the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm7
Players: 4 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o
Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I'll make sure to re-check it this month, but I was kinda dissapointed how slow it was working... but I assure you, even with the old 7800GT both games I mentioned looked and ran better than nexuiz. I'm gonna make a few tests and see if I can put a few screenies here.

My PC might not be the latest but a x2 @ 2.7 GHz, 8800GTS (g92 core like the 9800 not the old g80) 2 GBytes low latency ram, Audigy 2 ZS, segate barracuda 7200.10 and TinyXP can still deliver 60+ fps in Crysis (DX9). [High quality no AA] So pardon me if I think a game based on an engine like that should run with more than 20fps.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jun 02, 2008 11:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Hey, sXe! That troll is bloody cute! How can you not give him some chips?

GrosBedo
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
No one has poor enough hardware to warrant the use of vertexlight anymore (designed for Riva128s, RagePros, and Voodoo1/Banshee)

Then why not make a poll ? Because I think you just don't believe the fact that some people can play this game with very low-end computers (I have a couple of friends in this case and met many OA players who told me their specifications so I don't use this argument for fun...).

Secondly, even if a majority of people can play this game with more than 30 fps, there aren't many who can support 125 FPS consistently without the help of vertex lightning, and, to my mind, this will cause far more disadvantage between players based on their hardware opposed as to an option everyone can use or not.

Thirdly, vertex lighting isn't the Sacred Graal because it lacks some features, like dynamic lightning which can be used in CTF to know where the flag holder is based on the red/blue light it emits.

Your goal is laudable as wanting to make the fairest possible game is a judicious desire, but it seems to me that in this case the best thing to do is to ask his advice to the interested parties: the players.

pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:29 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

but remember! 125fps and strafejumping is cheating!
all lock your framerate to 20fps. it's perfectly fine for fun gaming!

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Well, fps-games ARE about hardware, wheter you like it or not.
At least OA/Q3 are running fine on my comp.. \o/
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

my old geforce2 gts 64mb can score 150fps avg at max on 1024x768 so what's their issue?

JockeTF
Furver Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I play OpenArena with an Intel 945GM integrated graphic accelerator. Intel GMAs are common in new laptops and they work great even though they aren't all that powerful.

I use vertex lightning ONLY to make my framerate higher so that I can play OpenArena in my native resolution. I get around 60 FPS with this machine but if vertex lightning is removed I probably won't be able to play with an acceptable framerate in my native resolution.

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jun 03, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Hey, Jocke, you nailed it there. I would think that there's quite a bunch of people playing OA with laptops with integrated graphics cards. I remember installing it on my girlfriend's one and performance wasn't any good with her integrated Nvidia card (and this under Windows)...

Something else that comes to my head is people with not so bad old cards under linux, like anything from ATI before the r300s. Those cards aren't supported by ATI anymore and they have to rely on the OSS drivers, which don't squeeze them much in 3D tasks. I don't know about the Nvidia ecosystem...

gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
my old geforce2 gts 64mb can score 150fps avg at max on 1024x768 so what's their issue?
I have an Nvidia 6150 se integrated and i average 30-43 on those settings :o
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:13 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

gummi wrote:
dairu wrote:
I have an Nvidia 6150 se integrated and i average 30-43 on those settings :O
nvidia have been known to take a hellofalot of unrealistic steps back in performance for their 'budget' hardware only for more profits. A budget GF2MX could outperform an fx5200 and probably your 6150. 30-43 are more like framerates for a TNT2 Ultra 32mb.

gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 4:16 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

irrelevant post

Last edited by gummi on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:31 am; edited 1 time in total
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I got FUCKING SICK of seeing the number of disconnects in the logs. My American couterpart tells me every couple of days it's beyong belief when he ever hooks a server up. Leilol has killed OpenAren OA. It can only get worse with that kind of mentality, if it hasn't already been destroyed altogether.

I mean what kind of developer says "your system sucks you cant play anymore" - between all the child like tantrums and locking threads .

Last edited by chiquita on Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 6:32 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I can never connect to euro servers. Im on the west coast, aka the other side of the world, maybe if you upped the ping limit more americans could connect. Say around 250-300? :/
gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
gummi wrote:
dairu wrote:
I have an Nvidia 6150 se integrated and i average 30-43 on those settings :O
nvidia have been known to take a hellofalot of unrealistic steps back in performance for their 'budget' hardware only for more profits. A budget GF2MX could outperform an fx5200 and probably your 6150. 30-43 are more like framerates for a TNT2 Ultra 32mb.

I exaggerated that was with vista like 3 months ago. Now i get 125, but not on the highest settings. I only get 30-43 when i max out everything at 1440by900 resolution, and picmip -1. The 125 fps is at normal settings with 640by480 res, and a few amd64 tweaks... which sucks because everything looks pixelated full screen.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: