the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm16
Players: 6 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Defrag tricks & tutorials › Defrag Tricks and FAQ
Defrag Tricks and FAQ
New to Defrag? Pro? Super Pro? Super Defrag Movie Pro? come here... :D
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexDefrag tricks & tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
OlivierMiR

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:22 am    Post subject: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

Hi Guys. I'm a new OA player and am looking for some very basical informations on how to play demos in OA and things like that. Sorry to post here if it's not the right place, I somehow understood that it's a place for newbie (see this this thread' title...) but I don't see so much newbie posts here so I may be wrong...

Well, here is the stupid question just in case. I d/l the "Genesis" tutorial (found somewhere on this forum I think), which came with "Gambit Rocket demo haxed.dm_68" and "tr1ckhouse-beta3.pk3" files. I didn't find detailed instructions on where to put these files. According to some reply in I don't-remember-which-forum, I put the .dm_68 file in "C:\Program Files\openarena-0.7.1\baseoa\demos" and the .pk3 in "C:\Program Files\openarena-0.7.1\baseoa".

When in OA, clicking on Demo / Gambit Rocket demo haxed / Play does not yield any result, I guess because of the spaces in the name. Typing "playdemo "Gambit Rocket demo haxed" in the console yields the on-screen message "Client/Server game mismatch - baseoa-1/defrag-1" (oddly enough, Google does not help on this error message - I feel so lonely!) and a big amount of text output in the console, which I don't copy here because I don't know how to dump the console contents into a file...

I have other problems like e.g. the "Intro" movie does not want to play... But I'll not bother you too much ;-).

In fact I think I missed some good, main starting point where one would describe to the newbie that I am the real basics, like playing demos, adding custom maps to the game, and so on... Some links would really help (or telling me where I should post this if here is not the right place).

Thanks so much and sorry for my English.
gunnarbot
Trickjumping Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 1:29 am    Post subject: Re: Movies Reply with quote

I am 100% sure the demo you want to watch is recorded in the tricking mod called Defrag. To play the demo you need the mod Defrag too.
Defrag will be of great help when you want to learn tricking and I'm gonna start writing a FAQ asap.
Defrag's official website defrag.planetquake.gamespy.com/

You need this: cgg0.free.fr/defrag/de....91.08.zip

Unzip that and make sure all the files were extracted in a directory called defrag/ in your OpenArena directory.
Now move the demo from the baseoa/demos/ directory to the defrag/demos/ directory, if the demos directory doesn't exist, then create it.
Load up OpenArena, go to Mods, load up Defrag and join the fun :). Make sure you have automatic downloads turned on if you want to play online on the Rainbow Defrag Servers.

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 9:17 am    Post subject: Re: Movies Reply with quote

For windows users:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\ApplicationData\OpenArena

In this directory OA puts all the downloaded things (maps, mods, etc.)

In order for you to play a defrag demo you need to put the zip that gunnarbot gave you into that directory (if it doesent make a defrag dir make it and put the files in there). Finaly put the demo in:

C:\Documents and Settings\[user]\ApplicationData\OpenArena\Defrag\Demos

Now you should be able to play the demo. Have fun!

P.S.
Don't forget to enable autodownloads. You do that in the main menu of the game. In setup/game options the last choice is alow autodownloads. With this enabled you will be able to download mods/maps directley from the servers.

Trickjumping Guru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 11:19 pm    Post subject: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

Trickjumping and Defrag FAQ

Ask questions here and we will try to answer them as fast as possible.

A demo showing some different overbounces on the map csu1_a.

ob-guide.zip
 Description:
Overbounces on CSU1_A
 Filename:  ob-guide.zip
 Filesize:  197.84 KB
 Downloaded:  250 Time(s)

OlivierMiR

PostPosted: Wed Nov 07, 2007 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

Thank you for these answers. I'll try that ASAP (too much work currently).

Also the FAQ will certainly prove very useful for newbies like me!

OlivierMiR

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 2:16 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

Ok, I was able to see the demo. It took some time for me understand that I had to put the tr1ckhouse-beta3.pk3 file in the ...\OpenArena\defrag folder. Indeed, the pk3 file contains a maps\tr1ckhouse-beta3.bsp file which OA was complaining not to find when starting the demo (according to the console output, which I managed to export using "\logfile 1").

Thanks again for the help.

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

OlivierMiR wrote:
Ok, I was able to see the demo. It took some time for me understand that I had to put the tr1ckhouse-beta3.pk3 file in the ...\OpenArena\defrag folder. Indeed, the pk3 file contains a maps\tr1ckhouse-beta3.bsp file which OA was complaining not to find when starting the demo (according to the console output, which I managed to export using "\logfile 1").

Thanks again for the help.
That is a common problem for many who wish to download and use new maps. A .pk3 file might show up as a .zip file, especially if you are using Windows, since a .pk3 file is actually nothing more than a zipped file with a .pk3 extension.

So to make it work you need the entire .pk3 file, no only the contents of it, within in your /baseoa (most of the cases).

There are many questions about this, so keep asking if you have problems with it, better safe than sorry :)

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

How do you use automated camera angles in Defrag?
Obviously I can use my 'arrow' keys to rotate the camera around a given object/player, but how do I get it to circle 180 degrees around a point at the same speed for instance?

Also, how does the 'pip' work?

gunnarbot
Trickjumping Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

There are no automated cameras available in Defrag. But you can make savepos positions and have them binded on the keypad keys (becuase they wont break demo playback), that or make a script that loads the savepos positions after a period of "wait" times. The latter is very hard and I think you should try out the first instead. You can also record the camera positions with the "\ghost record" commando. I'm gonna find the guide on how to use it.

Basically you load the demo or map, use noclip to position yourself, select the saveposname you want to save at and then use savepos 0. When you playback the demo you press the key for the position you want and with \df_demos_transitionspeed you can change the time that it takes to move between the positions.

and uh.. To use transitioning camera positions you got to use \df_demos_cameramode 5 (I think! I can't check that right now because I'm in school =))

FORGET EVERYTHING I'VE SAID!
I found the caming Tutorial. Thanks to Fu3l3d for writing this. :grin: overdrivepc.com/forum/...php?t=7496

Last edited by gunnarbot on Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

I've seen some movies with interesting angles, I believe it was Live II fly that had a wide-shot of a rocket and it's trail, that's basically what I am after and then rotate the camera 180/270 degrees before the projectile hits it's target.

gunnarbot
Trickjumping Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2007 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

Live II Fly uses Quake 3 Movie Makers Edition and it's chase camera function, that's even easier to use than the Defrag ones, may cause dizzines though. :&
q3mme.proboards75.com/index.cgi

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

Some questions for the FAQ maybe?
  • How can I use the pip in Defrag, and how does it work?
  • I have seen players go around corners in high speed, how is that possible?
  • When I play a demo I only see a player in thirdperson perspective, how can I change that?
  • How can I change maps on the rn|defrag servers?

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

oi, is there some viewer/player for .dm_68 files so that one can view a demo without having Q3/Open Arena installed?

gunnarbot
Trickjumping Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

W1ZrD wrote:
oi, is there some viewer/player for .dm_68 files so that one can view a demo without having Q3/Open Arena installed?
not afaik :/

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 8:26 am    Post subject: Re: Defrag Tricks and FAQ Reply with quote

W1ZrD wrote:

It would have to be processed through the q3 game, but it's possible. My admin friend processed these on the web live by uploading a demo file q3eu.com/site/modules....ag_streams

He somehow done this by processing the uploaded demo and converting it live via the web using a media server in real time. The downside is that it's not an actual program to view the demos, but he was able to stream live games as well as process uploads.

I managed to stream live games but dont have a good connection and you also have to a config set up to view the demo so its viewable rather than playing the actual game.

I was able to upload small files and watch them almost instantly as a flash stream but pity he has no interest in q3 so he only left it up for a few days :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Defrag tricks & tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: