the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: bal3dm4
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Art and design › OA video
OA video
3d, Photoshop, GIMP or pen & paper, this is where you find it all.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexArt and design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 2:29 pm    Post subject: OA video Reply with quote

a guy named RoOst3r posted an 8 minute long OA frag video in the league-forums.
very nice air-rockets and rails, with such illustrious ppl being fragged like: kernel_panic, Falkland, jessicara, sns and dash9 :grin:

watch it online or download it here:
files.filefront.com/Ju...einfo.html

I'm quoting:
Quote::

Hello. I've been playing OpenArena for awhile now and I think it is a great game. I have also been trying to make a frag movie to show off how much fun OpenArena can be. It's my first attempt www.mplayerhq.hu/desig...oad.htmlat making a movie of anything so I have had to learn everything from scratch. Still, I think it turned out pretty good for my first effort and well worth the download. Hope you like it. :-)

Here is the movie. It's an mp4 and about 8 minutes in length. Please download it from Filefront rather then stream it cause the streamed Filefront version looks horrible in comparison.
files.filefront.com/13557039

Hopefully you will not have any problems getting it to play. However, if you do run into problems I would recommend playing it with a good movie player such as MPlayer or VLC.

MPlayer - www.mplayerhq.hu/design7/dload.html
VLC - www.videolan.org/
: oa-cl.ucoz.org/forum/5...1239310797

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 7:04 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

looks pretty.. :o

is that bloom??
feLiZ_naVidAD

PostPosted: Sun Apr 12, 2009 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

nice video!!!

I love air rockets
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:15 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

PopeJo wrote:

very nice air-rockets and rails, with such illustrious ppl being fragged like: kernel_panic, Falkland, jessicara, sns and dash9 :grin:

Did u see also the railshot that touched me before the rocket that he shoted ?

BTW , this guy seems to have his brain ( does he have a brain ??? ) calculating vectors indeed ... airockets , expecially when the target is far from you , require u ( and all normal people ) to estimate where your target will be when your rocket will arrive there.

I said " TO ESTIMATE " 'cause rockets' speed is known ( 900 ups in VQ3 ) eventually , but players speed is not , because even u admit that every player is moving at the default linear speed ( 320 ups ) , jumpers have not the same speed in every map. Rocket splash damage radius is not significant in airockets because usually there are not obstacles near the target ; the only way to splash damage radius to be significant is AFTER you directly hit your target ( that's why an airockets can catch 200 hp ... 100 hp by the direct hit and 99hp by the splash damage ).

This guy seems to be so ease with predicted players position just in every map , also when apparently there are not any visual reference ( a item , an armor , a health ball ... an object in the map , a visual reference in the sky ... something ) ... wow ... definitely he's ease with vectorial speed calculation : linear speed in ups and direction expressed with x,y,z coordinates ... maybe he can solve any differential equation without writing anything on paper .... or MAYBE .... BUT MAYBE .... he "has" the same attitude of CPMA bots at a level equal or higher than 86 , when the evil RL is enabled and your position is predicted just on EVERY SHOTED ROCKET.

Now the nice rails : the first railshot in the video is against kernel_panic on oa_ctf2 ... he had kernel_panic in front of him for a few seconds before taking the jumper ... but of course he's not normal so he didn't tried to shot him when in front , but ONLY ... and I say ONLY ... when both were taking the jumpers and kernel was on his left out of his visual.

The rest of the video contains many other strange railshots where he suddenly turned on his left or his right shoting his enemies , also while they were respawning. How do I have to call this attitude ? Should I have to call it Rooster's SUDDENLY_RAILSHOTTING_ENEMIES_WHEN_THEY_ARE_ON_MY_LEFT_OR_ON_MY_RIGHT ?

Or MAYBE ... but MAYBE ... the enemy is shoted after an automatic relevation of enemy's distance ... or ... when he press the FIRE button ( uh ??? does he really press it ??? ) , first the crosshair goes suddenly on the enemy and then the enemy is shoted.

This video remember me the GetQuaked 3 quake3 video ... nice to be watched but which is "branded" as not so full of "authentic skills" also on QL forum.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

First off, the maker of the vid never claimed all those frags were his, afaik. Secondly, those frags couldev been collected for quite some time. Mby the guy autorecords all his games. Having that in mind, he couldev easyily collected 8 minutes of amazing frags during the period 081 is out. Hell, If I played long enough and collected all my holy-sth frags you would all think Im some sort of superbeeing.

Its just an awesome frag video, and should be considered as nothing else.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:33 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

I guess that is the key. If I played against somebody and during the match all his/her bloody frags were like those in the video I'd be more than pissed off. Now, this wasn't a demo, but a video that, as Snoo said, is probably a compilation of countless hours playing OA in the basement. Rest assured that his rocket launching and vectorial calculus skills have grown inversely proportional to his social ones during this period (*).

As for the rail action Falky mentioned, that's easy. The guy was shit scared and didn't want to make eye contact, hence that weird jumping manouver. Needless to say, I smashed him like a bug afterwards.

(*) Yeah, that's my personal way (**) of sublimating my frustration with OA, got a problem?

(**) Not the only one, to be fair; others include swearing, physical violence and chocolate brownies.

gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

Falkland wrote:
PopeJo wrote:

Did u see also the railshot that touched me before the rocket that he shoted ?

BTW , this guy seems to have his brain ( does he have a brain ??? ) calculating vectors indeed ... airockets , expecially when the target is far from you , require u ( and all normal people ) to estimate where your target will be when your rocket will arrive there.

I said " TO ESTIMATE " 'cause rockets' speed is known ( 900 ups in VQ3 ) eventually , but players speed is not , because even u admit that every player is moving at the default linear speed ( 320 ups ) , jumpers have not the same speed in every map. Rocket splash damage radius is not significant in airockets because usually there are not obstacles near the target ; the only way to splash damage radius to be significant is AFTER you directly hit your target ( that's why an airockets can catch 200 hp ... 100 hp by the direct hit and 99hp by the splash damage ).

This guy seems to be so ease with predicted players position just in every map , also when apparently there are not any visual reference ( a item , an armor , a health ball ... an object in the map , a visual reference in the sky ... something ) ... wow ... definitely he's ease with vectorial speed calculation : linear speed in ups and direction expressed with x,y,z coordinates ... maybe he can solve any differential equation without writing anything on paper .... or MAYBE .... BUT MAYBE .... he "has" the same attitude of CPMA bots at a level equal or higher than 86 , when the evil RL is enabled and your position is predicted just on EVERY SHOTED ROCKET.

Now the nice rails : the first railshot in the video is against kernel_panic on oa_ctf2 ... he had kernel_panic in front of him for a few seconds before taking the jumper ... but of course he's not normal so he didn't tried to shot him when in front , but ONLY ... and I say ONLY ... when both were taking the jumpers and kernel was on his left out of his visual.

The rest of the video contains many other strange railshots where he suddenly turned on his left or his right shoting his enemies , also while they were respawning. How do I have to call this attitude ? Should I have to call it Rooster's SUDDENLY_RAILSHOTTING_ENEMIES_WHEN_THEY_ARE_ON_MY_LEFT_OR_ON_MY_RIGHT ?

Or MAYBE ... but MAYBE ... the enemy is shoted after an automatic relevation of enemy's distance ... or ... when he press the FIRE button ( uh ??? does he really press it ??? ) , first the crosshair goes suddenly on the enemy and then the enemy is shoted.

This video remember me the GetQuaked 3 quake3 video ... nice to be watched but which is "branded" as not so full of "authentic skills" also on QL forum.

jealous :pft:
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

gummi wrote:
Falkland wrote:
PopeJo wrote:

[...]

jealous :pft:

In the same way that I defend those wrongly accused of using a bot, I have to defend here the name, honour and professionality of Falkland. It is not easy to carry on with his job. You have to think fast and you have to act fast; and afterwards bear the burden of the consequences, whatever those may be. Day after day, week after week, new artificial devices prop up ready for attack, with the sole objective of destroying what we most love.

Machines don't breath, don't feel and don't forgive; their existence is pure, cruel fragging. You can't therefore be jealous of a machine. Sometimes mistakes take place, but those are the minority. Suggesting that some unjust damage was deliberatly caused is irresponsible and dishonest.

You may be into this only for fun, or perhaps you actually cherish some higher values that compelled you to raise your voice in defence of the creator of what you call art. Whatever your reasons, remember that the borders between freedom and slavery are pretty thin, and other colonies have already fallen. Had people like Falkland not stick to their duties without taking the easy path and giving up, we would all be doomed and pwned by the machines. The boys from his department have chosen a tough life, defending me and defending you without asking questions. However, they don't want your pity, only your respect.

Don't forget it.

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:50 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

this is silly. all good fragmovies have insane frags. and when i say insane i mean awesome frags that are a combination of skill and luck and countless hours of fragging. i know for sure that if i made a fragmovie i wouldn't use pointless kills or show all the missed shots - that video would be 500 hours long and quite boring.

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

i like to play q3.

I like to watch bzz
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 12:23 am    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

I like to occasionally sleep for more than 12 hours.
And after this either get up and so some fragging, or stay in bed.

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:14 am    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

Falkland lost all credibility, when he called me a cheating Belgian hack. Now he just sits on Nemesis annoying whoever has the highest score, and taking "evidence", back to his RN| hideout.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

gummi wrote:
...taking "evidence", back to his RN| hideout.

I seriously hope youre not implying anything.

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

Quote::
In the same way that I defend those wrongly accused of using a bot, I have to defend here the name, honour and professionality of Falkland. It is not easy to carry on with his job. You have to think fast and you have to act fast; and afterwards bear the burden of the consequences, whatever those may be. Day after day, week after week, new artificial devices prop up ready for attack, with the sole objective of destroying what we most love.

Machines don't breath, don't feel and don't forgive; their existence is pure, cruel fragging. You can't therefore be jealous of a machine. Sometimes mistakes take place, but those are the minority. Suggesting that some unjust damage was deliberatly caused is irresponsible and dishonest.

You may be into this only for fun, or perhaps you actually cherish some higher values that compelled you to raise your voice in defence of the creator of what you call art. Whatever your reasons, remember that the borders between freedom and slavery are pretty thin, and other colonies have already fallen. Had people like Falkland not stick to their duties without taking the easy path and giving up, we would all be doomed and pwned by the machines. The boys from his department have chosen a tough life, defending me and defending you without asking questions. However, they don't want your pity, only your respect.

Don't forget it.

So very true kernel_panic. People just don't appreciate how hard Falkland is fighting to protect us from the robotic menace. They seem to have forgotten the true nature of a bot...

"It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead."
gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: OA video Reply with quote

Falkland wrote:

From Ro0ster | openarena.ws/board/ind...pic=2959.0

Quote - menganito

How do you do those rail-twitch-hits? Is it like Air rocket: you "calculate" where the enemy is at a given time and just shoot that place? Or is there another trick?

Quote - Ro0ster

Yes, with all the shots there is some visual cue at first of where the player is. From that I then make a guess as to where I think the player will be. So, before I move my hand I have already committed in my mind as to where I will shoot and it is a location and not a player. If you watch my mouse movements in the video there are tell tale signs of this. There are spots where, like a cat wiggles its butt when it's going to pounce, I wiggle my aim as I am preparing to do some twitch shot. At that point I have already committed to where I will shoot. Or for another example, at about 3:16 in the movie I pass by a female player model. I flip and shoot at the wrong location and miss. However, luckily someone, the model that looks like a gargoyle, had the misfortune of spawning and getting in the way. So I hit him instead which is why that one made it into the movie. Tongue

I find that those shots are much easier when there is no vertical mouse movement and the target is close. Like air rockets, as the target gets farther away predicting where you need to shoot to hit becomes much more difficult. Also, when there is no vertical movement it's pretty easy to guess where someone will be when they run in a straight line. However, if they are jumping off a ledge and you then have to guess at that too then the difficulty of the shot takes a steep climb.

Another thing to remember is that it's CTF and I am usually playing offense. When I grab the flag everyone that sees me will chase me. So if 3 people are chasing me they will almost always just fall into a nice little cluster behind me trying to catch up. At that point if I flip a 180 and shoot I am bound to hit someone. Smiley

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note Ro0ster hasn't been playing for a very long time ( Couldn't be more than a month), and he/she is already a very talented player. I just don't appreciate how on these forums, who i'm sure are filled with 8+year players, everyone who is better than those 8+year players is called a cheater, and everyone who is worse, a noob.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Art and design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: