the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm9
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › PC hardware plans
PC hardware plans
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
looking for laptops, i think i can spent max. 600€..the lesser the better.
i didnt read much on the topic yet, but i need something for office work,
should me last a long time and i want to be able to play oa on that machine.

i found two laptops, quite different from each other, but both interesting..
what do you think?

lenovo thinkpad x100e
lenovo g560
from those two, one is too big and the other one too small, in my opinion :harr:

I bought a used Thinkpad T60 for ~400€ from them: www.lapstore.de/
(3rd time I bought something there + the ibm laptops never failed me so far)

Dual core Intel T2500 (SMP) clocked at 2000.00 MHz
Card ATI Radeon Mobility X1400
Res: 1400x1050 @ 60.0hz
Ram: 2 gb
hdd: 100GB

IBM lenovo T60
ThinkWiki (Linux ThInkPad Page)

QL runs flawless, OA has drops to ~100fps on oasago with action + playermodels. I play both in a lower resolution, not the full 1400x1050 on the 14.1 LCD.

OA screenshots:

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

All depends on the size of the screen you need (wich directly imply's weight concerns)/ battery time you need. A general rule of thumb is: Intel beats Amd on performance per watt. Thus enabling them to have better performing cpu's and longer battery life (except for Atom based netbooks).

For office use, the least comfortable diagonal would be 15,6". For mobility/weight I find 13.3" best.

Now for the gaming part. All AMD gfx from the integrated 3200 and upwards will enable you to play OA quite resonably. On the Intel side, the integrasted gfx in intels i5 and up cpu's will do the same job. If you eye an nVidia powered lappy, 9300 and up will play OA resonably.

Now, a coleague of mine just bought an ASUS UL30VT-QX025 Wich is a sweet thing. He installed a modern game and the gfx on that is quite able to play even new games like prototype and such. Extremly light, etremly long batt life and the neat feature of turning the dedicated gfx off and being able to use the intel integrated instead to preserve the batt.

It might be smallish for office use, but usb a keyboard and a desk monitor can solve that. :)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:25 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

If you take one with on-board graphic, gfx will be bad. If you take one with a dedicated gfx-card, really research for 2 factors: how low will the cooler be, how hot will the keyboard/chassis become.

And yes, usually Intel beat AMD Cpu/s a lttle when it comes to power/Watt, but AMD beats Intel, when it comes to Speed/Price by far.

Try this for a quick reference:

- CPU Bench

- GPU Bench
- (Alt)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:54 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

IMHO, AMD isent worth looking at in the mobile market at least untill they get Bobcat out later this year. See for yourself, thats the best AMD gets on battery. Id rather buy intel and an nV switchable over anything AMD right now, especialy if you are running linux. nV drivers just have more to show for in linux. I know, my HTPC uses an integrated Radeon 3200 and my main rig has an nV card. Oh, and btw, Im no intel fanboy, both my cpu's are AMD.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:59 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

Joki wrote:

And yes, usually Intel beat AMD Cpu/s a lttle when it comes to power/Watt, but AMD beats Intel, when it comes to Speed/Price by far.

Ubuntu has a nice utility for CPU comparisons with a database of the tests made by the users that can be updated via network .

Just type :
Code::
sudo apt-get install hardinfo 

Sample SS on the page of the project : hardinfo.berlios.de/Screenshots
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

ok i ordered this one:
Thinkpad R400

i think it has a dedicated gfx card good enough for oa and games like that and the cpu should outperform my desktops athlon 64 x2 5000 :hoho:
thanks popejo for awesome link!

comments ?
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 9:23 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
ok i ordered this one:
Thinkpad R400

i think it has a dedicated gfx card good enough for oa and games like that and the cpu should outperform my desktops athlon 64 x2 5000 :hoho:

comments ?

better then mine :(

ubuntu should work out of the box. fingerprint reader and "festplattenwackelschutz" can be added manually, if wanted.
some (a bit outdated, but comprehensive) linux info: www.thinkwiki.org/wiki...egory:R400

have fun & ggs =)

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:30 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

My PC hardware plans have just been fulfilled... they say the SNES-controller-to-USB-adapter will shit tomorrow... :hoho:
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 12:36 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

jack!! you know se only good ES-nES- game ever made is super kart marjo, dont u?? ill come visit you on saturdayy so we can get baked and play (i play se toad or the turtle), cu then.

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:44 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

Joki wrote:
ill come visit you on saturdayy

whaaaaaaaa... ? :O)
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 9:04 am    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

jackthompson wrote:
Joki wrote:
ill come visit you on saturdayy

whaaaaaaaa... ? :O)

HAHAHAH! He's making you CLEAN HARD! :hoho:

Back on topic, aanti the lappy seems allright for the task given. At that resolution, you should get decent fps in oa/like games. But dont expect too much from that graphics card.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
ok i ordered this one:
Thinkpad R400

comments ?

It's got a couple of very, very sweet things, the screen form factor and its matte surface (hard to find nowadays). On the other hand, if it lasts as long as you hope I guess you'll end up buying more RAM. And...Windows Vista??

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

i think 2gb would do, but if you want 4 instead, you should get them together with the notebook. upgrading later would suck, cause these things only have 1 memory-slot right?

and vista.... euuugh... can luckily be replaced. ;P

(i also think, that mattes display is neat)

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:07 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

cant wait for it to arrive :)
i did choose "no OS" and saved 10 €. i ordered windows 7 64 bit for students (35€) and plan to dual boot that with archlinux. well i hope the 2 gig will be enough, i know 64bit needs more ram, but the thing was already expensive enough! ordering it with 4 gig would have been +68 € more..

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: PC hardware plans Reply with quote

64-bit doesent "need" more ram. 64-bit allows you to "use" more ram. Also, most laptops have 2 ram slots, it's just that one slot is at the bottom of the lappy (easy acess), while the other one is usualy beneath the keyboard (most people dont know that).

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 6 of 8

Jump to: