the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm17
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Art and design › OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA)
OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA)
3d, Photoshop, GIMP or pen & paper, this is where you find it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexArt and design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:31 am    Post subject: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

Since no one has bothered to even start a thread of this magnitude, I might as well. Just shortly after I posted my Hi-Res version of the Ammobox weapon icons, I came up with the idea of redoing the textures for OpenArena and Quake 3 Arena.

Lets get the obvious out of the way. The OpenArena textures will be easy to edit as they are already GPL and can be butchered in everyway possible. The Quake 3 Arena ones... Those will have to be done completely by scratch with the textures as the only reference. This will be rather difficult to pull off but it is possible. If you need examples of retexturing projects, look for either the Quake 1+2 rextexturing projects or the Doom 1+2 rexture projects. The Doom 1+2 retexture projects are fine example of hi-res texture done right without a need of special graphical stuff in the engine.

Here's the major idea for the retexture project. No, I won't be doing it or will be doing really simple textures or something random.

* The size of the texture must be two or three times the size of the original. If one texture is 256x512, then the new texture will be 512x1024. This way it'll look nice and won't be rather shitty looking.
* There must be three types of the same texture. A normal texture based from the original, then a darker version, then a lighter version. This way there is more of a variety to work from.
* Some textures will need to be seamless and should not look like they are repeating. This is a hard feat to pull off, but when done right, you'll be immersed into the game better.
* All these textures will be released under the GPL license if and when it gets started.
* Textures from other GPL'd content is allowed as long as you state which GPL game it came from so that we know as a reference to it. But I strongly discourage doing so as this is mainly directed towards the retexturing of OpenArena and Quake 3 Arena.
* If possible, release the texture sources if you can. This way others can learn from what you, the artist, did.

There is no such thing as a bad texture artist. Any and every texture is useful. Everyone should get involved if they can. GIMP, Photoshop, MS Paint, Paint.NET, any image editor that you can find.

What is everyones take on this? I'd love to see this get off the ground almost immediately.

Here's a link to the doom rexturing project that's going on right now. You could probably use this as an inspiration to get yourself motivated. I'll see if I can work on getting the textures I have uploaded from the previous retexturing project

forums.yaa.dk/viewtopi...2&t=69

It'll be one of the first files at the top. jdtp-20070908.pk3

Here's the two texture packs I uploaded from the previous doom retexture projects.
files.filefront.com/20...einfo.html
files.filefront.com/jd...einfo.html

Found a site while googling with a SVN that contain all GPL content. This'll be useful for this said project. Here's the link to website and a direct link to the SVN. I would probably recommend that you copy and paste the link.

www.worldforge.org/
www.worldforge.org/med.../media_faq

Code::
https://svn.worldforge.org:886/svn/media/trunk/

I found a texture pack from a Duke Nukem 3D retexturing project that is GPL. If you look at the faq, near the bottom, you'll see that it states that it is GPL.

hrp.duke4.net/index.php

Quote::
Q: Can I use the HRP textures and models in my map/mod/game?
A: The HRP is released under GPL which means that you are free to use them in your mod/game/map as long as it is also released under GPL. You may however not make Duke Nukem 3D remakes or remakes of other games using them. 3D Realms does not allow this and probably never will. The only reason the HRP is allowed is because it is an addon to the original game and requiers the user to own the original game to work.

That's for the lazy people if they don't want to go and verify themselves.

Found a nice little ultility called libnoise. Explanation from the site below.

libnoise.sourceforge.net/index.html
libnoise is a portable C++ library that is used to generate coherent noise, a type of smoothly-changing noise. libnoise can generate Perlin noise, ridged multifractal noise, and other types of coherent-noise.

Coherent noise is often used by graphics programmers to generate natural-looking textures, planetary terrain, and other things. The mountain scene shown above was rendered in Terragen with a terrain file generated by libnoise. You can also view some other examples of what libnoise can do.

In libnoise, coherent-noise generators are encapsulated in classes called noise modules. There are many different types of noise modules. Some noise modules can combine or modify the outputs of other noise modules in various ways; you can join these modules together to generate very complex coherent noise.

What I find impressive about this is it can procedurally create textures. Examples from the same site are located here...
libnoise.sourceforge.n...index.html

That's some impressive shit and I think work implemented into any game project in the future.

Forgot to include this little thing in my previous edit. It's a menu made for quake 1. It's four megs and is all gpl. Includes PSDs along with it. Though, I found out you need the QUAKE font for the PSDs if you want to make any changes. This is GPL by the way as seen on the site.

www.bramstein.nl/quake/

Found this nifty little thing, another texture generator by the name of Evolvotron. Unfortunately, there is no Win32 version of the thing. But it might be worth while to have around. There are two locations, sourceforge and the actual website.

sourceforge.net/projec.../index.htm
www.bottlenose.demon.c...volvotron/

This one seems to be the weirdest imaging thing yet. It's called Kandid... Well, I'll let the description take you in.
kandid.sourceforge.net/index.html

Kandid is a system to evolve graphics. Graphics, in Kandid, is not drawn by hand. Instead new forms can be found using genetic algorithms. To achieve this aim Kandid simulates evolution using sexual reproduction and populations. But there is no fitness function in side the program. Only the user decide which images are interesting.

Before anyone freaks out. On their site, it'll say "CC-GNU GPL" at the bottom. I asked Wiz to verify if it was the same thing as GPL and it is. First one to freak out over this deserves a long brutal stabbing.

Found a nice functional Caustics generator. Messed around with it for like two minutes and found the results to be quite nice looking. Only issue is the source is 1.3 while the binary is 1.4. Shouldn't affect us too much.
License is stated on the website and in the source code. But the actual license document does not come with the source-code. Here's what it states from the source.
LICENSE
-------
This program is released as free software under GNU GPL.
See www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

If you use this program to create images for any commercial product, please
give us some credit.

www.lysator.liu.se/~kand/caustics/

Last edited by AllegedlyDead on Sat Sep 15, 2007 3:25 am; edited 9 times in total
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:36 am    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

Funny you say this now, because yesterday i was thinking the exact same thing.

Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

SnooSnoo wrote:
Funny you say this now, because yesterday i was thinking the exact same thing.
I haven't gotten that far in my processing of thoughts yet but it's a really nice idea. With 'custom' textures we can design the look to be suitable for upcoming projects and with increased size of them it will also be high-quality textures. One thing to remember, when making a texture in Photoshop or GIMP which contains layers, remember to save the source file with layers if it's using them, failure to do so might result in them not falling under the GPL licences.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

nice plan AllegedlyDead, the oa/q3 maps really could do with a facelift.

i'm planning to take some photo's of textures for my own project. the theme probably won't match a lot of oa/q3 maps, but if there are any textures you'd like me to keep an eye out for i'd be glad to help. i'll be working mainly in an urban environment, but there are a few parks if you want nature textures too.
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:40 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

Any type of texture should work. We should probably have a site set up for this sort of thing. It'll be helpful none-the-less if we have additional textures to work from.
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

Adding small texture packs makes it easier to work with and eventually add a major pack with the small ones inside. Ye, I don't make any sense, but I'm used to it :)

dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:26 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

Quite redundant.

AllegedlyDead wrote:

A: The HRP is released under GPL which means that you are free to use them in your mod/game/map as long as it is also released under GPL. You may however not make Duke Nukem 3D remakes or remakes of other games using them. 3D Realms does not allow this and probably never will. The only reason the HRP is allowed is because it is an addon to the original game and requiers the user to own the original game to work.

It is however, full of non-free stuff such as Poser renders, trademarks, copyrighted material (Ted Turner's head etc) and obvious derived textures from originals. I wonder if Broussard even knows this is 'gpl' and not 'freeware'.

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
Quite redundant.

AllegedlyDead wrote:

It is however, full of non-free stuff such as Poser renders, trademarks, copyrighted material (Ted Turner's head etc) and obvious derived textures from originals. I wonder if Broussard even knows this is 'gpl' and not 'freeware'.
Good advice. It's really a pain in the **** to know what is true freedom, and what's not since people tend to mix everything from everywhere with anything :(

dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:47 pm    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

Yeah you really shouldn't take the word of many retexture projects. The Quake Retexture Project for example claims 100% from scratch and their property, even though it is quite obvious most of the textures are resized originals with added grain

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Sep 22, 2007 9:26 am    Post subject: Re: OpenArena+Q3A Rexture Project (IDEA) Reply with quote

i'm leaning towards "trust no-one" on this and experimenting with making my own textures. i'm aiming for stupidly high resolution since i also plan on using them for non-game related modelling, but they can be scaled down to resolutions suitable for the game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Art and design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: