Server-side demos are now a reality
-> Main

#1: Server-side demos are now a reality Author: GrosBedoLocation: Uh ? o_O PostPosted: Sat Mar 04, 2017 8:30 pm
    ----
BIG NEWS! (this is not a clickbait ;) ): server-side demos for OpenArena/ioquake3 are now a reality.

1. All (big) issues have been fixed in my server-side demos patch: movers are correctly replayed, and the patch has been tested for years on my servers (and is being used for a new E+ competition), it worked without any issue. This leads to the release of the first stable release v1.0.0, you can grab it here: github.com/lrq3000/ope...s/releases

2. Another developper implemented the snapshot-replay approach, an alternative approach to my patch. This implements something more akin to a multiview demo than a real freeflying server side demo, but it's also completely server side and mod-agnostic! This is like TheDoctor's patch, but it saves all demos in one file instead of one demo per player, and it has some more functionalities. To grab the diff patch, go here: edawn-mod.org/forum/vi...=5&t=7 (mirror here) and the commands/cvars are here: edawn-mod.org/binaries...e3e-mv.txt

3. My patch is also available for the latest ioquake3 and has been submitted as a pull request.

So that's pretty much the end of this quite long story, with a happy ending :) These patchs could be used to recreate a GTV replacement, a new adventure!

PS: for the whole devlog, see the github readme and commits or: openarena.ws/board/ind...pic=4437.0

#2: Re: Server-side demos are now a reality Author: JockeTFLocation: Sweden PostPosted: Sun Mar 05, 2017 4:29 pm
    ----
Excellent! Nice work! :)

#3: Re: Server-side demos are now a reality Author: GrosBedoLocation: Uh ? o_O PostPosted: Wed Mar 08, 2017 1:38 am
    ----
Thanks for your feedback on the PR JockeTF :D I don't think it will ever gets merged into core ioq3, but I hope at least it will be on their website as an official patch. And I'm pretty sure this approach can be translated to newer engines like Doom3 so this would be nice to keep :)

-> Main