the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3tourney3
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Defrag tricks & tutorials › Strafejumping
Strafejumping
New to Defrag? Pro? Super Pro? Super Defrag Movie Pro? come here... :D
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexDefrag tricks & tutorials
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:10 pm    Post subject: Strafejumping Reply with quote

Here is a really nice set of jumps in Q3 from Chiquita at her best.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.

Last edited by W1ZrD on Wed Oct 31, 2007 9:01 am; edited 1 time in total
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 6:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Strafe-jumping Reply with quote

More jumps coming from the Q3 scene, performed in VQ3 and on cos1_beta7a.

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:27 am    Post subject: Re: Strafe-jumping Reply with quote

This is considered to be the most fundamental technique in trickjumping and there are various forms to perform it:

• Single-beat strafe-jumping - The most common. Run forward, jump off the ground, in addition to the forward-key immediately press and hold one of the strafe-keys, and also move the mouse towards the same direction as the initiated sideways movement. Very shortly before hitting the ground again, hit jump again (to avoid friction) and immediately strafe and look into the other direction. By repeating this sequence, acceleration can be increased. But with gaining velocity, the angle of the mouselook has not only to be adjusted, but has also to be ever more precise, which makes strafe-jumping a precise artform.
  • Single-beat strafe-jumping with airchange - Essentially the same as single-beat strafe-jumping with the difference that the direction of the sideways movement and of the mouselook is turned to the opposite side in the middle of the second jump after takeoff instead of immediately turning after the first jump. After those first two jumps, the players usually do not apply this technique anymore.
  • Double-beat strafe-jumping - Essentially the same as single-beat strafe-jumping with the difference that the direction of the sideways movement and of the mouselook is turned to the opposite side not every, but only every second jump.
  • Half-beat strafe-jumping - Since acceleration only depends on the vectors of input, there are alternate ways to strafe-jump. The basic idea of half-beat is to reduce the mouse movement by starting with a normal strafe-jump and then continue by only pressing the sideway movement key of the other direction. The vector (and thus the place where to point the mouse) is very close to the vector of the first normal strafe-jump. Hence the name half-beat.
  • Inverted strafe-jumping - Inverted strafe-jumping is, since all strafing techniques are one kin, just another way to use the acceleration vectors. The idea is to only use the sideways movement keys, which will result in the exactly inverted movement of normal single-beat strafe-jumping.
  • Circle-jumping - Based on the same principles as strafe-jumping, Circle-jumping more often than not, is used as the starting technique for a strafe-jumping run. The player starts by facing at an angle of 90° to the direction she/he intends to go. Then she/he starts going forward, adds sideways movement into the intended direction, and simultaneously turns the mouselook into the same direction. When facing into the intended direction she/he hits the jump button, keeps pressing forward and strafe, and goes on turning the mouselook. When flawlessly executed speeds of more than 500 ups can be achieved in a single first jump.

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 3:13 am    Post subject: w3sp - cos1_beta7b - Ultimate strafepads Reply with quote

Here is a demo from one of the best Q3 jumpers in the world which I managed to get my hands on.The w3sp is known for the amazing jumps and speed, not to mention the weird styles :) Not many people do strafes quite as well as w3sp.

To view this demo (which you must) you download the w3sp_cos1_beta7b_ultimatestrafepads.dm_68 file, put it in your Defrag's demo folder. It is in ../openarena/defrag/demos or on linux it might be a hidden dir. Once that demo is in place, then you need the cos1_beta7b map (many of you already has it). The map goes in your /baseoa dir.
Then I would recommend that you type /timescale 0.5 followed by /demo w3sp_cos1_beta7b_ultimatestrafepads.dm_68. This will now play back the demo in half it's normal speed. Remember: don't press anything while the demo is playing, just sit back, watch the show and prepare to be pwned!

w3sp_cos1_beta7b_ultimatestrafepads.dm_68
 Description:
 Filename:  w3sp_cos1_beta7b_ultimatestrafepads.dm_68
 Filesize:  704.92 KB
 Downloaded:  206 Time(s)

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: w3sp - cos1_beta7b - Ultimate strafepads Reply with quote

For windows users C:\Documenats and Setting\"user"\Aplication Data\OpenArena\Defrag\demos. If the folder demos does not exist, well, just make it!
digitalhead

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2007 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Strafe-jumping Reply with quote

I was able to figure out the circle-jump and I can get one or two strafe-jumps, but I can't keep it going because I usually end up losing coordination. Any suggestions for a key config to make the coordination a little easier?

DH

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:35 am    Post subject: Re: Strafe-jumping Reply with quote

digitalhead wrote:
I was able to figure out the circle-jump and I can get one or two strafe-jumps, but I can't keep it going because I usually end up losing coordination. Any suggestions for a key config to make the coordination a little easier?

DH
It is the coordination that takes time and practice, but you will get it, I am sure. It is possible to script so you get perfect CJ's and flawless jumps along all the pads on any level, but that will only harm yourself since you won't be learning how to jump if you script.

A nice little tool that you can use while practicing the jumps is Camping Gaz's HUD. To activate this nifty little tool, bring down the console and type:
Code::
/df_hud_cgaz 1
Now you have small bars that indicate at what angles you need to aim for.
I will record a demo on how to do the jumps, I'll post it here in a few moments and hopefully that will clear it out even better..

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Re: Strafe-jumping Reply with quote

Here is are two demos I recorded on opc1. The first one shows a normal strafebeat and the second one shows an alternate start with airswitch. To play the demo you need the map opc1 and put the demos in your /defrag/demos folder. Then you simply type:
Code::
/demo opc1_tutorial_normal or /demo opc1_tutorial_switch

What you can do is to type /timescale 0.5 in the console before you play it, that way you see it in half speed. Use /df_hud_cgaz 1 and /df_chs0_draw 1 to guide you further.

opc1_tutorial_switch.dm_68
 Description:
 Filename:  opc1_tutorial_switch.dm_68
 Filesize:  26.35 KB
 Downloaded:  165 Time(s)

opc1_tutorial_normal.dm_68
 Description:
 Filename:  opc1_tutorial_normal.dm_68
 Filesize:  25.92 KB
 Downloaded:  148 Time(s)

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Sep 21, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Strafejumping Reply with quote

How to do it in theory, praxis and wishful thinking..

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Strafejumping Reply with quote

The w3sp one is also on google video
video.google.co.uk/vid...3357864028

The first circle on on the easier pads isn't that important, i'm not that good at it. If you just try and move the mouse fast (I start doing this from the second pad) at the point where you land and try to get the angle about 30 degrees. DDon't increase your sens too high to reach the angle with less movement as it's more difficult to get consistant angles.

Moving mouse slow in between pads also helps gain speed but the best practice is just to learn the angle on each side.

I done this demo to show someone how i learned sideways and also shows how I start, which might not be the best way but works for me on most strafe pads. The second one is one i done a while ago and some of the jumps are played in a lower time scale to make it easier to see..
video.google.co.uk/vid...1529243203
video.google.co.uk/vid...4758411286

this is also a really nice training vid for cpm... :-)
video.google.co.uk/vid...0153341227
cypiou69

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Strafejumping Reply with quote

chiquite you're very good at strafe

W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 9:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Strafejumping Reply with quote

Here is a demo from yotoon jumping last nightmare on xcm_tricks2. Thank's yotoon for letting us post it.

yotoon_xcm_tricks2.dm_68
 Description:
 Filename:  yotoon_xcm_tricks2.dm_68
 Filesize:  37.31 KB
 Downloaded:  173 Time(s)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Defrag tricks & tutorials All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: