the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: ztn3dm2
Players: 3 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › Advice required
Advice required
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 12:21 pm    Post subject: Advice required Reply with quote

Guys, could you make me a favour and tell me whether you use accelerations and how many centimetres you need to move your mouse to do a 360 degrees turn? If you use acceleration this would be when moving the mouse slowly, of course.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

no acceleration and i switched from 14 to 24cm recently...
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

seta sensitivity "2.6"
seta cl_mouseaccel "0.02"

about 10cm for 360° if i move the mouse slow
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:30 am    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

seta cl_mouseAccel "0"
seta sensitivity "10"

4-5 cm for a 360° turn

but I have a logitech mx518 mouse and can change my sensitivity by mouse buttons in game.

and 081 still feels a bit different from 071.. so I change the sensitivity by mouse button between the mods and versions sometimes

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Quote::

This patch comes with an alternate set of cvars to configure and tweak mouse
acceleration. Nothing fundamentally new but it's a bit easier to setup mouse acceleration,
and it's an option offered in QUAKE LIVE which I'm contributing to the GPL'ed quake3 source already.

Below is a bit of documentation I posted about the system.

TTimo

--

I've been using an experimental mouse acceleration code for a while, and decided to make it available to everyone.

Don't be too worried if you don't understand the explanations below, this is mostly intended for advanced players:

To enable it, set cl_mouseAccelStyle 1 (0 is the default/legacy behavior)

New style is controlled with 3 cvars:
sensitivity
cl_mouseAccelOffset
cl_mouseAccel

The old code (cl_mouseAccelStyle 0) can be difficult to calibrate because if you have a base sensitivity setup, as soon as you set a non zero acceleration your base sensitivity at low speeds will change as well. The other problem with style 0 is that you are stuck on a square (power of two) acceleration curve.

The new code tries to solve both problems:

Once you setup your sensitivity to feel comfortable and accurate enough for low mouse deltas with no acceleration (cl_mouseAccel 0), you can start increasing cl_mouseAccel and tweaking cl_mouseAccelOffset to get the amplification you want for high deltas with little effect on low mouse deltas.

cl_mouseAccel is a power value. Should be >= 1, 2 will be the same power curve as style 0. The higher the value, the faster the amplification grows with the mouse delta.

cl_mouseAccelOffset sets how much base mouse delta will be doubled by acceleration. The closer to zero you bring it, the more acceleration will happen at low speeds. This is also very useful if you are changing to a new mouse with higher dpi, if you go from 500 to 1000 dpi, you can divide your cl_mouseAccelOffset by two to keep the same overall 'feel' (you will likely gain in precision when you do that, but that is not related to mouse acceleration).

Mouse acceleration is tricky to configure, and when you do you'll have to re-learn your aiming. But you will find that it's very much forth it in the long run.

my settings :

Code::
set sensitivity 10
set cl_mouseAccelStyle 1
set cl_mouseaccel 1
set cl_mouseaccelOffset 1

4 cm for a complete 360 degrees turn

This behavior could/should be different on windows
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Same as aanti except 4 sens and 0 accel
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:34 am    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Turning Circle is ~23cm (just measured, cg_fov 115). I dont use mouse-acceleration.
Turning Circle while zoomed (for long-distance railshots @ cg_fov50) is ~54cm.

I used a ~30cm turning circle while playing in LAN. You will kill someone with your MG in 3 seconds this way. (70% MG hit rate while both players are in full movement)

You can't compare sensitivity thou, cause it also depends on the cvar in_mouse and what you have set in your (e.g.razer-) mouse-driver mouse-speed settings as well.

@PopeJo: 4cm???? Can you hit a 18 x 40meters wide TRUCK, travelling at a speed of 1,3e-136 mph from a distance of 8 meters @ cg_fov 60 with your railgun with this sensitivity? Do you do accidental 360° turns from shaking hands, after drinking an extra cup of coffee before you start playing?

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Quote::
4cm???? Can you hit a 18 x 40meters wide TRUCK, travelling at a speed of 1,3e-136 mph from a distance of 8 meters @ cg_fov 60 with your railgun with this sensitivity? Do you do accidental 360° turns from shaking hands, after drinking an extra cup of coffee before you start playing?

:) Yeah, I though the same (well, not exactly the same).

I know we can't compare sensitivity values, and that's why I asked about the distance thing. I see that the conclusion is that there are no conclusions, everybody plays differently. I use like 20 cm with fov 130, and use acceleration because my mouse is crap and lags sooo badly if I move it fast. At least with acceleration enabled it'll allow me to turn a bit quicker than without it...

Well, the other conclusion is that I'm not doing something absurdly wrong...so I have no excuses for loosing :(

yay!

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Use an USB-Mouse. Even if you use a PS/2 mouse that is oversampled to 200hz it seems to be laggy (and oversampling the it seems to eat up a lot CPU for some reason o.o) and causes weird errors. Like sometimes mouse-freezing for 10 seconds, and then suddenly the mouse goes totally crazy: You tip it and it start to open 5 prorgams on your desktop and all... :(

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

6cm, no acceleration. I used to have a <2cm turning circle which I've been slowley bumping up over the past year, and my aim has got much better for it. On a similar note my flatmate, who's a much better player than me (owns me in just about every match we play) has a ~10cm turning circle with acceleration, though has recently lowered his acceleration from 0.6 to 0.3 and noted a conciderable improvement in aim for it.

Also, proving you don't need acceleration to play with a very low sens:
uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlqJlUqz-hA
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 9:42 am    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Joki wrote:
@PopeJo: 4cm???? Can you hit a 18 x 40meters wide TRUCK, travelling at a speed of 1,3e-136 mph from a distance of 8 meters @ cg_fov 60 with your railgun with this sensitivity? Do you do accidental 360° turns from shaking hands, after drinking an extra cup of coffee before you start playing?
it feels normal to me and is great on defrag where I'd otherwise grind my mousepad to dust and on deathmatches (corky!) where I need to aim very quickly and change targets fast.

on 1v1 I suck anyway and on ctf I am thinking about lowering it because I don't hit that match with the zoom on high distance. but I'd loose my movement/speed so I haven't found the perfect movement settings there, yet.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

>20cm and mg is pure magic \:D/

i use both mice now.. the broken copperhead and the mx518... the copperhead doesn't feel so clunky...
0xdan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

woah, more than 20cm is just... well i just don't have enough space for it on my desk :)
i use a sensitivity of 7.5 (in 071) with no mouse accel and it takes about 5/6 cm to do a full 360°.
Mathieu, which uses a sens. of 10 with no mouse accel just made a video showing the measurement and some in-game movements.
On first part of video you can see a ruler where the distance beetween the 2 red dots is 10 cm long.

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

This is a ruler? He has a dwarf on his table!!!!!!!!!!!!!111
Btw what is he doing at 0:13 in the lower left corner?

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Advice required Reply with quote

Joki wrote:
Btw what is he doing at 0:13 in the lower left corner?

Seems like writing stuff to me. :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: