the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: unitooldm4
Players: 2 / 24
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › q3 map - slopes
q3 map - slopes
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 12:44 am    Post subject: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

Another simple map. I got the impression that 45 degree slopes where the maximum steepness that quake3 players can walk up(edit) so I built a little map full of slopes to test this out. Turns out I was right in quake3 and urban terror 45 degrees is the maximum.

Also I made myself some simple textures in Inkscape that I'm quite pleased with. Take a close look at the gray textures. :grin:

slopes.pk3

Last edited by hyp3rfocus on Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:02 pm; edited 2 times in total
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

What do you mean by 'the maximum steepness that Q3 can handle'? It doesn't compile, explodes or something? Or you mean the maximum steepness that players can walk through? If the latter, the trick is to make tiny stairs out of caulk...but I guess it's not what you meant.

Ah, hyper, it would be nice if you included some snapshots of your creations when you post them, in the name of all those lazy persons who find it a pain to download maps and open them in OA (like me!). Think about it, if there is only one more forum member who is at least as lazy as I am, the amount of total work the universe has to endure is far less if only YOU are the one doing it. Believe me, I'd love to tell you how wonderful your Inkscape textures look like, but I'm terribly busy writing this instead of actually seeing them!

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

Yeah, I didn't phrase that very well. I should have said the maximum steepness that a quake3 player can walk up.

Ok, I'll stick some screenshots in the first post and make sure I continue to do so in future. :P
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 21, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

you can try to side-strafe up a ramp (only use one side-strafe key, and you will "slide" up the ramp)
at least in cpm it works, but its very slow. =)

I guess this is a kind of bug? dunno.

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

I don't think it's a bug. At some point they had to make a decision and they chose 45 degrees for the maxium slope a player could walk through. I guess they could've implemented some more realistic behaviour like a velocity decrease or so, but Q3 is not about realism, is it? As I said, mappers can overcome this limit by putting small invisible stairs in the ramp.

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2009 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

slopes_002.pk3

I tried your suggestion of very shallow steps and it's pretty good. I did a bit of experimenting and the maximum step height is 18 units and the minimum step depth is 0.25 units. I made an example of this in this map.

I'm also trying to get urban terror's surfaceparm ladder working with shaders, but no luck just yet.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:26 am    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

Ok, I've deleted the slopes and now there are two climbable blocks.

Download slopes_004.pk3

The block on the left uses kernel_panic's suggestion of using very shallow steps. I've made some that are 18 units high (apparently the maximum step height) and 0.25 units deep (any shallower than that and they stopped working). It works perfectly, but you zoom up at an incredible speed and you can't climb back down.

The block on the right has a model of a ladder and an invisible, non-solid brush with a shader that specifies surfaceparm ladder, which is climbable in urban terror. I wasn't very familiar with using shaders, but I figured it out in the end and got it working.

I'd really like to see the ability to climb ladders added to the ioquake3 engine. I think it's a really useful feature.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 1:50 am    Post subject: Re: q3 map - slopes Reply with quote

I've asked for someone to add ladder type climbing here.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: