the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm18
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › ping
ping
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lini
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: ping Reply with quote

hi guys,
I dont know what's wrong but since 3 days I have a problem with ping.
Normally my ping was around 35-90 (I'm living next to Munich, Bayern, Germany), but now is very high around 150-250, sometimes like 120 :s
I dont know what happened, I checked already (rate 2500, snaps 40, cl_maxpackets 20), hmmmmmm ... Any ideas? I use to play on 1:1 for ex. **lue@boinc** server, or **test 0.7** or ** no ctf maps** .
Wonder me ... before I go on serve I can see ping on every server (like every one), and ping is like for ex. 60 ... but when I start to game the ping growht up until 150-200 ...
ANY IDEAS ? :(

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

The ping you see in the serverlist is not relative to your location. I think it says that in the serverlist itself. I found out that the cfg files tend to break when they reach 16 Kbytes. I had to do new cfg's recently, so I'd advise you to do the same. Just delete the cfg from the, for instance, corkscrew server, then connect to that server and reconfigure all your binds and game and network config. Then you can copy that cfg to the rest of your mod/server directories (btw I use cl_maxpackets 125 same as maxfps).

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 11:42 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Set
Code::
rate "25000"
cl_maxpackets "125"

Then check via traceroute (in the command window) how the pings behaves to the gameserver in comparison to low pinged site like www.heise.de Otherwise contact ur ISP if there are technique problems.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

lini wrote:
hi guys,
I dont know what's wrong but since 3 days I have a problem with ping.
Normally my ping was around 35-90 (I'm living next to Munich, Bayern, Germany), but now is very high around 150-250, sometimes like 120 :s
I dont know what happened, I checked already (rate 2500, snaps 40, cl_maxpackets 20), hmmmmmm ... Any ideas? I use to play on 1:1 for ex. **lue@boinc** server, or **test 0.7** or ** no ctf maps** .
Wonder me ... before I go on serve I can see ping on every server (like every one), and ping is like for ex. 60 ... but when I start to game the ping growht up until 150-200 ...
ANY IDEAS ? :(

Did you download something like new maps or a mod before this happened?
lini
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:03 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

hi again,
i just spend over 1 hour to take all yours tipps guys - thanks a lot.
Suggestion from sxe (danke Alter :grin: fuer Tip ):
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Antwort von 193.99.144.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=58ms TTL=249
Antwort von 193.99.144.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=57ms TTL=249
Antwort von 193.99.144.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=57ms TTL=249
Antwort von 193.99.144.85: Bytes=32 Zeit=58ms TTL=249
Ping-Statistik für 193.99.144.85:
Pakete: Gesendet = 4, Empfangen = 4, Verloren = 0 (0% Verlust),
Ca. Zeitangaben in Millisek.:
Minimum = 57ms, Maximum = 58ms, Mittelwert = 57ms
...............---------------------------------------------------------------
so I thing ping is ok
---------
suggestion from snoo snoo snoo :) I dont want to delete my config it costed me too much to make all again, the problem is when I fight i cannot see my gun and in a new conig I dont know how to make this option again :argh: . I deleted some staff from my old config and it weights about 14 kB (in attch. is my config maybe somebody has a idea how to make it lightly).
Jack did you ask if I downloaded somethig? YYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS :blarg:
Yours map: Superheroes Arena
It`s gone already, and I really hope it didnt make any problems .... isn`t ?

q3config.cfg
 Description:
 Filename:  q3config.cfg
 Filesize:  14.42 KB
 Downloaded:  161 Time(s)

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:06 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

cg_gun 0/1 to enable/disable show weapon :D also visit this

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

thanks danke merci spasiba dzieki .... :-)

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

cg_drawgun, no?

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
lini
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

hi again
I did everything ...
a new config has about 6 kB, game with all maps is deleted and a again installed ... ping for Internet sites in Germany about 50 ms + rate, snaps etc ..... :s
and nothing ...
i made twice screenshot from server ** no ctf maps** with break (pause) from 30 sek and my ping is like 50 until 250. More players worst ping ... something like this. Ideas?
Lini

shot0009.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  124.31 KB
 Viewed:  6337 Time(s)

shot0009.jpg

shot0008.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  102.33 KB
 Viewed:  6337 Time(s)

shot0008.jpg

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:35 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

btw.. that config file is probably too big. It will cause a Cvar buffer overflow error. Check your console for that message. Strange things will happen like things dont update and the config only partially loads

It's a pain because it only started happening to me on defrag since theres so many vars. The best thing is probably to create autoexec and have the defrag stuff seperate since its easy to spot the df_ lines.

Alot of the unnecessary server vars gets put there too.. You can remove alot of this but would be good to have an online tool where you paste a config and get this crap removed.

I also followed this guide and thought it was the easiest way to keep your config consistant. I've also attached a config set up i found on the web which is fairly simple to understand.

But now Im not so sure since W1z mentioned that a seta will write over all config files even if its not q3config.cfg? Does that also include autoexec?

Quote::
( Note on cfg files. Ref: www.tilion.org.uk/Games/Quake_3)
========================================================================

Quake 3 Configuration File Structure

A description of how quake 3 uses your file structure and how best to deal with configuration changes - taken from my posts on various forums.

Regardless of the directory you installed quake3 in, it follows a set subdirectory structure.

* Quake3 Install Directory
o baseq3
o Mod Directory 1
o Mod Directory 2
o Mod Directory 3
o quake3.exe

baseq3 directory is where most stuff exists. Within it pak0.pk3 and pak1.pk3 (which are actually just zip files with a pk3 extension instead of zip) contain all the standard quake data from maps to gun shaders.

Every mod you play will create its own directory at the same level as baseq3, so most of you will have other folders specific to the mods you play.

All configuration parameters are stored in a file called q3config.cfg and you will find this file exists in baseq3 and any mod directory. If you remove this file from a mod directory then next time you play that mod quake3 will copy the q3config.cfg file from baseq3 into the mod directory. If you remove the q3config.cfg file from the baseq3 directory then you'll lose all your settings and have to start again! Quake3 won't break, it'll just create a new q3config.cfg file, but it will be a default one without your tweaks in it.

When you join a server quake3 reads the q3config.cfg file from the relevent mod directory. This means you can have a different config for each mod if you like, but more often than not it means you have inconsistent settings between each mod because you'll altered a particular q3config.cfg file. Sometimes quake3 even goes a little haywire and trashes your q3config.cfg file, leaving you with the default one again!

When quake3 starts up it searches for q3config.cfg and autoexec.cfg in baseq3. If it finds autoexec.cfg it will use the settings in that file in preference to those in q3config.cfg. As quake3 will never touch autoexec.cfg (apart from to load it) that is where you should put all customisations. It means you'll have to fiddle around with notepad to edit it as the quake3 menus interact with q3config.cfg.

If you take a look in q3config.cfg you'll find huge amounts of stuff that you couldn't care less about so don't just copy and paste it all into autoexec.cfg. Once you've made your own autoexec.cfg remember to delete the q3config.cfg files out of each of the mod directories so they can be recreated next time you play than mod (and include your new changes!).

indyq3config.zip
 Description:
config
 Filename:  indyq3config.zip
 Filesize:  7.31 KB
 Downloaded:  182 Time(s)
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:58 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

First of all, there are different config directories for different modifications. So if you play on a standard DM server it will use the config(s) in /baseoa (baseq3). If you then switch to play on a server with a modification, like for instance Corkscrew, Defrag or anything else; then it will use that directory config file(s).

So, if you connect to Defrag and don't have a config written for it, then the Q3 engine will pick up the config you have in /baseq3 (baseoa) and copy all the settings in to your /baseq3/defrag directory.

Now, if you change the settings in your /baseoa/test.cfg, then they do NOT change in your /baseoa/defrag/test.cfg, so what happends then is that if you start your basic game (load /baseoa/test.cfg) it will then overwrite your config in /baseoa/defrag/test.cfg if they have different bit-values.

So, to complicate things even more, there is a way to get it to work; do the following:

Remove ALL your configs from every directory to start with, that way you start with a clean slate.

Go to /baseoa (baseq3) and create a file called my_config.cfg
There you enter ALL your generic commands which you use in all mods, like shooting, jumping, fps, smileys e.t.c, then save it.

Next you go to your /baseoa/defrag directory and create my_defrag.cfg. Here you enter all settings specific for your defrag configuration.
Every mod you play will create its own directory at the same level as baseq3, so most of you will have other folders specific to the mods you play.

All configuration parameters are stored in a file called q3config.cfg and you will find this file exists in baseq3 and any mod directory. If you remove this file from a mod directory then next time you play that mod quake3 will copy the q3config.cfg file from baseq3 into the mod directory. If you remove the q3config.cfg file from the baseq3 directory then you'll lose all your settings and have to start again! Quake3 won't break, it'll just create a new q3config.cfg file, but it will be a default one without your

Next you might want to go to /baseoa/corkscrew and make my_corkscrew.cfg and enter all the corkscrew settings.

And so on...Do this for each mod, that way you have the mods unique setttings in each directory and the base settings in the base directory.

Now when that is done, go to your /baseoa (baseq3) and create a file called autoexec.cfg and make it look like this:
unbindall // This is very important
exec my_config.cfg
echo done!
Nothing more is needed in this file..

One thing to remember is that you should NEVER edit your q3config.cfg directly, that WILL break your configs, without a doubt.

You can during gameplay on (for instance defrag) make a change to a setting and then type:
/writeconfig my_defrag
and it will save the settings to your my_defrag.cfg in the /baseoa/defrag directory but BE AWARE that it will write ALL current settings to that file, not only the one, or two, you made.

[edit: no, nothing can write to autoexec.cfg unless you edit it yourself on purpose]

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

Thanks for that :D

I also think the config file size might be an old issue on 1.16 as I checked that and seems to be ok.

My config messed up becaue I done the changes in 1.16 before OA. It works fine but jut got confused what game we were playing.

MrMoo on the other hand :ops:

Quote::
you should NEVER edit your q3config.cfg directly, that WILL break your configs, without a doubt.

moo does this i think :hihi:
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 4:00 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:

moo does this i think
poo

lini
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:10 pm    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

hi again
I hope last time ... :hoho:
I found out doesn`t matter how big ist your config ... Something doesnt work.
I found my old config (god say thanks... Norton ghost). It weights about 16 kB (new one only 7 kB) but ping is like 60- 90 and not more and it works --- SUUUUPEEER!!!
I put both of configs, maybe somebody who has something with this to do can figure out what is the difference and put it als tip for next generation :grin:

thanks

q3config_bad _ping.cfg
 Description:
 Filename:  q3config_bad _ping.cfg
 Filesize:  6.85 KB
 Downloaded:  169 Time(s)

q3config_good _ping.cfg
 Description:
 Filename:  q3config_good _ping.cfg
 Filesize:  15.91 KB
 Downloaded:  172 Time(s)

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Re: ping Reply with quote

I always use..

rate 10000 (Alot of servers I play on have that as max so I dont see the point in making it more)

snaps 40

cl_maxpackets 60

I didnt realise you could play with 20 maxpackets. I thought the minimum was 30. If I increase maxpackets then my ping will increase but I find 80 ping provides better accuracy than 60 ping providing the connection is smooth.

You could these settings ingame on both configs when your playing as they might be changing to default if your putting in a value which isnt allowed. Also look at the lagometer and see if theres any difference.

i have included my own conf

chiq.cfg
 Description:
 Filename:  chiq.cfg
 Filesize:  10.18 KB
 Downloaded:  201 Time(s)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6

Jump to: