the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm7
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Redo OA?
Redo OA?
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

You mean the folder name? I couldn't even find it :) I wasn't sure where to look for it so I ended up just manually configuring the keys and had a quick mess around.

Like I said earlier.. the applications folder isnt so easy to find as it's appended numbers to folders when I reinstalled.

Another thing I like about the single folder location is you can basically zip it up and have all the maps, mods, config in one folder so it becomes more portable. Again, linux users opinions may differ because the same file structure for things like that have always remained the same
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Allrite, played a bit through. This is what I noticed, one gib is missing it's texture. Also, when gibs first start flying around you can notice that colourless gib making a tear-like effect when youre close to the model esplodin. Couldnt catch that moment, but I made a screenshot of the gib on the floor.

gib.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  110.29 KB
 Viewed:  7495 Time(s)

gib.jpg

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
I cant imagine a queue of people waiting to get on a machine to play the same game.

Having a multiuser environment doesn't strictly mean having a queue of user waiting to play the same game ... in a true multiuser environment u can create a user with restricted access priviledge and running all the programs u want in a relatively more secure environment ( unless a bug in the operating system would permit scaling priviledges and running a program as administrator while launched as a normal user )
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Yeah I know that but in windows it contains tons of folders I would never have the need to access... I would never have to go in there, but ioq3 based games are the exception. - the fact it's hidden and unusual for windows users to access is a point considering that it might not be particuarly helpful for this game. Just a point.

I also checked my map stuff and items are inconsistent where things get downloaded. If you are a linux/unix user then you probably wouldnt really understand the frustration.
PerleQ3Rally

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Nice work. Q3Rally runs well with this.

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Quote::
chiquita wrote:
I cant imagine a queue of people waiting to get on a machine to play the same game.

Having a multiuser environment doesn't strictly mean having a queue of user waiting to play the same game ... in a true multiuser environment u can create a user with restricted access priviledge and running all the programs u want in a relatively more secure environment

Yeah...so what? How does that justify the inconvenience of having the game data separated in two different locations? Because we're not talking about the typical ~/.config.rc file, but about a hidden folder that grows bigger than the game itself throughout time. I take it that in your multiuser environment you run the game off the regular user account, so there's absolutely no need to have per-user settings. Actually, this causes braindead situations like the ones I experienced with QL, which forces you to install it with administrative privileges; after installation I had to copy all the crap from the administrative account to the normal one.

As I said, this is definitely worse in Windows, with such a confusing filesystem structure. But it's not like in linux everything is OK just because is the way we're used to. Having all those hidden files cluttering my home directory really pisses me off when, say, I have to open a file with a GUI program and I have to scroll down tons of rubbish to find it. The end result is that no matter how neat and tidy I organise my folders I can't avoid having to go through lines of rubbish I shouldn't have to care about. Was it that difficult to put all that under a hidden _directory_ instead?

Megagun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 12:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Just hopping in again...
Recently a nice soundpack for Sauerbraten has turned up on the internet...
www.megaupload.com/?d=99DEOMR1
Thread where further updates to this are likely posted: www.cubeengine.com/for...ad_id=2164

There's probably some nice stuff in there. I like the ammo/health/armor pickup and jump/jumppad sounds a lot, myself. Keep in mind that this isn't GPL.

Regarding the folders issue: keeping everything under the base folder (at least in Windows) is probably best.

Regarding playermodels: I'd suggest sticking with a single one to keep things simple, small and clear.

Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Megagun wrote:
Just hopping in again...
Recently a nice soundpack for Sauerbraten has turned up on the internet...
www.megaupload.com/?d=99DEOMR1
Thread where further updates to this are likely posted: www.cubeengine.com/for...ad_id=2164

There's probably some nice stuff in there. I like the ammo/health/armor pickup and jump/jumppad sounds a lot, myself. Keep in mind that this isn't GPL.

Thanks for the tip. However, if it's not GPL then we cannot put it together in the same game pack with all the other GPLed stuff. Anyway, chiquita has already supplied free replacement sounds, they are great.

Regarding the folders issue: keeping everything under the base folder (at least in Windows) is probably best.

In the latest version it is already done, i.e. using a single location is the default, and multiuser setting (separate folder) is a selectable option for anyone who really wishes that. Only for Windows, Linux behavior is the same as before.

Regarding playermodels: I'd suggest sticking with a single one to keep things simple, small and clear.

Well, it is a bit complicated by the fact that 'Sarge' appears to be a hard coded default model. And even if we change this in our engine, independently made older mods will always demand Sarge and refuse to run if not present.

In the latest version we have only Sarge, Beret, Grism, Major and Skelebot. IMO these are reasonable models. We can reduce the set to just Sarge and Grism if desirable (although I don't see a real reason for this, and players like a little variation).

Speaker

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:

Yeah...so what? How does that justify the inconvenience of having the game data separated in two different locations?

Maybe because u can obtain always a clean installation while wiping the user dir instead of the WHOLE install dir ?

kernel_panic wrote:

Actually, this causes braindead situations like the ones I experienced with QL, which forces you to install it with administrative privileges; after installation I had to copy all the crap from the administrative account to the normal one.

This is not a issue ... this is a DEFECT , but none seems to treat that as a defect.

kernel_panic wrote:

As I said, this is definitely worse in Windows, with such a confusing filesystem structure. But it's not like in linux everything is OK just because is the way we're used to.
Having all those hidden files cluttering my home directory really pisses me off when, say, I have to open a file with a GUI program and I have to scroll down tons of rubbish to find it. The end result is that no matter how neat and tidy I organise my folders I can't avoid having to go through lines of rubbish I shouldn't have to care about. Was it that difficult to put all that under a hidden _directory_ instead?

Why don't u get a Mac ? U will have a certified UNIX system and all your config files under a single dir :D

And things are already a bit different in Vista and they will be a bit more different on W7.

BTW , in linux the only program that still need administrator/root priviledges to run is X.

The forthcoming kernel version ( 2.6.31 ) will introduce a new features : KMS ( Kernel Mode Setting ) for quite all the video cards and the respectively X driver will be interfaced with it ( Intel -> trhough its OSS driver , ATI -> through the freedesktop.org OSS driver , NVIDIA -> through the Nouveau driver ) .

This implies that resolutions management and screen administration will be done directly by the kernel for both framebuffer and direct rendering ... and X will be confined to only manage windows system while running under its own user as a userspace daemon. But this will imply also that X could be killed for ever and windows management could be done directly through graphic frameworks ( QT? GTK ? ... ?? )

Are u ready for this ? XD
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:

Yeah...so what? How does that justify the inconvenience of having the game data separated in two different locations? Because we're not talking about the typical ~/.config.rc file

And another scenario is that if the game itself was PEREFECT.. then everything would be in the ui. But it's not, therefore regular changes of configs justifies the convenience of being able to edit the functions (which many people may not be aware of) in the game folder.

Anyway, nothing much has changed and benefits most users so pointless discussing it. Nothing to do with going backwards, comments like that just attracts needless discussion :) I guess it can be changed if need be to suit anyway... so...
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Is noone interested in the textureless liver? o.O

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

SnooSnoo wrote:

:) I cant actually remember seeing any gib textures.. or maybe they are part of the mapobjects textures and I haven't got to them yet. I suspect one of jacks plain textures may be covering the real liver. eww I think I'll be leaving the gibs alone but i'm sure it'll be sorted... or maybe it's intentional, fried liver?
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Falkland wrote:

This is not a issue ... this is a DEFECT , but none seems to treat that as a defect.

Falkland, just relax.. I think going too in-depth about the politics of how things should be will just cause more frustration :) I also have broken keyboard... lots of em :ops:
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Ahhh...nothing like the smell of a flame in the morning.

kernel_panic wrote:
Yeah...so what? How does that justify the inconvenience of having the game data separated in two different locations?

Maybe because u can obtain always a clean installation while wiping the user dir instead of the WHOLE install dir ?

The game most likely sits in the home directory anyway, so it doesn't get wiped out between installs. To put the game in another location _you_ actually have to log in as root to write where you shouldn't. And I don't know about you, but I don't install another OS and/or wipe my HD since...well, since I installed Debian 2 years ago. However, during that time I had to sort out the ~/.oabase directory countless times, struggled to get the right settings with Gtkradiant and even had to write a stupid launch script to avoid overwriting the settings between versions. Thankyouverymuch.

It is, and also one of the reasons I didn't bother with QL beyond testing it a couple of times. I mean, WTF? This is 2009 and people is still coding shit that needs administrative rights to run properly.

Why don't u get a Mac ? U will have a certified UNIX system and all your config files under a single dir :D

Heh, I don't know how you sensed it, but I AM considering to get a Mac.

Blabla, X blabla

It's been 3 years already hearing how things will improve in this respect--i.e., the total time I've been using linux. My card is 5 years old and it works suboptimally--so much so that I installed XP solely to play OA. My laptop's life is approaching its end. Excuse me if I don't hold my breath about anything in this front.

PS. Ti voglio bene!

Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

SnooSnoo wrote:

Have not had the time to do anything about it. BTW, it is probably as chiquita says: a stale texture remaining from Jack's old package. Will not be easy to find. Please, be patient. :)

Speaker

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: