the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: mksteel
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Brightskins!
Brightskins!
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:12 am    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

Joki wrote:
I was a little curious, which product thy "ol' Kalaspuffar" might be, so i asked the Oracle.

The search http://www.google.de/search?q=kalas+puffar lead to this magic triangle.

Coincidence? I don't think so!
Looks more like Illuminatis hand writing to me. Therefor these lil puffies shall be destroyed!

(And to answer your next question: Yes, right now I've got way too much time on my hands, for over another month.)

That is too damn funny...

Does this mean that "Kalaspuffar" would be banned in parts of the United States where it's illegal to have sex in public places (read: sell sugarpuffs in store)...interesting..weird...welcome to my world..

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

it would be perfectly legal if you just put a gun inside the package, and no replicas.

0xdan
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

Thanks RAZ3R for this excellent pak!

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

Wot about these brightskins for our servers?

z-defaultmodelbright.pk3
 Description:
From NoGhost
 Filename:  z-defaultmodelbright.pk3
 Filesize:  784.38 KB
 Downloaded:  157 Time(s)

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

i've taken those z-defaultmodelbright.pk3 skins and combined them with the shader script of our former ones... and called the result z-proskins2.pk3 like RAZ3R's.. to keep the bloat in the download dir's small... or so...

i've put them on all servers that had proskins before...

the proskins for weapons are gone from RN|TDM 080 again... but might return in a separate pk3.. or so... dunno... :D
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Oct 26, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

I don't know if you changed the file name of the folder but the players folder needs a folder called sarge along with the grism one.

Most mods will have sarge registered as default model and reset your model to that value. sarge is already in OA and I guess the reason why it's there is so that mods will work. It contains the grism default skin I think. On some mods like corkscrew you need to set grism as team_model or/and also /model. If there was a sarge folder with the same contents as grism then the bright model would be default without having to change anything. I've not tried it but I've always used sarge and never had problems, I guess on basoa without mods then grism should be bright too
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 3:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

the FPS police has detected yet another criminal

models are FPS hungry serial perpetrators.

can we do something about it in the form of brightskins? otherwise the incident will be reported in the redo-OA thread, where these scalawags will meet their judges

/me hathesth's spokensth's

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

hmmm... the geometry would have to be reduced..

there is already the hitbox model though.. rn.furver.se/index.php...pic&t=1548 :D
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

It's only a small part of the problem. All the textures are double the size, it's hard to tell what effect that has on some of the custom maps.

The textures can be reduced and I dont notice any difference at all. But even with bright skins the model textures are still loaded into ram and eats away at resources.

For example, cpm skins are around 300k... some oa models are at 10mb+

Even doing anything with them is pointless.. there's too many other things that causes fps issues :/
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

the hitbox model has it's own texture... it's a complete model without dependencies...
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

forgot to mention.. the oa skins were already reduced by 50% and the actual file size was reduced more than 50%.

Perhaps sarge/grism can stay, with smarine. Even if the cpm code isnt implemented, we have the alpha skins so can colorize these green/bright red and blue and keep the originals too. I would be quite happy with something like that if there was going to be continued development for full cpm models. No point in applying all the models and bloating the package but I guess speaker can answer the question better.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

jackthompson wrote:
the hitbox model has it's own texture... it's a complete model without dependencies...

its the most stupid looking thing ever.
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

it's not only the skin sizes that slows down. here's a link to the openarena forum where there were discussions about ways to up the frame rate.

in the post i linked i added together the triangles of each model in openarena and compared them to two quake 3 models. as you can see the difference is huge. might be worth to try a different model if the fps is very low.

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

wow.. thats quite a difference. One thing I did notice is the animations on q3 models are quite amazing when you watch them in slow time scale. Although the textures are smaller they are crammed with more detail. I guess you get what you pay for but I have no knowledge of models and animation but with the size of the image, there is no great detail in the models. I had always wondered if there was any reason for the texture sizes and could only think of that it might look amazing on a 50" plasma screen or something. Maybe the hitbox might be of use after all :D

But as a_clown suggested, it being 'redone' would suggest that most of it really does need reviewed, because the levels of performance between players must really differ by huge margins. One of the guys on the OA forums contantly reminds us he can only get up to 30 fps and was delighted one day he gained 40 fps. One difference between q3 and OA is that I always had my fps locked at 125... on OA I got a system double the spec and I almost managed a stable 125.. but at times it will suddenly drop and rise at times and then more often, which is something that would be rare on q3.

On q3 I use lightmap, on OA it HAS to be vertex even though my system far exceeds the expectations of the minimum specs.
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Brightskins! Reply with quote

jackthompson wrote:
. rn.furver.se/index.php...amp;t=1548 :D

The link as it is requires another login ( at least in firefox 3.6 , that implement a content restriction manager) because rn.furver.se != rainbow.furver.se and the access cookie for rainbow.furver.se is not valid for rn.furver.se

BTW , the zerox brightskins ( those ones used on ROFL servers and on Nemesis ) are lighter than RN brightskins ( those ones used on Tourney3 ).
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: