the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: rq3dm4
Players: 5 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › pul1ffa - hit the ground running
pul1ffa - hit the ground running
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue May 10, 2011 10:53 pm    Post subject: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

hello again!

pul1ffa is a fun map (not competitive at all) that i'm working on. it's a free for all space map with lots of jump pads a sliding ramp and a bfg. awesome, right? :harr:

it has bot support and the arena-file lists it as free for all, team deathmatch, last man standing and elimination.

the current beta can be downloaded here: pul1ffa-j0.zip (unzip to base folder).

some images to show you what it looks like:

slippery slide! use jump pads to slide up here and get the quad!

activate the shootable buttons and this weight will drop down and crush players. it's hard to see in this image but there's a bfg just under the weight. when a player gets up there an alarm sounds and all players will know that someone is going for the bfg...

this jump pad opens the hatch and the player enters the room in image #6 from below.

this teleporter leads to the inside of the building.

two other ways to enter the building. placeholders used for the door textures.

this is where players drop down from the teleporter. there's a hatch at the far end which opens automatically if someone uses the jump pad from below. it can also be opened by pulling the little yellow lever to the left of the hatch.

the megahealth can be taken from three different jump pads - or if someone jumps from the elevator.

this is what the button looks like when it just has been activated by someone.

this button is ready to be activated. doing so will drop the weight in the second image.

all comments and ideas are welcome!

JockeTF
Furver Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 11, 2011 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

Looks very nice! :)

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:51 am    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

Looks neat, i will give it a test in next class lesson. :)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 11:56 am    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

I love the colours. And that weight thing? I'll try it, though against bots only.

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 1:44 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

unfortunately the bots can't get up to where the weight comes down. as the map is built you need to do a double rocket jump to get up there.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

I really like the optics, but to be honest, I am a bit disappointed by the actuall "feel" of the map.

if you spawn "inside" you only got plasma to work with, the ya doesn't help much as 1x sg and maybe some mg fire from random spawners will pull you down fast. if you need better weapons, you are forced to cross the whole map - with plasma grenades and sg you wont get very far, let alone to any powerups.

if you spawn outside, you can only turn to rail or shaft. all those long distances and incredibly long jumppads make rail even more powerfull - if it doesn't kill the enemy, it sends him flying into empty space.
and as RA and MH and rail are almost on the same spot, everyone is bound to play rail-domination.

third option is duck&camp with sg at ya. if you can handle the gun, you got a cozy little place in that corner, even allowing an escape route, that will seldom be used by incomming ppl, as there are no good weapons there. incommers would jump with mg into a sg barrel from someone with ya and a health bubble (25?) near by.

suggestions:

-either place the rail inside the bunker - makes it uncomfortable to use in there + you will have to get out alive in order to really use the gun

-or place the rocketlauncher inside the bunker - now you get 2 "hotspots" for frags: rocketing spawners in the narrow corridors of the bunker, or railing spawners on the open area at ra/mh/rg

-another thougth would be to remove bfg and replace it with rail - move shaft to the mh and ra area. that way using the jumppads will be answered with brzzzzzzzzs and make the powerups hard to reach/use

..so i don't really have good suggestions here. its just that there are many "bad spawns" on the map, that force you to cross the whole map for weapons/items with nothing to fight your way there. you will also have to use jumppads and those will also make you an easy target for players with rg..
so its kind of frustraiting to play the map at the current state it is in.

..please don't take it personaly. it's great that you put so much effort into building cool maps. keep it up =D

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2011 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

thanks for your thoughts!

i'll move things around a bit and see if it gets better. btw should i remove the grenade launcher from the map? is it useless in a map like this - what do you think?

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2011 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

Hi pulchr,

i try to be as critical as possible like with all map reviews for maximal player-satisfaction in the end. ;P I included some spots, that you might know about already, like the textures or the levelshot just for the sake of it.

- levelshot: maybe us higher resolution JPG instead of that low resolution TGA.

- some of the boxes are few units lower than other, so you just .... wanna jump on them, but you can't in 1 step.

- 1 of the jumppads doesn't accel you forward, only upwards

- some weapons are a bit bad distributed. basically the lower area has (at least?) 2 PGs while on the left side (Facing the RL/Quad) there are 2 RL + 1 LG very close to each other with 1 RG pretty close

- grabbing the quad = suicide, especially with that little health overall on the map. i don't know if thats intended or not

- grenade launcher seems useless on this map

- a bit low health on the map overall

- did not look at spawn points

For reference to q3map2 settings refer to this post or Q3map2 - general especially Q3Map2 - Light. I think it will make for some fun matches later. :D Also i like the lighting and the shaders a lot.

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue May 17, 2011 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

a new version to test: pul1ffa-j2

* i've lowered some of the crates so that joki can climb them.
* removed the grenade launcher.
* move the rail and some other weapons.
* some more health bubbles.
* redesigned the sliding ramp.

when it comes to the levelshot i'm not sure if having a higher resolution image is the way to go. in quake 3 and older versions of openarena the detail effect is used for the levelshots. this is imo the correct way to make the loader screens look better. but for some reason it's not used/working in later versions of openarena. that's the main reason why all levelshots look so ugly on modern monitors.

of course i can have a higher resolution - something like 512x512, but imo it would be better to also add the detail effect for levelshots.

EDIT: i also added a sound effect to the elevator/platform.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

:O

nice map dude... i can imagine playing ffa on this... or 1v1 if it is late at night... or defrag if it is early in the morning.. :D
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 6:08 am    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

all on the same server
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

hmm, much better now.
Espacially cool is the quad-slope. now you can use the (left) jumppad to get the quad + ra + with good movement, you got enough speed to to rush straight to rail.
if you get this movement combo right, you got all you need for a great quad run, but it's not easy to achieve =)

the jumppads - I guess it is intended that you can only reach quad via one of them? (the left one)

two other things:

1. how to get up here?

just for ammo, its not very tempting to risk a perfect rocket jump. why don't you put .. for example one of the shafts up there?
(the one below the bfg is well put. if you reach it with quad, you're good to go :hoho: . maybe move the lg below the RA there?)

2. what is with this place here?

it kind of leads from nowhere to nowhere. its a great camping spot with sg, rl or rg. might be better to just remove that balcony and make the jumppad lead higher to the lower end of the bfg pyramid. also - that jumppad + rj could be a good way to get the bfg, if the platform gets removed.

i think this version is good for some real testing. could someone up it to a public server? =|

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

edit: forgot the download link :blarg:

the latest version is now pul1ffa-j6 and can be downloaded here. note that i haven't saved the textures as jpeg yet and that's why the pk3 is so large.

popejo: i've tried various settings and depending on fps/server settings both of the launch pads directed at the ramp can be used to get the quad damage.

in this new version i've added a new section called the 'pope plateau'. it's supposed to solve two of popejo's questions. 1 - how to get up on top of one of the platforms that couldn't be reached unless you rocket jumped or spawned up there. 2 - 'it kind of leads from nowhere to nowhere'. the new part can be reached from a jump pad, stairs and by sliding on the pyramid wall. at the top of that plateau there's a jump pad sending the player across the map and landing on the platform mentioned in the first question. i also moved the lightning gun there.

some other changes:
* teleporter sound effect (not finished yet).
* changed the controlpanel a bit - size and texture (not finished yet).
* made the nodrop brush cover the kill_trigger.
* removed one rocket launcher

and some images of the new section.

this is the new section - see the first posts for reference.

entrance from the middle section. a jump pad takes you up top.

boxes and a sliding jump?

even more jump pads and launch pads! the shards are floating - it seemed like a possible camping spot for some players - so there's not that much powerups here.

new location for the lightning gun that was previously placed at the end of the ramp structure.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

what an honour ^^

will test later today =D

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: pul1ffa - hit the ground running Reply with quote

yee pulchr. Its pretty fun. especially aiming for the mega and ra, with shots and explosions all around :harr:

the "pope plateau" works fine ihmo. nice long and risky jump for the lg - and you can always hit a spawner there, snatching the lg just before you land and brrrrzzzzing you with it.

two final things from me.

1. jumppad to slide

one of the jumppads seems a bit buggy. it does not always throw me in the same height .. sometimes i reach quad, other times I don't ... no clue how this can be reproduced. I tried in aftershock (fixed 125 frames) and normal oa ...

2. the second lg

you can actually control a good part of the map with lg. there is no health or armor, but endless lg to rain down on jumppadusers. it can be countered with the other lg, or well placed rockets, but on a random noob filled server it could, might theoretically be possible to attrackt campers

so it might be a good idea to make the lg-surface see-through and shoot-through, like you did with the Megahealth floor on pulduel. that way, you can be railed and shotgunned from below, and cant just pitch your tent al LG.

..as before. these are just suggestions. might as well be good to put it on a server and let some real people play on it for some days.

anyway: great work pulchr :O)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: