the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm16
Players: 6 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Art and design › Higher Res Powerup Icons
Higher Res Powerup Icons
3d, Photoshop, GIMP or pen & paper, this is where you find it all.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexArt and design
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 12:08 am    Post subject: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

It's that time again. No, not that time. The other, OTHER, time. Sick freaked people.

I have already started working on the icons for the Powerups (Health, Teleport, Quad, Megahealth, Flight, Haste, Flags). Two of them are already done: Battle Suit and Teleporter.

There's a major issue with the Battle Suit icon, if some of you can point that out, that I cannot fix. I am serious about this one, unlike the BFG and Grenade icons. I was forced to use a Raster layer mask for the inner circle to get the look required. Unfortunately, I don't think I can find a way around this as photoshop doesn't allow vectors inside of the layer mask. I tried doing some vector work on the inner circle but failed miserably.

I am requesting everyone to help create new flag icons, as I think the currently existing ones suck. I don't have any ideas for it. In my opinion, I just find them hard to look at from time to time and they look bland for some reason. The other icons look fine, but the flag icon just doesn't stand out like the others do.

Enjoy these nicely given treats. They'll be colored as soon as the majority of them are finished. In the mean time, you'll get the black versions for the time being. No, you still can't murder me and sell my body to the highest bidder.

PSDs are included in the mean time for those who want to fuck around some and add subliminal crap. Because these are work in progress, the license information is being left out until the end. Speak about this and I'll ask an admin or moderator to remove your post. Unless it is highly intelligent, which is high unlikely.

teleporter.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  teleporter.zip
 Filesize:  99.57 KB
 Downloaded:  149 Time(s)

envirosuit.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  envirosuit.zip
 Filesize:  166.37 KB
 Downloaded:  178 Time(s)
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2007 6:55 am    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

There are six icon updates. Two of them which required no skill at all and only needed a resizing but I vectorized them anyway. I redid the armor shard, which was also easy, so it looks a whole lot better and more symmetrical than before.

PSDs are included in this post. They had to be seperated into two different zips to get them posted.

shard_regen_medit_noammo.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  shard_regen_medit_noammo.zip
 Filesize:  77 KB
 Downloaded:  157 Time(s)

mega_regular_health.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  mega_regular_health.zip
 Filesize:  193.5 KB
 Downloaded:  154 Time(s)
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 12:13 am    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

There are two more icons for more orgasm goodness. The Yellow and Red Armor icons.

The Yellow Armor took quite a bit to get the look right. I have a lot of people to thank for helping me out. Rashdawg in particular for sending me his design modifications that just kicked ass. So props goes out to Rashdawg for being the helper in this situation.

These icons were made by taking a screenshot of the models and using them that way. Other modifications were made to accommodate for a more singular color armor look.

The PSDs of the vectors are only included in this post. If you want the PSDs with the pictures and everything else, you'll have to see me in the IRC channel.

armor-yellow6_vector.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  armor-yellow6_vector.zip
 Filesize:  37.03 KB
 Downloaded:  155 Time(s)

armor-red2_vector.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  armor-red2_vector.zip
 Filesize:  42.65 KB
 Downloaded:  161 Time(s)
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

I really like the look of the top one, now it finally looks like an armour :)

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:10 am    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

Seems to me you nailed the last yellow. Like it!

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

Oh yeah sweetness AD used my design :) I had a good idea didnt I.

FPS Doug
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

Allegedly, I have attached three screenshots of a weird effect I get with some icons.

AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

I think that might have to do with the engine not able to render the icons at that resolution without problems occurring. It might not be fixable unless someone else has an idea about this.

Other than that, some of the icons don't intersect each other. I doubt this is much of an issue seeing how most maps have their weapons, ammo, and powerups separated

Ok, just at this moment, I took a look. The low-res icons, the default ones, have the same issue. So it isn't just my icons, it's also the low-res ones as well. Like I said before, I think this might be an engine bug or something. It isn't going to be an issue with most maps so don't worry about it. If it gets to the point where it's bugging you that much, you might want to drop a line at the guys over on OpenArena.
AllegedlyDead
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 10:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Higher Res Powerup Icons Reply with quote

Ok, I've lost almost all motivation to continue the icons. If someone wants to pick up what I started, feel free. There are a lot to do that I recently discovered. Here's a list of what needs to be done for those who want to continue. If you decide to continue, please try and make them as close to the original as possible.

pak0\icons\iconf_blu1.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_blu2.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_blu3.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_blu.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_red1.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_red2.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_red3.tga
pak0\icons\iconf_red.tga
pak0\icons\iconw_grapple.tga
pak7-patch\icons\flight.tga
pak7-patch\icons\haste.tga
pak7-patch\icons\invis.tga
pak7-patch\icons\quad.tga

The medal awards are being listed here because a whole new thread is unnecessary for them at this point.
pak0\menu\medals\medal_accuracy.tga
pak0\menu\medals\medal_assist.tga
pak0\menu\medals\medal_capture.tga
pak0\menu\medals\medal_defend.tga
pak0\menu\medals\medal_excellent.tga
pak0\menu\medals\medal_gauntlet.tga
pak0\menu\medals\medal_impressive.tga
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Art and design All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: