the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3tourney2
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › ping
ping
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
methejuggler

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Ahh, ok, I see.

g_delaghitscan was a variable introduced with the Unlagged 2.01 code base. In most mobs that have this setting, it will enable or disable unlagged... depending on how it's actually implemented (in the case of multiple aimtypes) is mod dependant though... on XoneXfer, it will completely disable all forms of unlagged. OpenArena may handle it differently though.
XoneXfer's cg_aimtype 1 uses the Unlagged 2.01 style aiming, which is probably the same (or at least similar) to what you'd see from any other mod which is implementing Unlagged 2.01.

cg_aimtype 1 (and the Unlagged 2.01 aim in general) is completely server side unlagging. It's very dependant on both your network settings, as well as network stability. Ping fluctuations and latency can both cause a lot of problems with accuracy. I believe NoGhost uses Unlagged 2.01 base aswell.

cg_aimtype 2 uses client side hit tests, which are sent to the server with each client packet that's sent. This can result in much more accurate shots (pin point accuracy, single player feeling) IF your network settings are configured right.
The main issue with aimtype 2 is that, since it only sends once per client packet, if you have your cl_maxpackets set lower than your framerate, it will bunch up several frames worth of data into a single packet, and if there's a shot fired somewhere in there, the client that's hit which is sent with it aren't always for the same time that the shot was fired. This is mainly due to limitations on the network protocol imposed by the Q3A engine. Aimtype 2 is a hack in the first place, abusing network fields that were never meant to be used in this way.

So anyone who is unable to run at cl_maxpackets 125 may actually have lower accuracy with aimtype 2 than they would with aimtype 1.

IU1.1 didn't use the Unlagged 2.01 source, and I found it to be fairly inaccurate at times... was very random whether you'd hit or miss. I dislike playing on IU1.1 for that reason... shots I know should be hitting would miss =p

IU1.2 used the Unlagged 2.01 base though (although even then it had modifications, and still feels a little off at times).

As for affecting movement - aimtype 2 doesn't change physics at all. The only thing it does is send a small amount of extra information to the server with each packet.

On the other hand, if you used it inconjunction with cg_pmove_fixed, then that could affect movement... since XoneXfer allows the client to decide whether to use pmove_fixed or not, rather than just having the server specify.

You're not the first person who's said that it seems to affect movement for them though. As I say, none of the changes between aimtypes 1 and 2 are in or around the pmove code, so I'm really not sure why it would affect movement at all, and I've never noticed a difference myself.

If you don't hold 125 fps constant though, that can definitely affect physics.
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Thank You! :D
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 23, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

This unlagged issue is much more difficult to understand than the xerp whine in CPMA...

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Thank you so much. \:)/ I agree with with your opinions

Quote::
IU1.2 used the Unlagged 2.01 base

I think this is why I couldn't work it out as I only used 1.1 but probably had read docs from 1.2

NG is fitted with most of the aimtypes but everyone uses delag 2.01. Yea, 1.1 isn't that good, but i was told admins may up the splash radius a little and you dont notice the inaccuracies so much :D

pmove accurate + delag 2.01 is the perfect combination IMO. No player will suffer with a stable rate. I've connected to servers with 300+ ping and had no problems, sometimes the server feels smoother but maybe they allow a little more fps on the server or just have a better config.

One thing I've noticed is that using g_sync to sync with the server will still give you unlagged aim. The side effect is when you press the keys it will take a little longer to respond, but the delay isn't much at all.

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

[sXe wrote:
"]This unlagged issue is much more difficult to understand than the xerp whine in CPMA...

Your right. :) Notice how I avoid commenting on the technical stuff :)

So the direction OA is going will only be fair if you have a fairly good system, I dont have the best but probably no different from alot of people. I know what network setting to use for optimum game play and I can't sustain a stable 125 fps on the high poly maps. Only way I can do that if I use noghost or ufreeze. The other alternative is to have some specially picked maps but people will have g_detailedtextures on and still be affected by all the high poly stuff which we are led to believe that makes OA so great. sigh

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Just out of curiosity, other than the improved graphics in OA, what are the benefits to it?

I'm curious what things sway people to different mods... are there any particular things that make you like NoGhost or uFreeze or whatever better than XoneXfer?

Would any of the new features in the 1.3RC9 release (based on the forum post on the news page - don't go by the actual play experience at this point - it's way too bugged right now) sway you towards XX?

I do plan on finishing the latest release of XoneXfer eventually (when I get some time to kill), but would definitely help the motivation factor if I knew people were interested in using it...

If you haven't read the new feature list, you can do so here:
xonexfer.kicks-ass.net
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:38 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Yea I can help with that. I can't compile code but what I am good at is compiling wish lists. :)

OA has been a bit of a windy road and very bumpy. There's numerous things which xone has that could really be useful so I will be sure to to get back to you soon, hopefully with some motivation too :)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 3:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

DO THIS ONLY, IF YOU ARE FAMILIAR WITH THE REGISTRY EDITOR AND ON YOUR OWN RISK!!!

If you use Win2000/XP you can do this, to increase your ping further:
(It should work on Vista with Service Pack 1 or a hotfixpatch, someone claimed)

(Helps a lot on games that send big packet size like WoW and RPGs especially, helps a bit with games that send smaller TCP-packets, like OA)

- Press windows-key + R
(or click on start -> run...)
- Type in ipconfig/all
Write down the IP-Adress of the network adapter you use, to get online
(Might be 192.168.x.x if you use a router)
- Type in regedit, the registry editor will open
- Go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcipip\Parameters\Interfaces
- You will see a few interfaces there. Enlarge each one, by clicking on the [+]. Search for the one, that has a key labeled either IPAddress or DhcpIPAddress that holds your Ip-Address (of the NIC you go online with)
- Once you found this interface, right click in the big area where all the keys are placed, select NEW, select DWORD
- Add a new DWORD-Key there, with the name TcpAckFrequency, set its hex-value to 1.
- Add a new DWORD-Key there, with the name TcpNoDelay, set its hex-value to 1.
- Close the regedit
- Reboot your machine

For pinging google my ping only up a little bit from 16-20ms to 16-16ms. It helps especially with games, that send big packets. Someone playing WoW told me, it improved his ping from 140 to 45, so meh, just try it. If you encounter a problem, just delete these both keys again and reboot.

HERE is a screenshot, what it might look like.
(You might have your IP-Adress listed in the Key "IP-Address" instead of "DhcpIpAddress", if you dont use DHCP)

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

again the same ...
since 3 days I have the same problem ... with *No ctf maps* server
here I put my conf. maybe somebody has time ... it weight only 8 kB!!
the ping www.google .... www.blablabla is like 54-68 all over the Europa
And lagometer looks also funny, not at all like usual ...

lini.cfg
 Description:
 Filename:  lini.cfg
 Filesize:  8.75 KB
 Downloaded:  152 Time(s)

shot0034.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  18.02 KB
 Viewed:  4587 Time(s)

shot0034.jpg

shot0033.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  49.61 KB

shot0033.jpg

shot0029.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  5 KB

shot0029.jpg

shot0027.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  8.42 KB

shot0027.jpg

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:28 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

I think the problem is the lagometer is too hard to understand.

They should make it show every day things so you can describe it to someone and people will have an idea what your talking about.

Like this..

shot0029.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  13.11 KB
 Viewed:  4583 Time(s)

shot0029.gif

RAZ3R
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

lol! I'm waiting to see that as a mod now chiq.
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 8:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

lini wrote:
again the same ...
since 3 days I have the same problem ... with *No ctf maps* server
here I put my conf. maybe somebody has time ... it weight only 8 kB!!
the ping www.google .... www.blablabla is like 54-68 all over the Europa
And lagometer looks also funny, not at all like usual ...

I think the problem is rate 2500 in your config ... with cl_maxpackets 125 it should be 25000 ... and usually the minrate is 3000.
lini
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Dec 07, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

[/quote]I think the problem is rate 2500 in your config ... with cl_maxpackets 125 it should be 25000 ... and usually the minrate is 3000.[/quote]

Falkland you are really GENIUS !!!
I was sure I put rate 25000 ! maybe a type mistake
BUT IT WORKS
I have ping 60-75 , lagometer is normal and... makes fun
thanks a lot

I promis I dont frag u 2 often :harr:

Last edited by lini on Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Hey lini, since there was so much activities in this treat in the last time, i read over it again :]

I just downloaded your config and it appears you set rate 2500 instead of 25000! Try to change this first!

edit:
-_____-;;
nevermind!

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

yo, Joki thanks i did it ... and it works :harr:
its really corious, because I edit the config and I checked everything. Seems 2500 looks like 25000 :asg:
To avoid mistake like this ... maybe somebody knows a freeware tool to edit config and to make everything visible or easier for noobs like me?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: