the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: rq3dm4
Players: 3 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod
RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:31 pm    Post subject: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

I call this mod airways, because you, instantly, get a unlimited rockets+quad+suit.

The Rockets are instant kill and have no splash damage.

The gameplay is like that you fly around all the time and shoot rockets to fly and shoot other players. Indirect hits cause you to fly even more.

The height of jumps and strength of impacts is changed with the g_quadfactor cvar.

servers.sytes.net/serv..._228_27966

Feedback is welcome :D

Last edited by jackthompson on Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

n1 practice air hits with rl like qw pros do always ;P

Derity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

i love it :)
but it isnt instant hit, it is instant kill on hit :)
suggestion: remove the other weapon entities etc, which are not needed in this mod.

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

If CorkScrew wasn't SDK 1.27 based (old!) one could take it and move all changes from Rails to Rockets...

That way one could train air-rockets and have accuracy stats too...

I'll remove the quad and suit entities from the spawn list... since they're always on now...
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

I love it too.. although I am so crap at it :D It might be worth putting a banner text message to note there is no splash damage. I only noticed that after reading this.

Probably the best training mod for using rockets so time will tell :) I took a beating and only got 2 points so I know i'm just a noob.. rocket jumps are nice without damage and the instant hit makes it more challenging.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

i get angry when playing this mod on spacemaps, becaus I always get thrown into the pit by others indirect hits :eh:

but still great fun! reminds me of the rocket-arena mod on q3 (which I also never managed to play well) :)

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:32 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

Jack, is the old mid-air rocket mod by firestarter?
If it is, then it's configurable to change scoring system for distanced mid-air rockets and you don't need quad to launch them in to the air when hit.

If you remember, that was the mod I ran last autumn for a short period of time.

Off-topic: Don't watch the movie The Djarleen Limited or whatever it's called, that must be the worst movie of this century even though IMDB rating is 8.5/10.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

My wishes come true, finaly!

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

Airways is the revolution of evolution! I wasent laughing that hard in oa in months! I love it!

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

Played it and had good fun, but I have the feeling that it can't last much. You know, like when you have a new toy you burn till death for the first week and then you completely forget about it...although I may be wrong.

For sure, this needs a good thought about the right maps to play it. So far I played it in Dantesca, Danger City and Hands of God, I think. We were only three, so in Danger City we were basically playing in the Quad Street (hey, I wish I lived there!). Dantesca is a damn good map and there were more of us, so it was good fun. But possibly the best of them was Hands of God, small and amenable to do some small jump tricks. Perhaps that would be the way to go, small maps with loads of jumping platforms and places to do some tricking. I bet defrag psychos would love it. I could try to do some map, but I'm not having much time really. I'm thinking in something vertical where, instead of into the void, you could fall into a big mass of water (and eat rockets). What about some flying entity? And Quads to jump higher?

Quote::
Off-topic: Don't watch the movie The Djarleen Limited or whatever it's called, that must be the worst movie of this century even though IMDB rating is 8.5/10.

I'm watching it today...

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

Way to go off-topic :D. Anyways i had a simmilar idea a while ago as airways. My i dea was to make a training with bots kida thing. Lets say a big clown cannon inside a dome or something that spits out bots that you have to shoot in mid-air with a RL (something like those dudes do when shootig clay pidgens). The cannon would ofc have to change direction and angle every time so that it wouldt be to easy. Could be nice for training.

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

hmmm... most people have a hard time hitting something without splash damage...

instead of removing splash damage one could remove self-damage... or make it optional using a new cvar...

and how about having a mod with all instant-hit weapons removed... and with splash (or self) damage removed from the remaining weapons?

that would mean to be able to do grenade-, rocketjumps and plasma climbs all the time...

but right now.. with this preview version... 10 frags take awful long and some people start to shoot just around and disconnect then...
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 3:54 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

W1ZrD wrote:
Jack, is the old mid-air rocket mod by firestarter?
If it is, then it's configurable to change scoring system for distanced mid-air rockets and you don't need quad to launch them in to the air when hit.

If you remember, that was the mod I ran last autumn for a short period of time.

I'll check it out...

is the source available??

...actually I use g_quadfactor right now to set the height of rocketjumps... it's set to "1.0"...
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

hmmm... most people have a hard time hitting something without splash damage...

Uhm...when I played yesterday it wasn't that bad. But I was with a couple of OA card holders as Snoo and Derity. I see what you mean. Perhaps some splash damage is desirable, but reducing it a lot, so you still really want to get a direct hit.

i had a simmilar idea a while ago as airways. My i dea was to make a training with bots kida thing. Lets say a big clown cannon inside a dome or something that spits out bots that you have to shoot in mid-air with a RL (something like those dudes do when shootig clay pidgens) [...]

I can think of a dirty way of having something like that. Let's say we make a map with several spawn points in the middle of nowhere at certain hight, right on top of some platform with many jump pads targeted at many directions. If we give bots a rail and set their ability to the maximum it's either you or them before they get to the floor. Perhaps the map could have a big lava lake in the middle so bots would always fall there after having their chance to rail players, which would be at the edges of the lava. I'm not sure whether we can have separate spawn points for bots and players. If we can't we would have to think some workaround, like putting some platforms where players could land--bots are somewhat stupid when it comes to manouver on the air. Actually this looks cool even for players only. :D

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: RN|AIRWAYS - preview of a new mod Reply with quote

Of course people have problems hitting things without splash-damage, they have practiced with rail (instant hit) and rocket splash-damage (because they are lazy). Mid-air rockets is an artform, you know when you start nailing them in the air with correct timing, gives a better feeling than sex...well, almost.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: