the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm4
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › 0.8.1 low performance
0.8.1 low performance
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:49 am    Post subject: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

Hihi

I know it's a bit repetitive...but I get low performance in 0.8.1...Things in 0.7.1 are not perfect, but the FPS rate is much more stable and higher than what I get with the latest version. The settings are pretty much the same, with the low_detail_textures thing and everything else. Is somebody else getting the same? I don't know if it's relevant, but FPS are normal when I'm alone in some part of the level, and suddenly drop to 70-80 as soon as I spot players/bots...

:(

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

not really. I got fps issues quite randomly and I guess they are external to OA.

you might try different configs.

maybe there is an unsuspicious variable causing it.

various cfg's have been posted here in the forum you can use, or ask in the chat if you want to try more.

good luck, and please post if you find a solution =D

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

I noticed that 08x takes more horsepower to run, its a fact. You'll have to live with it, or BUY THAT DAMN RIG! :)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

- There was a change some time ago in ioquake3 engine ( minor ? ) about GL rendering support

- I've noticed that q3 game net traffic is probably higly subjected to traffic shaping ( I have a ping between 130-180 to the tuxfamily servers Oo .. and a ping between 87-100 to jt server and 98-120 to RN servers ) and an external net monitor shows sometimes a higly decreased amount of received data ( lost ? ) -> lower fps and lagging

- to kernel panic : try to recompile the engine with the following CFLAGS ( search for the right arch - i 386 - OPTIMIZE word in the Makefile

Code::
-O3 -march=native -mtune=native -maccumulate-outgoing-args \
      -mno-push-args -fomit-frame-pointer -ffast-math \
      -funroll-loops -falign-loops=4 -falign-jumps=4 \
      -fstrength-reduce -fforce-addr -falign-functions=4 \
     -fprefetch-loop-arrays -fstack-protector -D_FORTIFY_SOURCE=2

At least try only to modify only arch support
-O3 -march=native -mtune=native

This will build an engine optimized for your processor which is automatically detected by "native" directive if u're using a gcc version >= 4.2

If u're using a minor gcc version , just specify the right processor family ( eg .. u're on Pentium M , so ... -march=pentiumm -mtune=pentiumm )
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

falkland could you post instructions how to compile the latest ioquake snapshot and what to do to make it work with openarena ? do i need a specific version to have the legacy input system ?

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

nice, i just used those cflags and compiled openarena.ws/svn/sourc...oa.tar.bz2 the 0.7.0 source. its MUCH better now !!

in code/qcommon/qcommon.h
you can specify the protocol version: 71 for 0.8.1

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

very cool falkland... i'll give that a try too :D
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

aargh no, that was propably too much, its crashing:

*** glibc detected *** ./ioquake3.x86_64: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0000000002621620 ***
Received signal 11, exiting...
----- CL_Shutdown -----
DOUBLE SIGNAL FAULT: Received signal 11, exiting...

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
aargh no, that was propably too much, its crashing:

*** glibc detected *** ./ioquake3.x86_64: malloc(): memory corruption: 0x0000000002621620 ***
Received signal 11, exiting...
----- CL_Shutdown -----
DOUBLE SIGNAL FAULT: Received signal 11, exiting...

That's the effect of -fstack-protector directive : it crashed 'cause of a (potential ?) buffer overflow.

Quote::

Signal 11, or officially know as "segmentation fault", means that the program accessed a memory location that was not assigned. That's usually a bug in the program

Is it a serial event or it happened once or two times ?

Multiplayer or singlePlayer ?

Map ?

BTW , the code of the old engine is a bit "dirty" ... they ( at ioquake3 ) spent much time to clean it.
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:13 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

several times in multiplayer, on different non-baseoa maps, like speedyctf, but i didnt test those in singleplayer.
same thing happens if i compiled it with just
-O3 -march=native -mtune=native

it would be cool if u could explain how to apply oa changes to a recent ioquake version (or to the one with the legacy input)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
falkland could you post instructions how to compile the latest ioquake snapshot and what to do to make it work with openarena ? do i need a specific version to have the legacy input system ?

I didn't try yet to compile a version based on the latest ioquake3 snapshot for oa081 but I can post the instruction for OA071 . The legacy input system is not available in the latest ioquake3.

1. grab the latest SVN snapshot from ioquake3.org

svn co svn://svn.icculus.org/quake3/trunk ioquake3

2. copy the oa_changes-071.diff in the ioquake3 dir ; just place in that dir and apply the patch :

patch -p1 <   oa_changes-071.diff

3. if u want the quakelive mouse accel function copy the patch in ioquake3 dir and apply it

patch -p1 < quakelive_mouse_accel.patch

4. open the Makefile with your fav editor and modify CFLAGS in the right arch section ( I use the same posted before )

5. create a Makefile.local file in the ioquake3 dir with the following content :

# OpenAl Support
USE_OPENAL=1
USE_OPENAL_DLOPEN=1

# We don't need VoIP support for Oa071
USE_MUMBLE=0
USE_VOIP=0
USE_INTERNAL_SPEEX=0

6 . Just type make

The engine will lack also bloom and vorbis support

Edit : just added txt extension to the diff file , 'cause the system refuses .diff and .patch files
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2008 11:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

works great, i like the quake live mouse accel
now ill try the same with 081

edit:
the oachanges patch (http://openarena.ws/svn/source/oachanges.diff) does not apply :(

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
works great, i like the quake live mouse accel
now ill try the same with 081

edit:
the oachanges patch (http://openarena.ws/svn/source/oachanges.diff) does not apply :(

Uh ?

why do u need that patch ?

If u're trying to have an oa081 engine based on the latest ioquake3 , that's not the right patch :

look here ... u can download the sources of oa081 and recompile the engine.

If u want having the quakelive mouse accel patch for oa081 , just apply it to the original sources and compile them ( with the same CFLAGS u have used for the OA071 compatible engine ) ... it should reject a lines ( or 2 ) in a single file , but it's simple to add the rejected changes manually. Atm I'm using quakelive mouse accel patch also in oa081.

If u do not use VoIP , u can also disable it adding this to the Makefile.local :

USE_MUMBLE=0
USE_VOIP=0
USE_INTERNAL_SPEEX=0
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

Falkland! You are a gold mine.

Noooow...I was thinking that we've got the same sort of system, could you upload your compiled binaries somewhere so I don't have to do all this stuff? (it's not just lazyness, it's lack of time too!).

:)

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 4:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 0.8.1 low performance Reply with quote

Here are the engine sources already patched with the ql mouse input patch , ready to be compiled with the same CFLAGS posted above and without VOIP support

Time needed here :

Without VoIP

time make

real	3m29.313s
user	3m0.761s
sys	0m5.474s

With VoIP ( just comment with # the last 3 lines in Makefile.local )

time make

real	4m22.259s
user	3m27.968s
sys	0m6.824s

For other users with other arch than linux-i386/x32 , just put the CFLAGS in the correct section or compile with the default ones.

EDIT : note for OSX users ( if someone will maybe try to compile ) : I've removed the libs because I was not able to upload the archive - (it was larger than 2MB)
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: