the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm16
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › i'm done
i'm done
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMain
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 2:42 am    Post subject: i'm done Reply with quote

i'm done

the real reason, you guessed it : dmn_clown's behavior

another reason is the lack of contributions for months. openarena does not build itself.

this all sums up to a dead game.

thanks guys

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:38 am    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

Nah... as soon as someone who you, maybe, dislike threatens to fork you'll be back and motivated by the competition...

I would like to contribute this: servers.sytes.net/serv...xtures.pk3

It's a 580k file with the 1200+ missing Q3A textures.. I've even taken the shaders you use instead of textures into account...
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:49 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

i don't think i'd allow that contribution since it's technically derived from quake3 textures, even if it's an averaged flat color

also all this "UGH IM DELETING MY ACCOUNT COS THERE DICKS!" on the oa forum didn't contribute positively to the death either :rolleyes:

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:18 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

And what would you do if someone random asked you if he could continue the project?

After you have slept over you decision... for at least 2-3 nights... and, after that, still think it's necessary to quit... or, maybe, to stay but spend more time on other things that might be less annoying than waiting for someone to contribute...

I think OpenArena does have a future... just look how many new servers and players came in the last 12 months...

Convincing people who have done "everything" with id Tech 3 already to make their stuff GPL'd might be the most rewarding approach in adding things to OA... imagine Mav would make his NoGhost mod open source... people would be able to write mods for OA just by writing config files...

Last edited by jackthompson on Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:28 pm; edited 2 times in total
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
contribute positively to the death

that's a strange thing to say... :/

anyway I can't help you developing, but hope for a future of OA, as we are a living and growing community here..
at least skills are growing..

:(

dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

jackthompson wrote:
imagine Mav would make his NoGhost mod open source... people would be able to write mods for OA just by writing config files...

opensourcing existing mods for quake3 is no use since the Quake3 Mod SDK has a strict license.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
jackthompson wrote:
imagine Mav would make his NoGhost mod open source... people would be able to write mods for OA just by writing config files...

opensourcing existing mods for quake3 is no use since the Quake3 Mod SDK has a strict license.

sure... but the only difference between the game, cgame, ui and q3_ui in the 1.32 SDK and the files in id's GPL'd complete-source 1.32 release are the added GPL headers in every file and a fixed #endif which had the definition name without //'s standing behind it...

i diffed it myself and turning... or may i rather say porting a 1.32 SDK based mod to the GPL'd 1.32 isn't a problem...
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:40 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
Surprised you came out and actually admitted there were behavioral problems.

dairu wrote:
also all this "UGH IM DELETING MY ACCOUNT COS THERE DICKS!" on the oa forum didn't contribute positively to the death either :rolleyes:
This all had to do with the fact that posts were being deleted. People didn't like this. Once one person decides to leave because of a rash action, repercussions will follow. In this case, other people began to delete their accounts and/or left the community altogether. Criticism is a bitch, isn't it?

Not to sound demanding or anything... Loosen up a bit and allow a bit of leverage for the community. Not everyone is willing to create GPL content for a free game.
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

AllegedlyDead wrote:
This all had to do with the fact that posts were being deleted.
i didn't delete any posts. no mod or admin did. the posters deleted their own posts, and then their own accounts, all to start up some stupid pointless FUD that i'm hitler.

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

HE SAID IT! I'VE HEARD IT! HAVEN'T YOU? HE SAID HITLER!!! Now there's no hope anymore. Somebody call the police.

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

oh, no! mr. hilter!

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
i'm done

this all sums up to a dead game.

thanks guys

Who?

Sorry but if you thought q3 1.16 was dead after the release of 1.32 then you thought wrong. Is this a suggestion that everyones spirit and imagination will die because of one clown?
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

Dmn_clown is one of the contributors to OA; and one of the most vocal of them regarding basically anything related to the game. A quick look to the OA forum will show you this. If I get it right, the disagreement between Lei (the RIDICULOUSLY EGOTISTICAL FOUNDER, LEADER AND CEO OF OPENARENA) and damned_clown arose out of the (for some perceived) lack of direction of the project. From some time ago, every post would be a good opportunity for Clown to pinch Dairu about what the hell the artistic/technical/legal directions of OA are. You have some examples here:

openarena.ws/board/ind...t=prev#new
openarena.ws/board/ind...pic=1560.0
openarena.ws/board/ind...pic=1514.0

The "UGH IM DELETING MY ACCOUNT COS THERE DICKS!", if I get it right again, would have to do with the migration of some people from the OA forum to somewhere else...like the Rainbow one. I fail to see how this could have any effect on anything, but I can explain some of the reasons compelling some players to make the move. The attitude shown in the OA forum towards new ideas, contributions or simple debate was regarded by some as anything from unfriendly and close to openly hostile. There were posts in the map-center site where people complained about this, for instance. The drop that filled many people's glasses was a heated discussion about the adequacy of some models seen in game since 0.7:

openarena.ws/board/ind...pic=1006.0

Note how it wasn't the topic itself what made people angry, but the authoritarian approach some displayed. Note also how some issues that now seem to be important for dmn_clown were ignored by him then (artistic direction and target public for instance).

Having this in mind, it's rather funny to now read this:

Quote::
(Dmn_clown's words) Some of you are aware of the drama of the past few days.

Some of you may not agree with the part that I played in it, that is fine you don't have to agree with me. However, Open Arena is no longer under the leadership of leileilol/leilei/lei and during this transition I ask that you please bear with us.

There will be clear contribution guidelines so people that wish to contribute can do so, hopefully easily.

People will not be ignored.

Questions will be answered.

Community input and suggestions will be welcome.

Most importantly, Open Arena will continue without leileilol/leilei/lei.

(from this thread: openarena.ws/board/ind...ic=1581.0)

The funny part is that I didn't expect such an openness advocacy by dmn_clown, he's certainly got it all wrong: politician should've been his job.

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Re: i'm done Reply with quote

And right in here was my post that was deleted. Thats all I have to say to all of this. And seeing how we yet again fail to say the truth I will lock this thread.

Post new topic   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: