the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: bal3dm4
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › Getting and editing screen video
Getting and editing screen video
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Marvin

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:46 am    Post subject: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

Ta-da! My first defrag "hello-world" video:

Now I know how to do it, I may make something better :) This is just random demo. Players you see are peace and No0b2. Thanks to them and to #rainbow for tips.

Ok, this here sums up what I learnt about the recording. I post the list of instructions of how to "record" an .AVI file because I had to read and ask on several places in order to do it. Also, some questions later...

1. Record some demo in defrag. You do this by entering command /record file_name. Command /stoprecord will stop the recording.

2. Go to Defrag mode and in demo selection choose demo you would like to watch/record. After the demo starts enter the following command /video file_name. Command /stopvideo stops the recording. Note: OA may report s_useOpenAL error. If this is the cace enter the command: /s_useOpenAL "0" and try again.

3. This part applies to Windows XP: In order to find your videos, you have to navigate to C:\Documents and Settings\USERNAME\Application Data\OpenArena\defrag\videos. Username is your Windows log-in name.

Note: You can easily manipulate the demo camera by installing set of scripts (more on this here). As far as I have seen, this handy script is just a tip of the iceberg when talking about camera...

Now, I have a big problem. Sony Vegas does not recognize raw AVI from OA. Untill I uninstalled (manually) Panasonic DV codec, the video was not recognized in any player, but not the issue is just Vegas. Any ideas?

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

Sweet vid! Realy nice for your first one. I use avidemux for quick recompressing or re-encoding of avi files. (works on lin and win)

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

You can also do
Code::
/demo my_awesome_tricks ; video
in the console while at the menu to start recording right after the demo loads. By default OA outputs video in MJPEG format, you can use uncompressed video by setting cl_aviMotionJpeg to 0 but remember this will use up a LOT more hard drive space. Also if the target for your video is YouTube or some other streaming video website you might want to turn the resolution down a bit to save hard drive space when recording and editing.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

this isn't something i really understand, but am i right in thinking that you record a demo and then use that to create an avi file? if so, can you make the avi with different resolutions?
TimeStar

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

hyp3rfocus wrote:
this isn't something i really understand, but am i right in thinking that you record a demo and then use that to create an avi file? if so, can you make the avi with different resolutions?

Just change your in-game resolution using the settings menu or the r_mode cvar (there should be a list of which r_modes mean which resolutions somewhere on the internet). Once you have done that either "Apply" the changes or run vid_restart then you can play back the demo and record the AVI.

I'm going to go and write a guide on the wiki about how to do this stuff.

Edit: Done! furver.no-ip.org/rainb...t_of_demos
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

In windows it is also very useful to use fraps to record everything. Fraps also has almost no compression, hence uses up loads of space. But its not a problem to use avidemux to recompress the bugger. Thats what i used to make this! :D

But i hate what youtube does to vids! :/

Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:37 am    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

First you have the .dm_68 file which you can use (only in ioquake3) together with /video in order to create a .avi file from it.

In linux you can use mencoder to compress it to rather decent quality but if you are looking for good solutions on Windows then you should have a look at qmm3 and possible xvid encoders to get good results. Uploading on youtube does indeed suck bigtime as it compressed it beyond repair...

Snoo, do you still have that .dm68 of the above trick? I've lost my copy and all evidence that I ever made that trick..

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 1:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

W1ZrD wrote:
Snoo, do you still have that .dm68 of the above trick? I've lost my copy and all evidence that I ever made that trick..

Ill check, but i honestly dont know.

I also used xvid to encode the avi in avidemux.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

Well, I have solved bunch of techincal issues, amongst them how to capture on another drive, and how to remove HUD (/cg_draw2D "0"). Thanks to TimeStar for the tips.

My biggest problem was MJPEG format which is unusable for video editing, so the easiest solution is to convert it to some better format (I chose MPEG2).

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

Use /cg_drawgun 0 + cg_draw2d 0 if you want 'clear' first person shots.
You can bind buttons for timescaling if you want slow-motion sets and you can do free-view looks from within the menues (if you use DeFRaG)

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 10:48 am    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

JACK
in your tutorial, it has to be snd_restart instead of s_restart!

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Getting and editing screen video Reply with quote

Good job on that one, marvin!

You can also find config's around, that will set highest graphic quality, when playing back the demo before turning it into an .avi on some websites.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: