the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: phantq3dm1
Players: 6 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › pul4ctf
pul4ctf
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 5:23 pm    Post subject: pul4ctf Reply with quote

i'm working on a ctf map as can be seen in this thread on the openarena forum.

a beta version will be running on this server tonight at 20:00 CEST.

it would be very nice if any of you would like to stop by and playtest. all criticism are welcome!

a warning though - it's a LARGE map and we need lots of players to fill the map - so please drop by :)

here's a screenshot from gtkradiant so you can see the overview:

JockeTF
Furver Admin

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 6:07 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

Looks very nice! :)

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:21 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

yupp, its a party in my eyes.

comments:
- MH and RA are next to each other - too open and too easy to steal both, maybe?
- flag room is relatively big, but for the size of the map still pretty small, with lots of entrances, and very sneak friendly. stealing the flag is pretty easy (although the jumppad is a hard escape route. good idea to make it so big). similar point:
- I imagine, you can have matches on that map where you never see a flag, because there is no "center of action" of any kind. the bases are to small and "sneak + steal" - friendly. the mid is crowded with pillars and there are no positions allowing for a rail camp, or overview of the map.

suggestion: make the mid biiiiiiig - just turn the 3 halls into one huge + broad opening (while keeping the current amount of pillars in order to keep targeting more of a challenge), so flag carriers and attack-squads can be spotted in mid

will test some more with players later. it really looks nice and will be an action laden shotgun fest on public servers :O) :harr:

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

thank you PopeJo!

i already have some ideas on how to change the map.

aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 18, 2010 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

looks awesome, really :)

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 1:16 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

i always like maps where i don't hit my head... :sexy: and that it doesn't seem to depend on textures from OA *or* Q3A..
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

hey pulchr!

here is my 2 cents:

- as jack thompson, i enjoy maps where i don't hit my head, when jumping throu doors (like it actually happens e.g. in oa_dm4 in the upper near LG) or that are so freaking tight, that you can barely evade (ce1m7, oa_dm1, oa_dm2, oa_dm7, oa_pvomit ) or not at all (oa_dm4, oa_dm5, czest1tourney). your map got space, i love it :D
- it has 4 grenade lauchers, right? i dont like GL-spammers as much as you do. :)
- if you exit with flag to the upper route, you run directly into health. i think health should either be IN the base (for defenders... right now i dont remember seeing health in the base o.o), or on some of side-route, so the flag carrier will have to take some indirect route to grab it
- as popejo suggested, i would lower the numbers for room in the center, and give it instead a bit bigger room with space to fight for the flag
- the left half of the stairs on your 1st screenshot in the treat on the OA-forums leads into an edge
- the teleporters look weird, and they surfaces arent alligned well
- i like maps, that have a lot of different routes to take. with that many you have available right now, you will have to play it at least 5v5 :D
- for the final release, also maybe you want to use 1024x1024 textures, which is really overkill, you might want to consider including them as .JPG instead. (even if compressed little) i think some people still have sucky connections, and 12 MB is a lot for them. :wacko:

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue Oct 19, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

jackthompson wrote:
i always like maps where i don't hit my head... :sexy: and that it doesn't seem to depend on textures from OA *or* Q3A..

i hate when i bump into a player on my own team that wants to pass me in a tight door or corridor - so i've tried to keep most passages wide enough.

the idea is to create all textures used in the map so it isn't depending on textures from either OA/Q3A - but it also makes the progress slower :P

Joki wrote:
- it has 4 grenade lauchers, right? i dont like GL-spammers as much as you do. :)

i didn't want to include the nailgun/prox mines/chaingun so i added all the other weapons. maybe i went over the edge with two grenade launchers on each side. weapon balance and powerups need to be changed when the layout of everything else is decided.

Joki wrote:
- if you exit with flag to the upper route, you run directly into health. i think health should either be IN the base (for defenders... right now i dont remember seeing health in the base o.o), or on some of side-route, so the flag carrier will have to take some indirect route to grab it

there is a +50health bubble on the second floor near the pillar in the base and two +25health in the little "spawn-room" in front of the flag. i'm actually not a big fan of placing too much health in the base as i don't think defenders or flag carriers should be able to camp too much in their own base without leaving it to recover lost health or armour. but again all this needs balancing and fine tuning :)[/quote]

Joki wrote:
- as popejo suggested, i would lower the numbers for room in the center, and give it instead a bit bigger room with space to fight for the flag

a bit hard to follow that sentence :D but i think i got the meaning. i've started to sketch on a different layout and i think it will solve some problems with the middle and overall size of the map.

Joki wrote:
- the left half of the stairs on your 1st screenshot in the treat on the OA-forums leads into an edge

if you're referring to the image marked with "pul4ctf-g1" the idea was that players coming from the left wouldn't have to walk in a circle or jump to get up in the stairs - but i agree that it looks odd...

Joki wrote:
- the teleporters look weird, and they surfaces arent alligned well

i'm not sure what to do with the teleporters, see them as placeholders for now. i'm not that thrilled over the teleporters i had in "pul1duel" and i wanted a teleporter that the player can enter from all directions. still needs a better texture and effect though.

Joki wrote:
- i like maps, that have a lot of different routes to take. with that many you have available right now, you will have to play it at least 5v5 :D

yes, it's BIG :O. it's probably best suited for large public matches. teams playing 4vs4 will probably not like this map.

Joki wrote:
- for the final release, also maybe you want to use 1024x1024 textures, which is really overkill, you might want to consider including them as .JPG instead. (even if compressed little) i think some people still have sucky connections, and 12 MB is a lot for them. :wacko:

there are five 1024x1024 textures in the pk3 but there's only one of them that are supposed to be that large (the wall brick texture). almost all of the textures in the pk3 are in TGA now and only those with an alpha channel will be that in the end. i won't go into compressing things until i'm done with the textures. the size of the pk3 will shrink a lot. pul1duel for example is only 1.6mb.

Toxicity
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Oct 24, 2010 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

I was playing this map with some friends and it was really fun! I like this map much :)

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

here's an update to pul4ctf. this map has had some previous playtesting and most of the feedback pointed out that the size was too large.

i've now redesigned many spots in the map as can be seen in the screenshots below. the mid section is now changed so that any player crossing the map has to go through the large room in the middle (there's no sneaky way around it anymore).

as can be seen in the overview i also plan to remove the room titled "b" and add a connecting hallway between "c" and "d" that blocks visibility and clear sight. removing room "b" will probably result in the disappearance of the teleporter behind the flag rooms - or should i try to find an alternative position for the teleporter that's currently in the "b" room? opinions?

another thing that has been changed is that i removed two of the pillars in the mid section and made a proper floor on top of the old pillars - less falling down...

and finally some images.

overview. "b" will be removed in the next version.

if i can find a suitable spot for the teleporter it might stay in the next version, i'm not sure yet.

some kind of doorway going forward or to the left, the one to the right will be removed. oh, and the boxes would also be placed somewhere else :D

this is where the new corridor would have its exit.

new mid room from high up. all players crossing the map have to go through this room. there are eight paths leading to this room (four from each base).

same room from the middle floor.

this room has been almost completely redesigned - two paths from the flag room were changed and the path leading to the mid section was also moved.

connects the mid section and forward parts of the bases. replaces the previous room where players could sneak past the mid section.

new passage at the top floor connecting the mid section and the "g" room.

this version can be downloaded here (pul4ctf-m7.zip 10mb).

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

this version has the new connection added and some other small changes.

download pul4ctf-m9.zip here (7.3mb)

some banners and a moved passage in the middle.

leads into the red base and has a jump pad up from below.

removed boxes and moved the exit passage to the opposite side.

another angle.

the room beneath the new passage is smaller and the grenade launcher has been swapped with a rocket launcher. the jump pad goes up to the new passage.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:39 am    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

hey pulchr,

again, an impressive looking map. nice atmosphere and feel!

the weaponplacement is also fine so far.
in base: rl, sg, pg
in mid: lg, rg

powerups in base are also only 1 ya, which is fine. ra and mh are more towards mid, so the base defender has to leave the flag to get them. makes base camping harder. well done :)
I especially like the MH placement. if you escape wiht the enmy flag, you can rocketjump to MH and get an energy boost, making it more likely to cross mid alive.

on the down side (my private opinion ofc, no offence intended):

- the map looks the same at quite many spots. if you spawn in front of a jumppad, you dont know where you are .. there are so many similar looking jumppads, similar looking corridors, .... would be nice if you'd add arrows to home and enemy base, like its done on bigger maps of the q3wcp mappacks. just so you know everytime where you should be headed, even if you loose oversight in the heat of the battle.

- the "upper route" out of base, using the big jumppad next to the flag, is definitely the fastest one. there are no powerups on the way, and hardly any cover, so that is ok. but still it is hard not to get lost when you crossed mid, and try to get back into your own base. as there are almost no straight pathways, but every corridor leads to the right or left, or has corners, even after half an hour you often end up in mid again, confused, when actually trying to reach your own base.

- the teleporters in mid. why are they colored differently? the red one doesnt lead to red and the blue one doesnt lead to blue, thus raising the confusion. if you take a red teleporter, you should be headed towards the red base. instead, you are headed for the blue teleporter :C
maybe just change the direction and place of the teleporter exit a little, so you can exit facing the red base, on red teleporter? can also give a nice speed boost across mid, if used with strafing.

- the mid is still too big. you need to be a very good railer (or just many ;D ) to catch the EFC. shaft can help, but with the teleporters and jumppads in mid its easy to switch levels and escape out of shafting range. other weapons are useless. (strong mg is helpful, thou)
there are several ways to change this.
1. add more spawns into mid. killing enemies makes them stand in your way again
2. make mid even more something like a needle hole.
3. add joki boxes, allowing enemies to hide+shot behind, or, blocking the way of the EFC a little, so he cant just strafejump at full speed thorugh mid.
4. place rail directly in mid

I dont know whats the best option .. some, or several can be tried .. in the end it has to work in public games :)

thx for mapping pulcher. again, avery promising and cool looking map :O)

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 07, 2011 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

hey pulchr,

luckily i got up later than popejo, so i don't have to write that much text. i mostly agree with him.

let me point out first, that i like the looks a lot, a lot more than pul1ctf. :)

here are a few spots, you might look into:

- there seems to be a lot of armor, and a bit low health. well there is 2 MH, but i think there is a little health missing in the bases. even the single 50-health is not be ensured, to be taken by the defenders. attackers, taking the YA-route might steal it, leaving the whole defenders without any HP to work with.

- the whole center area makes an a bit "unfinished" impression.

- overall there are a lot of jumppads. lots of air-time, makes one very defenseless against railers.

- i like the outlining and the texturing a lot.

[1]

[2]

[3]

[4]

[5]

[6]

[7]

[8]

[9]

[10]

[11]

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

next version is here: pul4ctf-n0.zip (7.3mb).

i've addressed a lot of the points raised by clown, popejo and joki in this version.

here is a list with some changes:

* lowered the crates in the base (easier to get up on).
* removed the two +25 health bubbles on the ground floor in the middle (old YA position).
* moved the YA from the ground floor high up and made it suspended (this is a test).
* swapped positions of base SG and GL.
* swapped positions of base YA and PG.
* placed the middle PG at the LG position at the upper side passage and removed that LG
* moved two +25 health bubbles from RA position closer to base.
* moved the MH some units closer to the center of the room.
* changed a lot of spawn - should be easier to catch the enemy flag carrier now.
* redesigned the top floor in the room with a RL and SG. needs more work if this change will be kept.
* added water to the back of the base.
* crossed the teleporter exits so you exit facing the same direction as you entered. let's test this and see if it works better.
* added three more +25 health bubbles in the bases. also added some ammo.
* adjusted jump pad in the base to go a little higher.
* moved the flag a little to the back of the base.
* adjusted jump pad in the RL-room so players doesn't bump into the floor.
* filled the gaps in the middle room floor and put a shoot-through grate there instead. this is a test...
* added a texture and shader for coloured arrows - and put a lot of them in the map.
* changed the teleporter texture.
* removed the two RGs and placed one on the floor in the middle room.

middle room seen from above. shoot through floor, arrows and suspended YA.

the RG is now at the bottom, the others were removed. also removed the health in this place.

some coloured arrows.

redesigned room, the upper floor has been removed. and the JP adjusted.

the back of the base is now flooded and the PG and YA swapped places.

Strzelba
LonesomeDrunk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:33 pm    Post subject: Re: pul4ctf Reply with quote

played there today well u cant call that playing but it looks very nice, need to test it in serious game:D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: