the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: reqbath
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › Need help boosting my frames.
Need help boosting my frames.
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:05 pm    Post subject: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

Here are the specs for my PC
Manufacturer: Acer
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4800+ (2 CPUs), ~2.5GHz
Memory: 1790MB RAM
Hard Drive: 194 GB
Video Card: NVIDIA GeForce 6150SE nForce 430
Operating System: Windows Vista™ Home Premium
I dont really see why my PC can only run decent in 600X800 resolution with the texture detail set to low and everything set to 16 bit. This makes the game look crappy, but still my frames will drop as low as 40 on some maps. It also never goes over 90 frames for over one second. Is this a problem that OA does not support dual core, and I need a better graphics card? My parents old Windows ME computer with a comparable graphics card could achieve the same fps, but it was a 866Mhz processor with only 526Mb of ram.
gunnarbot
Trickjumping Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

put this in your baseoa/q3config.cfg

seta r_smp 1
it might help you, but it can also hang OpenArena so watch out :)

also take a look at this www.esreality.com/?a=p...id=1391897

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

You have several things restricting your gameplay. First and foremost is the gfx. It's an onboard one, and even though it is newer than some nvidia 4200 and such parts, due to it's pipeline/ram/shading limitations it cant give you enough fps even with an old engine as ioquke3. Second is your operating system. If you have some "bling-bling" turned on in your system it will significantly reduce your gaming expirience.

So, if you dont have cash to buy a gfx card (a 8600 would do the trick), make sure you have the latest gfx drivers from nVidia, if you refuse to go xp, at least turn off all the nice features in vista like aero, and even themes (use win classic). That should help a bit.

I tried playing oa on a new laptop with vista, 2 gigs of ram, an x2 processor and a nv 8400 gfx. Oa ran 125 fps only on 800x600 with no bots/players (max settings). Thats just to tell you how much aero/integrated gfx/older drivers make an old engine run slow.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

Your PC System is very bad balanced (concerning CPU and vcard). As u said the much slower PC of ur parents even get the same FPS bcuz of the real vcard I'm pretty sure that u only play @ a onbord solution. I advice u to buy a new NVIDIA vcard (at least GeForce 6600 GT) so u can enjoy the game with 125 FPS @ high details! It's pity that ur fast dualcore CPU has to suffer this crap onboard stuff ;)

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

yeah i know i need a better card, but I dont really have the money to spend right now. I wish I did. I was just thinking that I could at least try to optimize my dual core right now to get by.

FPS Doug
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

Ok give it a try with the AMD Dual-Core Optimizer

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Nov 05, 2007 10:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

The thing about multiple cores you should know is, that for a program to use more than one core, it has to be programmed to be multi-threaded. In other words it has to be programmed to execute parts of the program on more cores in parallel (at the same time). Thats not an easy task, and that is the main reason why quad cores are not 4 times faster than a single core processor and so on.. Since oa is not multi-threaded it is executed on one core only, whatever you do, whatever processor you may have. No optimization in the world can change that.

I'd advise everyone to read up on mutithreading and and multiprocessing, coz things aint so easy to understand at a glance. ( en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...r_science) )

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

k i guess I will just have to spring for a new graphics card sometime.

Note: Read sometime as in when I dont have to pay for Books and tuition.

FPS Doug
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

Regardless of that, that system should run Open Arena without any problems, in spite of the graphics card. As you said: the ME system with lower performance runs better, so obviously something is wrong in the setup.
As the developers of OA states, it should run on the following:
  • Pentium II 233MHz / AMD K6-2 300MHz or equally powerful processor
  • 64MB of system memory
  • OpenGL supported video card with 16MB of video memory. (Voodoo Banshee, TNT and up)
  • 300MB of hard drive space

The game in theory can run on Pentium 100's with a Voodoo2, but don't expect much performance over 20fps and the loading time to be less than a minute.
With that said, my FPS is about 20-60 at any given time, it depends how heavy the map is on rdraw. In my case, I have lower hardware specs than you (!!) and I do have higher FPS count.

So I would strongly suggest that you take a look at your resource allocation, programs running in the background e.t.c
To start with, try to compile OA (or ioquake) source code from scratch and also use the default q3config.cfg (untweaked) it generates after properly executed.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:41 am    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

I strongly disagree. The integrated graphics card is much slower than even a g-force 2 mx. Because it shares the system's ram it has to share it with all the system's devices (processor, sata/ata controler/ soundcard/ lan/ hard drive(s)/ etc. Because of that i has to wait its turn do do things. So its easy to figure it out why graphics card maufacturers put memory for the gfx on the boards itself instead of using the system ram. And its no coincidence that graphics cards usualy have a newer generation of ram on them. They need ultra-fast high bandwith ram to process what they need to, with no other devices interfeering. You are greatly underestimating this issue. My explanation is a bit rough and sketchy but i think you'll get the idea ;)

And dont forget the os. The one he uses on that system is greatly gamer-unfriendly. He could get mofre fps just by making a dual-boot with xp, and playing the game in xp.

These things are all what i've personaly experienced, i'm not biased at all towards any manufacturer/os or anything else. Like [sXe] said before, even a 6600 GT would revolutionise his gaming experience because otherwise its a damn fine pc still.

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

it shocks me that integrated graphic cards still are so bad

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:10 am    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

Well, Intel and nVidia are trying to make things better, but integrated gfx and shared ram are allways going to be quite slow.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Need help boosting my frames. Reply with quote

pulchr wrote:
it shocks me that integrated graphic cards still are so bad

Bad for playing complex 3D games but for office work onboard graphic is still enough.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: