the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: ztn3dm1
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Let's do an OA documentation option
Let's do an OA documentation option
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:10 pm    Post subject: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

Hi, guys

I came to this after reading W1zrd's post about players of OA not liking the retextured dm_whatever map and him trying to change some other map to make them happy. It made me think about what Rainbow and OA are and what they are not and how they relate to each other. I personally don't share the view of doing anything because "OA players like it this or that way". Do what you like and let people choose, don't just try to satisfy the violent majority.

I may be wrong, but I see Rainbow as an alternative place to obtain information about OA and as a set of servers offering some different content run with somewhat higher standards than many of the rest. I don't think it is our job to satisfy the likings of the bigger OA community. Look who dwells over here, a mixture of experienced players alognside people who, despite not being that experienced, are really interested in the game and want to somehow contribute to it. This is why we have N versions of Aggressor (and more to come ;)), new weapons' models, a Snoo model, a set of high res 2D icons, a map2ascii converter, a whole bunch of high quality maps borrowed from other places, several servers running cool mods, a friendly forum and IRC channel and so on. All of this is in no confrontation with the "vanilla" OA way, it is just an option players have if they want to play it differently (think about the defrag servers for instance).

So I thought about tackling the problem Rainbow servers/community may have regarding "regular" OA players not knowing about it. Instead of posting in the OA forums asking for autodownloads on as a default, which we know developers out there don't like, why don't we do something more constructive? Couldn't we work out a nice documentation for OA that could be accessed from withing the game? I'm thinking in an extra option in the main menu called something like "Quick guide" that would explain the basics of the game to whoever is interested, from what the project is (links to open source information would be nice), how to play and configure the game (how many times I've seen asked how to change the rail or nick colour or the player model), and, amongst those, what is "autodownloads on": what risks might you face if you enable it and what benefits does it bring you. If we could present a working example of this to the OA guys I would be very surprised if they said no, for it benefits everybody, starting from the game itself. We could work out the initial text which could afterwards be discussed and changed to suit everybody's opinions. Also, perhaps this could half-solve an outstanding problem with OA, that of internationalization. If we managed to render that option from different text files it would be a piece of cake to add language support to it, so at least the instructions could be translated.

What do you think?

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

i like the idea of a sort of in-game quick manual. remember that people download the game and don't get a paper manual from a box like when bought in a store.

and providing the game with a readme.txt or linking to a manual/wiki on the internet might not be that likely to attract people's attention.

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

The problem with that is that the Open Arena project aims to reproduce an exact replica of Quake III, but a completely free and open source version. What problem you ask?
Well, such a function doesn't exist in vanilla Q3 but on the other hand, neither does bloom.

For instance both CPMA and Defrag, Excessive+ and many more mods, have those functions already embedded (when the documents are placed on the server) where you type /help in the console and get appropiate documentation; but then you have the neverending question:

How do I open the console?

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

and in comes mr. reality and crashes the party!! :)

oh, well. it's a nice idea anyway

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

pulchr wrote:
and in comes mr. reality and crashes the party!! :)

oh, well. it's a nice idea anyway
Sorry...I should change my attitude...lets say:
Lets do it boys 'n' girlz!!

Well, I'll say that anyway...

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

i guess you're right, there's no point in working on it unless it's being used.

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2007 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Let's do an OA documentation option Reply with quote

It's not just that. Its seeing how other suggestions to the OA devs die when comming from the colorfull side....

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: