it -I guess some have, at least-, but that mod really rocks!
It's a compendium of good rail aim, quickness, and high technique and skills in movement...

You have a high knock-back in the rail, so you use it to jump, like the rocket jump... (cpma etc) only that with the rail the jumps can be much quicker, higher and longer. It is up to the player and his skills to control and take advantage of it...

The result is a fast game in which players almost don't walk or run, but jump most of the time using the ground and the walls, to a point that you can almost fly concatenating the jumps... and all that shooting and fragging at the same time.

That makes it a complete new and different game on its own, related to "normal" Quake3_OpenArena.

It is great fun in teams, and the greatest joy in duels 1 v 1 (for both players and spectators). As usual, the noobies like more teams and the skilled players prefer duels...

It is my believe that the server settings for the mod may not be too complicated since it is instaunlagged based rail, which already exists in OA.
Maybe with some small piece of additional software (????)

Does anyone if it requires something special besides a normal insta rail server, but configured to have a high knock-back in the rail to allow jumping with it?
If that is the case ... is that piece of software licenced free (GPL, etc)???

Any info and suggestions are wellcome for the future expansion and pleasure of OpenArena and its players...

If all the software pieces are not available as "free" software, Can anyone explain what is needed to make/complete it?

I dont have too much time (and I lose it playing OA, :) ), and i have other problems and things to solve actually, but I am prepared to collaborate in a project to implement that mod for OpenArena

God knows (and all my EXs... ) that I miss that mod. It is actually the "Mother of all Mods", and should be in OpenArena, and other "free" games too...

Let's create an Insta Unlagged Rail jump CTF, on "Q3CTF1" Mod/server for OpenArena!

Thanks,

GIUSTIZIA MOSSE IL MIO ALTO FATTORE:
FECEMI LA DIVINA POTESTATE,
LA SOMMA SAPIENZA E ‘L PRIMO AMORE.
DINANZI A ME NON FUR COSE CREATE
SE NON ETERNE, E IO ETERNA DURO.
LASCIATE OGNI SPERANZA, VOI CH’ENTRATE.
(Inferno, Canto III, vv. 1-9)
Fragzilla
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

Yeah, well... Sorry I forgot to say that the map "Q3CTF1" is, obviously NOT "free"software, since it belongs to Quake 3 (I think it is the map used for this mod in Quake 3, Correct me if is not this one, cause I never pay attention to the map's names...)

But some months ago I was in an OA server playing in a "free" - I guess - version of this map. The free version was not that good, actually, and the original is better...

But that can be solved too... , Maybe it has been already modified, or it can be (I am prepared to collaborate in it as I said in my former post). Maybe there is another version, or maps to play this mod...

Has anyone any information about this apparently free version of "CTF1" ?
any other possible maps ?
who has made it?
where it can be obtained?
source ?
what is needed to/if to modify it?

Any info is welcome...

Hmmm, by the way, for those that don't know the mod, and may hesitate considering CTF as somehow "noobie"... I repeat that is mainly a 1 v 1 mod, and the flag is almost collateral here... it is just a way to score. The main thing is the duel against the 2 players (or more...), the rail jumping, and the aim...
So consider it as a Rail jump-fly cpma duel, or something similar...

Those who have played it already know that is great fun, quick, skills hungry, and motivating...

cheers...

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 12:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for Reply with quote

An InstaUnlagged Rail server would be pretty nice! Btw why is it calling "unlagged"? Any optimizations on the netcode like in cpma?

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

Jocke and Beast are working on unlagged code, it is not ready yet as far as I'm aware but haven't had an update of it lately.

Unlagged is a little like the bwOptimize in CPMA's code, evens out the lag/ping difference for players making it more smooth and even for everyone.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

btw, fr@g, is that something like RCTF, the instagib CTF mod that floats around?

Fragzilla
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

W1ZrD wrote:
btw, fr@g, is that something like RCTF, the instagib CTF mod that floats around?

hmmm. Im not sure what you mean with 'floats around"...

I guess it is RCTF, but I'm not completely sure... That' s why I have tried to explain the features of the Mod in my 2 first posts.

It is already some years that I have not played that in Quake 3. cause I don't have Q3 installed (sigh..., the only game that i have actually bough and payed full price for, in a shop, in my entire life :/ )

The question is that there were servers of Rail (only) Capture the Flag. , and in those servers players did not rail-jumped, or very little, I believe that the knock-back settings of the rail in the server were low (or normal)

And there were other servers of Rail (only) Capture the Flag, and in those servers players DID rail-jumped. Very big jumps, i mean. I believe that settings of the rail in those other RCTF server were HIGH (more than normal)

What I mean with that is that there were 2 kind of servers for Rail (only) Capture the Flag. In on kind you used to run or walk normally, and in the others, you could run or walk too, but the main way to transit the map was trough concatenated jumps with the rail.

That's to say; there were paths already established. Points in the map were shooting and jumping allowed you to move in the map at high speed, linking one rail jump, after another...

Players have to know the paths by heart, they are not marked in the map. Is the normal Q3CTF1 map...

In this way players could, if skilled, go from 1 corner to the other, from flag to flag just rail jumping, not walking, and a great speed (if desired and having the skills..).
The good players made it spectacular!. They spent most of the time in the air, like flying almost, and not walking in the ground!

Later if you are good enough, you can improvise inside the paths, and move away jumping from the paths, create your own personal paths to move inside the map, run, walk or jump as desired etc

And at the same time that you jump-Fly you can rail and frag the other players

I will elaborate it: You make a big jump and you are in the air in the middle of your jump, for instance. And there, you can shoot and frag other players.
When you are to take land from your long jump, you do not stop and/or walk. What you do is directly is to jump again when you are about to touch the ground (or a wall, ceiling...) and this process allow you to almost fly, linking one jump after another...
So if you try to make the same trajectory walking: going from flag to flag, for instance. And another player makes it jumping(flying); the one that jumps will go there and return while the player that walks may not have even reached yet the middle of the map in the way towards where the other team's flag is...

For that the map Q3CTF1 (or a version of it) is UNAVOIDABLE, cause the Mod was almost exclusively played in that map. other maps were used later too in some servers. Not in all. Some 'Purist" RCTF servers run exclusively on Q3CTF1.

goshh, There must be still some Quake 3 RCTF servers still...

I'm not sure if I clarify the concept. Is the jumping_flying concept that i am interested in. Not just a CTF server with only rail.

So unavoidable for the server are :

- Instagib
- High knock-back in the rail
- Q3CTF1 (or a version of it)

Annd then, maybe other things, but thats is what I don't know.. and I'm looking for information and collaboration... !!!

Some other maps can be used too, but not many, The maps have to be good enough so you can jump and make paths jumping between the wall, objects, ground etc.

Fr@gal Warming

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Dec 01, 2007 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

What you describe with jump-flying is a part of the mod RCTF. This mod is unlagged. There are two US servers that run this mod, but they are not up all the time. Not many people frequent the servers, so the owners of the servers (Rud and Vile) only put them up when there may be people wanting to play the mod. I also just recently noticed an Unlagged CTF server, but I havent checked it to see if it incorporates rail jumping.

FPS Doug
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Dec 07, 2007 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

RCTF, eh? I think I have even seen a video on youtube with RUD playing it.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for Reply with quote

Fragzilla wrote:

goshh, There must be still some Quake 3 RCTF servers still...
Fr@gal Warming

aah.. this sounds like NoGhost. I spoke to Wiz last night about this.

yes.. people do still play 1.16 TDM and CTF etc :D

forums.noghost.net/cgi...nboard.cgi

www.noghost.net/

I like the movment and I think thats why its still popular on 1.16 as the server CPU calculates movement regardless of connections. It feels odd and unlike basic vq3 and CPM. It's definately more fun and you have the added pressure of letting your team down as well as yourself :D I dont have good aim but knowing the maps and predicting where the enemy are moving to can make a big difference
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

chiq, thank you for last night, I enjoyed it :)
Uhh, take it as you wish...

I'll look in to this, it seems like something worth it's time.
Basically what it felt like was UltraFreeze, without the freeze.
And in all honesty, that ball-running-thing was a bit confusing, but I guess it's a matter of getting used to it.

Let's see if it works under OA..

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for Reply with quote

hehe

naa i think you were thinking there was a purpose for the ball thing.. it just means that you get power ups and every person you shoot, you get their health too.. thats the good part. The bad part is that everyone wants to kill you before you become invincible and get your powerups :D It is strange at times because if you try and protect yourself and hide then other ppl will just get points and you end up losing, well i usually do :D

Its better on a bigger map though.
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for OA! Reply with quote

The problem is that, as in the end, I got the ball and ran around shooting things and just kept increasing in strength so that was why it never switched, because nobody could kill me. But it was fun, not saying otherwise :)

Fragzilla
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for Reply with quote

Thanks for you info "chiquita".

You have reminded me of www.noghost.net. I had been there before, but had completely forgotten about it. So long ago... :s

You said :" yes.. people do still play 1.16 TDM and CTF etc :D"

Well, I don't remember for it sure, but I think I have played "Rail jumping CTF" in 1.32. Sometimes I feel like installing again Q3... :(

Maybe I will. If only to verify some things, and luckily to meet some Ol' fellows...

BTW, where did you take your name from, it sounds nice...?

Fr@gZill@

Last edited by Fragzilla on Mon Jan 14, 2008 2:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Insta unlagged Rail jump CTF, on Q3CTF1 Quake 3 mod for Reply with quote

I believe that Maverick was busy with NG and when mods started appearing on 1.32. These freeze tag mods were all different and hard to find any good one. They started messing with them too much.

There is a NG for 1.32. NG is a client/server mod which meant you can configure your own settings and the server may have had its own options to force it.

Many of the 1.32 players and clans still come back to 1.16. I upgraded to 1.32 and thought there was no way back. For a year i messed around on defrag rather than face all carnage going on in every other server. You can see the difference here between 1.16/1.32
www.qxmon.net/q3mon-br...T+NEW+LIST

www.qxmon.net/q3mon-br...T+NEW+LIST

So I think there is team games and freeze, so all we need is a config just to start with? The good thing is that the ctf player tend to hang out on trick maps too so that would work good since they would have defrag to connect to. There are often as many players playing defrag maps on 1.16 as they are on defrag. But I have to admit, there i a big difference in quality :D There is a remake of dm6 map called 6++ and the best dm17 mod in my opinion is ssdm17_V2, I'm not famimiar with the CTF maps. Some of the OA maps would be amazing for TDM. You see, after people upgraded they couldnt get paks, players had their own custom stuff, you couldnt connect to servers, not the right map, people clueless :D etc etc
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: