the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm17
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › Sound trick I learned
Sound trick I learned
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 pm    Post subject: Sound trick I learned Reply with quote

So what about all those mono recordings you have in a dark corner full of dust? Thanks to the technology of the late 20th century now you can convert them to stereo!

Impossible, I hear you saying. I had my doubts too, but now I enjoy my old mono albums (all the zero of them) in fake stereo.

And since nobody is interested in this except perhaps Falkland, here is the brief version:

Code::
 sudo aptitude install ecasound

ecasound -i my-mono-track.mp3 -etf:12 -o my-faked-stereo-track.mp3

Adjust to taste the number from ~8-40 milliseconds (delay between channels).

By the way, I only discovered this because I downloaded the soundtrack of Quake II this morning. There were some tracks missing that I retrieved from Youtube but were in mono. With this shit now they sound as cool as the others. If somebody wants to remember the awesomeness of fragging monsters with Sonic Mayhem in the background just send me a PM and I'll give you the link to my uber compilation.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound trick I learned Reply with quote

OMG ... :|

Are you a mind reader ? :s

Because I thought to make a post exactly like yours but describing another ( and longer and probably more boring ) procedure.

During the last X-Mas I got lost two nights with a youtube search of some music rarities. After finding something interesting , I tried to record them but without success because the fu**ing proprietary youtube player locks audio device(s). I had success with rawrec (actually unmantained) which is a commandline tool that can record sounds directly from /dev/dsp in raw 16 bit PCM at 44.100 Hz ( anyway man pages should help for recording in different format/frequency )

Then I've imported the records in audacity ( which has a function for importing raw PCM ) , normalized the tracks , did other tunes and of course added to some mono tracks the same fake-stereo effect first by separating LEFT and RIGHT channels and then by appending 25 msec of silence at the beginning of the left track :D ... a very OLD-STYLE stereo effect :harr:

The true stereo effect is not so different : the only difference is that in a multitrack recording enviroment ( professional studio ) you can apply the delay/reverber only to the significant tracks : mainly voices and mid-frequency instruments - eg guitar - ... the other frequencies are usually not treated because our hearing is not sensible to stereo effect of low or very low frequencies ( that's why usually a single subwoofer is enough for reproducing low frequencies in HI-FI ) and of the high - very high frequencies .

To be complete , our hearing is usually not sensible to sounds lower than 20Hz and higher than 20000 Hz ( strictly dependant of personal sensitivity : there's ppl reported to be able to hear lower sounds than 20 Hz and higher than 20000 till 25000 Hz or so )

EDIT : after editing the tracks with audacity I've exported them in WAV 16bit PCM and then converted them in MP3 with lame by command live for the maximum "fidelity" .. :D

lame -m s -q 0 -b 320 "track.wav" "track.mp3"

lame --longhelp for a full description of the command line options.
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound trick I learned Reply with quote

Really? That's quite a coincidence then.

Anyway, what's the problem you have with youtube videos? I grab them from /tmp and rename to whatever.flv. Then extract the audio like
ffmpeg -i whatever.flv -acodec copy whatever.(container extension)
Iff you don't like the original audio codec just leave out the 'acodec copy' part and ffmpeg will reencode the track according to the extension you provided.

I thought about using Audacity, but the ecasound trick is much quicker. The only thing is that it's very cheap, it just duplicates the original channel and adds a delay. I think the proper way would be to increase the amplitude of the delayed track a couple of notches and perhaps do some equalizing. Still, the results are awesome.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:40 am    Post subject: Re: Sound trick I learned Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
Really? That's quite a coincidence then.

:grin:

kernel_panic wrote:

Anyway, what's the problem you have with youtube videos? I grab them from /tmp and rename to whatever.flv. Then extract the audio like
ffmpeg -i whatever.flv -acodec copy whatever.(container extension)
Iff you don't like the original audio codec just leave out the 'acodec copy' part and ffmpeg will reencode the track according to the extension you provided.

Usually I prefer to record tracks live while playing rather than search in ~/.mozilla/firefox/Cache for youtube videos . Then most of the audio encoders are lossy and converting between different formats with default and different quality options doesn't give the same result than a conversion from PCM to a lossy format with the maximum quality. The only problem was that youtube flash player locks audio device and other programs - like audacity itself - cannot use it to record.

kernel_panic wrote:

[...] I think the proper way would be to increase the amplitude of the delayed track a couple of notches and perhaps do some equalizing.

Normalization action usually performs an amplitude adjust over too high and too low peaks , to have the final track at a relatively constant amplitude level ( something like what I've learnt back in the days while using some analogic instruments called dynamic compressors - or so - which were used to avoid the turntable WooW effect and to preserve the life of woofer , subwoofer and tweeter equipments in discos )

Anyway , I think it's possible playing with audacity and non linear pass-low/pass-high filters ( in opposition with linear filters that truncate sounds at the given frequencies - eg 800 Hz - 10000Hz ) to elaborate tracks to obtain something very close to a real stereo track.

BTW , still about youtube ... recently they've added HTML5 <video> tag support ( www.youtube.com/html5 ) followed after few days by Vimeo too , but both don't support ogg-theora formats. But I've found a site for flash/ogg video online conversion : tinyogg.com/ :)
Delucia
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound trick I learned Reply with quote

if this site helps:
vixy.net/
and in addition to that, u can try Allok Mpeg Convertor....(quite useful tool)

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Sound trick I learned Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:

Anyway, what's the problem you have with youtube videos? I grab them from /tmp and rename to whatever.flv. [...]

I found this program very useful to grab via commandline youtube and other services videos : packages.debian.org/un...youtube-dl

Available for most of the deb based distribution .
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: