the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: hub3dm1
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › bzz4
bzz4
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 03, 2009 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

And my attempt at hijacking the prestigious bzzz threads with high quality short animation movies goes on today with "Creature comforts", by Nick Park. Winner of The Academy Award for Animated Short Film in 1989, it consists in a series of interviews with animals living in a zoo to find out their impressions and conditions there. Deeply touching.

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 1:56 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

"Space alone". Ilias Sounas (2007). Who said that Flash is no good?

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 04, 2009 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

"Doll face", Andrew Huang (2005). This one is pretty harsh but good all the same.

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 07, 2009 9:47 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

This one is genious. Hell's bells (1929).

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 6:40 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

Me big red wizard wiff 255 Int.
I'd sacrifice 1 hour of my lifetime to be alive and witness this event in the future.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 4:11 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

Joki wrote:

I'd sacrifice 1 hour of my lifetime to be alive and witness this event in the future.

I don't think u could be witness of such this event because the earth conditions ( atmosphere events , earthquakes , ocean levels ... ) will mostly change before the impact under the gravity of the "object" ...

anyway you are actually witness of the Nobel Prize (preventive - he did exactly nothing till now : he's not "exactly" mother Teresa en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa ) assigment to the chief of a country in which a previous leader just authorized military forces to do this over thousands of civilians ( the actual and the future generations ) :

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 7:12 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

YEEEEES!

I love off-topic, and I love to argue with Falkland \:D/

Quote::
I don't think u could be witness of such this event because the earth conditions ( atmosphere events , earthquakes , ocean levels ... ) will mostly change before the impact under the gravity of the "object" ...

The argument bears some logic, but you've got the assumptions wrong. For starters, the gravity of your object is minimal: not only its volume is a fraction of that of the planet, but also the typical density of an asteroid is about 5 times less than Earth's. Second, the impact velocity would be of tens of Km/s, unless by a freak chance the orbits of both objects were almost coincident--which we can rule out because it would be discovered long ago that we have a companion rock orbiting the Sun. At this speed, even if the asteroid had substantial gravity to do something as you describe--which it hasn't--there would simply be no time for you to realize. And third, I'm not any sure about what connections you make between the causes (presumably high gravity of the asteroid) and the effects ("atmosphere events , earthquakes , ocean levels ...").

anyway you are actually witness of the Nobel Prize (preventive - he did exactly nothing till now : he's not "exactly" mother Teresa en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mother_Teresa ) assigment to the chief of a country in which a previous leader just authorized military forces to do this over thousands of civilians ( the actual and the future generations ) :

I love your shameless political plug. Seriously, I do, it's giving me the excuse to procrastinate for a few minutes while I answer your post! Sooo, mother Teresa, uhm? I would also say that mother Teresa "is not exactly" a 'mother Teresa'. From your wiki link:

Her philosophy and implementation have faced some criticism. [...] Mother Teresa limited herself to keeping people alive rather than tackling poverty itself. She has also been criticized for her view on suffering: [...] she felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus. The quality of care offered to terminally ill patients [...] has been criticised in the medical press, notably The Lancet and the British Medical Journal, which reported the reuse of hypodermic needles, poor living conditions, including the use of cold baths for all patients, and an approach to illness and suffering that precluded the use of many elements of modern medical care, such as systematic diagnosis.[...] volunteers without medical knowledge had to take decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors. [...] her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.

The spending of the charity money received has been criticized by some. Christopher Hitchens and the German magazine Stern have said Mother Teresa did not focus donated money on alleviating poverty or improving the conditions of her hospices, but on opening new convents and increasing missionary work.

[...]Mother Teresa accepted donations from the autocratic and corrupt Duvalier family in Haiti, and openly praised them. She also accepted 1.4 million dollars from Charles Keating, involved in the fraud and corruption scheme known as the Keating Five scandal, and supported him before and after his arrest. The Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles, Paul Turley, wrote to Mother Teresa asking her to return the donated money to the people Keating had stolen from, one of whom was "a poor carpenter". The donated money was not accounted for, and Turley did not receive a reply.

This interview with Hitchens is priceless: www.secularhumanism.or..._16_4.html

FREE INQUIRY: According to polls, Mother Teresa is the most respected woman in the world. Her name is a by-word for selfless dedication in the service of humanity. So why are you picking on this sainted old woman?

CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS: Partly because that impression is so widespread. But also because the sheer fact that this is considered unquestionable is a sign of what we are up against, namely the problem of credulity. One of the most salient examples of people's willingness to believe anything if it is garbed in the appearance of holiness is the uncritical acceptance of the idea of Mother Teresa as a saint by people who would normally be thinking - however lazily - in a secular or rational manner. In other words, in every sense it is an unexamined claim.

[...]

That's the first motive. The second was a sort of journalistic curiosity as to why it was that no one had asked any serious questions about Mother Teresa's theory or practice. Regarding her practice, I couldn't help but notice that she had rallied to the side of the Duvalier family in Haiti, for instance, that she had taken money - over a million dollars - from Charles Keating, the Lincoln Savings and Loans swindler, even though it had been shown to her that the money was stolen; that she has been an ally of the most reactionary forces in India and in many other countries; that she has campaigned recently to prevent Ireland from ceasing to be the only country in Europe with a constitutional ban on divorce, that her interventions are always timed to assist the most conservative and obscurantist forces.

In my book, somebody who claims that "the suffering of the poor is something very beautiful and the world is being very much helped by the nobility of this example of misery and suffering" is a fucking fundamentalist, an obstacle for human development and a symbol of the worst currents of thought ever produced.

Apart from that, I grant you that Obama is not a saint, and that he doesn't deserve a Nobel prize (*), but connecting him to events that took place 60 years ago is absurd. Speaking of which, I liked how the japanese shown in your propaganda video were simple peoples carrying on with their lives. Nothing to do with this, this or this, the millions they massacred or their blind position of never to surrender. The wikipedia article about the debate over the atomic bombings in Japan, while not particularly good or enlightening, shows you that things are never clear cut.

(*) Although certainly more than Kissinger, at least for what he has NOT done...

AND, since this is 'bzzz', here is my video, where I hope to show you that nuclear war is not all that bad because WE HAVE A SURVIVAL PLAN.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 11, 2009 8:57 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
... And third, I'm not any sure about what connections you make between the causes (presumably high gravity of the asteroid) and the effects ("atmosphere events , earthquakes , ocean levels ...").

The Moon equatorial diameter is about 1/4 of the earth one , the moon has almost 1/2 of the earth density and the gravity acceleration is 1/6 of the earth one and this is enough to cause water and (to a smaller degree ) ground tides but since it's so since millions of years the system is in a kind of equilibrium ... not so with the presence of a macro object that starts to exercise the influence of its gravity just since a very very shorter period.

kernel_panic wrote:

I love your shameless political plug. Seriously, I do, it's giving me the excuse to procrastinate for a few minutes while I answer your post! Sooo, mother Teresa, uhm? I would also say that mother Teresa "is not exactly" a 'mother Teresa'. From your wiki link:

Her philosophy and implementation have faced some criticism. [...] Mother Teresa limited herself to keeping people alive rather than tackling poverty itself. She has also been criticized for her view on suffering: [...] she felt that suffering would bring people closer to Jesus. The quality of care offered to terminally ill patients [...] has been criticised in the medical press, notably The Lancet and the British Medical Journal, which reported the reuse of hypodermic needles, poor living conditions, including the use of cold baths for all patients, and an approach to illness and suffering that precluded the use of many elements of modern medical care, such as systematic diagnosis.[...] volunteers without medical knowledge had to take decisions about patient care, because of the lack of doctors. [...] her order did not distinguish between curable and incurable patients, so that people who could otherwise survive would be at risk of dying from infections and lack of treatment.

The spending of the charity money received has been criticized by some. Christopher Hitchens and the German magazine Stern have said Mother Teresa did not focus donated money on alleviating poverty or improving the conditions of her hospices, but on opening new convents and increasing missionary work.

[...]Mother Teresa accepted donations from the autocratic and corrupt Duvalier family in Haiti, and openly praised them. She also accepted 1.4 million dollars from Charles Keating, involved in the fraud and corruption scheme known as the Keating Five scandal, and supported him before and after his arrest. The Deputy District Attorney for Los Angeles, Paul Turley, wrote to Mother Teresa asking her to return the donated money to the people Keating had stolen from, one of whom was "a poor carpenter". The donated money was not accounted for, and Turley did not receive a reply.

This interview with Hitchens is priceless: www.secularhumanism.or..._16_4.html

FREE INQUIRY: According to polls, Mother Teresa is the most respected woman in the world. Her name is a by-word for selfless dedication in the service of humanity. So why are you picking on this sainted old woman?

CHRISTOPHER HITCHENS: Partly because that impression is so widespread. But also because the sheer fact that this is considered unquestionable is a sign of what we are up against, namely the problem of credulity. One of the most salient examples of people's willingness to believe anything if it is garbed in the appearance of holiness is the uncritical acceptance of the idea of Mother Teresa as a saint by people who would normally be thinking - however lazily - in a secular or rational manner. In other words, in every sense it is an unexamined claim.

[...]

That's the first motive. The second was a sort of journalistic curiosity as to why it was that no one had asked any serious questions about Mother Teresa's theory or practice. Regarding her practice, I couldn't help but notice that she had rallied to the side of the Duvalier family in Haiti, for instance, that she had taken money - over a million dollars - from Charles Keating, the Lincoln Savings and Loans swindler, even though it had been shown to her that the money was stolen; that she has been an ally of the most reactionary forces in India and in many other countries; that she has campaigned recently to prevent Ireland from ceasing to be the only country in Europe with a constitutional ban on divorce, that her interventions are always timed to assist the most conservative and obscurantist forces.

was she a leader of a political movement or of a specific country ?

kernel_panic wrote:

In my book, somebody who claims that "the suffering of the poor is something very beautiful and the world is being very much helped by the nobility of this example of misery and suffering" is a fucking fundamentalist, an obstacle for human development and a symbol of the worst currents of thought ever produced.

An obstacle to human development ? Do you mean an obstacle to the common view of just cynically fucking your neighbour ? Well , you are right . And anyway that does not mean that humanity has to remain in poverty or to become poor.

And actually poor people could not buy the Vatican indulgences in the next jubilee.

kernel_panic wrote:

Apart from that, I grant you that Obama is not a saint, and that he doesn't deserve a Nobel prize (*), but connecting him to events that took place 60 years ago is absurd. Speaking of which, I liked how the japanese shown in your propaganda video were simple peoples carrying on with their lives. Nothing to do with this, this or this, the millions they massacred or their blind position of never to surrender. The wikipedia article about the debate over the atomic bombings in Japan, while not particularly good or enlightening, shows you that things are never clear cut.

It's not my propaganda ... it's what happened :
- www.hiroshima-spirit.j.../index.php
- www.pcf.city.hiroshima...ex_e2.html

And they didn't stop contaminating civilians after the end of the 2nd-WW
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bikini_Atoll
- en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...ll_Islands

And the contamination is irreparably extended to the future generations because even if the ambient is/could be cleaned , the damage over the population is "stored" in the DNA and inherited. The Marshall Islands' population interested by the contamination is a world case of study about genes mutations.

BTW, you are right ... why going 60 years back ? Going 8 years back is enough :

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 1:05 am    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

The Moon equatorial diameter is about 1/4 of the earth one , the moon has almost 1/2 of the earth density and the gravity acceleration is 1/6 of the earth one and this is enough to cause water and (to a smaller degree ) ground tides but since it's so since millions of years the system is in a kind of equilibrium ... not so with the presence of a macro object that starts to exercise the influence of its gravity just since a very very shorter period.

Another way to put it would be that despite the Moon's dimensions and mass, it only manages to cause the small ocean tides we all know. The biggest asteroid of the solar system, Ceres, accounts for a third of the mass of the asteroid belt, and is just over a 1% of the Moon's mass. I wouldn't be worried in that respect. But as I said, we are talking about a huge rock hitting the Earth, not about a huge rock deciding to orbit merrily around us at a small distance. The problem is not that it may alter the equilibrium of our system, causing big tides or weird winds, the problem is that it's gonna smash itself against us.

was she a leader of a political movement or of a specific country ?

I don't know what are you objecting to, you just quoted my whole post. At any rate, she was a forefront and influential figure (at least for the public) within the catholic church, which you may know has its headquarters in the state of the Vatican. In 1996 she campaigned for keeping in the Irish constitution the ban on divorce, although when princess Diana got divorced she said "it is good that it is over. Nobody was happy anyhow. I know I should preach for family love and unity, but in their case...". As Hitchens puts it "from Mother Teresa it was sermons for the poor about morality and obedience, but forgiveness and indulgence for princesses". She befriended the dictator Duvalier, from whom she obtainted the Legion d'Honneur (and lottsa money), and paid condolences to the Alban dictator Enver Hoxha to the shock of many Albanians. She accepted more than 1 million dollars from the right wing convicted fraudster Charles Keating, responsible for one of the biggest financial scandals in the states, money which she never gave back when asked to by the court. Despite the enormous funding donated to her mission, the conditions of their clinics were in a perennial pity state, with no proper means to treat patients. Religious proselitism was higher up on the agenda than actually doing something for the people.

An obstacle to human development ? Do you mean an obstacle to the common view of just cynically fucking your neighbour ? Well , you are right . And anyway that does not mean that humanity has to remain in poverty or to become poor.

Yes, an obstacle to human development, with all the letters and conventional meaning. A bastion of conservative thought, opposing the use of contraception measures, opposing any aperture changes in the second Vatican concile, spreading the conformist, cynical, self-destructing view that the poor have to accept and endure their poverty and suffering (which she found beautiful). Yes, that means exactly that the poor have to remain in poverty. Alongside the Vatican, she criticised the liberation theology in south america for its focus on politics over works of service and charity. She was the one saying that she could not teach her poors to fish because they were too weak to hold a fishing rod. Perhaps with some of the money she got from the nobel prize award she could feed them a bit better. To quote Hitchens again, we are talking about somebody who "spent her life opposing the only known cure for poverty, which is the empowerment of women and the emancipation of them from a livestock version of compulsory reproduction."

As for the atomic bombs, you din't get my point, but it's OK :)

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

--- BUMP --- ( fu**ing double post )

Last edited by Falkland on Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 12, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:

The problem is not that it may alter the equilibrium of our system, causing big tides or weird winds, the problem is that it's gonna smash itself against us.

But my point is about what Joki wrote :

Joki wrote:

I'm quite sure that even if his desire will be realized , he would die before the event for another cause without having the possibility to be witness of the event itself.

kernel_panic wrote:

As for the atomic bombs, you din't get my point, but it's OK :)

I didn't miss you point , but anyway they did more than all of that could be pass as "acceptable"

- www.nuclearfiles.org/m...slands.htm
- www.hss.doe.gov/health...rshall.htm
- www.hss.doe.gov/health...h/journal/
- www.bikiniatoll.com/whatrad.html
- www-ns.iaea.org/apprai...-atoll.htm

And they didn't ever stop making tests : they don't make terrestrial or atmospheric tests anymore simply because they use computer simulation.

And that's not all ... what about their SS acting in Africa, Latin America , in Europe in the name of the Cold War, what about the Cermis disaster en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...r_disaster , what about the kill of an Italian agent in Iraq en.wikipedia.org/wiki/...a_Calipari , what about bombing civilians in Falluja with white phosphore , what about bombing the Iraqui National Library and robbing the Iraqui National Museum ...

Bahhh

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 12:43 am    Post subject: Re: bzz4 Reply with quote

bzz5 maybe? :/

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 10 of 12

Jump to: