the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3tourney4
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › PC hardware plans
PC hardware plans
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:08 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

i got the laptop on friday and im very happy with it. they delivered the laptop with 4 gig ram instead of 2, with a 9 cell accu instead of a 6 cell.
in the beginning i installed arch on it, but the next day i got my windows 7 download link. I really like it and especially all those software made by lenovo for the thinkpad, so i use the hole disc for windows.
the cpu _is_ faster than my desktops and playing id tech3 stuff should be not a problem, didnt test it yet..
thanks Popejo for link to awesome store ;)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

Thats some nice customer service there!

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 2:26 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

What was the price, aanti?

aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2010 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

www.lapstore.de/aframe...g=x&a=2955
580€ - 10 € (no OS)
i didnt change anything in the config beside removing windows vista, but still i got better specs than ordered. the laptop works great, no downsides. one thing though: the cover of the screen stands 1mm away from the screen on the right side..cant describe it, maybe ill take a picture..
oh and the fingerprint reader is fun ;)

if i try to find a laptop with similar specs online i cant find something below 1000€ (new)

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 14, 2010 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

that switchable graphic option doesnt work, didnt find a working driver for windows 7. i have to use a catalyst version of august 2009 (i think without support for opengl 3). i cant install a recent version of catalys, the laptop blocks the installation *grrr*
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

You dont have switchable gfx on that lappy. To install the latest drivers, you need to add your specific gfx model to a .inf file wich is in the driver package. Try that.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

The following notebooks are not supported in this release:

* Switchable Graphics enabled notebooks using Intel chipsets.

so with a editor i can change a inf file and install latest catalyst ?
i dont need that switchable gfx thing, the battery lasts very long, i usually disable the intel in the bios, because i cant control screen brightness with the "switchable gfx" driver from lenovo ...

switchable_gfx.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  274.74 KB
 Viewed:  5048 Time(s)

switchable_gfx.png

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

if the catalyst doesn't work with win7, i would try to get a driver directly from ibm, which is generally usually a good idea for notebooks.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 11:31 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

1.) it is absolutely normal, that ATi dropps support for older gfx's and you have to go with an older cataclyst driver and stick to it. are you sure your gfx is still actively supported? (there's alway linux, you know ;P )

2.) you did read the lenovo FAQ on gfx switching? www-307.ibm.com/pc/sup...MIGR-70495
and this win7 switch driver did not work? www-307.ibm.com/pc/sup...MIGR-73641

you will have to log out- and in again anyway. so the gfx switching is just 1 min faster then aktivating/deaktivating the driver manually and rebooting

good luck

and go linux, goddamit !!

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 12:37 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

Aaah! Good to know. Anyway, your gfx is still activley supported even the 2xxx series is.

Btw, that log out- log in procedure is annoying, nV has a nicer way of doing this now.

Lenovo's (or rather any OEM's) drivers are usualy very old, so Id try the .inf edit method. The drivers are unified and are the same for all chipsets anyway. Reminding me that using windows update should get you the latest ati driver too. It doesent however include the latest Catalyst Control Centre.

You can also try what Joki uses.

Last edit, you can also force installing a new driver by going into device manager and in the gfx properties go to update driver and manualy direct it to where you unpacked the driver.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

I don't know anything about the switchable issue, but I second the Omega drivers option. That was the only way I could install a recent Catalyst version on my laptop, since manufacturers disallow drivers newer than their own.

aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 4:22 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

no omega drivers for win7 yet. oh well im happy with what i got

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 6:58 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
I don't know anything about the switchable issue, but I second the Omega drivers option. That was the only way I could install a recent Catalyst version on my laptop, since manufacturers disallow drivers newer than their own.

The decision to not support old chipset is only partially guided by the manufacturer policy to support only its new products.

You should know that old chipsets don't have hardware support for all GL features.

Check those matrixes for example : the GLSL support is not available on R200 and older chipsets

- xorg.freedesktop.org/w...FeatureUMS
- xorg.freedesktop.org/w...eonFeature
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

Hey, hey, I know that. Actually it was only yesterday that I entered into the magic world of OpenGL 2.1 by just installing Gallium. I don't notice any difference, but don't tell anyone.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2010 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

kernel_panic has changed sligthly since yesterday. I do not know what it is, but something is different with him.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 7 of 8

Jump to: