the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm18
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › How to stop serious DDOS
How to stop serious DDOS
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

Yea, I think they give a general worse case scenario for an infected website. But in my case, it looks like someone has found a specific use for infected websites.

I'll pm my logging events.. if iptables or the hosts.deny thing where I can dump a list of IP's, i can easily idendify them
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:12 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
Yea, I think they give a general worse case scenario for an infected website. But in my case, it looks like someone has found a specific use for infected websites.

I'll pm my logging events.. if iptables or the hosts.deny thing where I can dump a list of IP's, i can easily idendify them

EDIT : I misunderstood ... your credentials were not compromised , so read the following as an exercise of good practice.

The " last " command shows the loggin events : they appears as in the following template :
Code::

<username> <local/remote console number> <source*> <date> <duration>

* the source is an IP for remote logins or the screen number for local graphical logins ( not your case )

The information is stored in /var/log/wtmp file , but usually, in most linux distributions , is subjected to a periodically cron based log rotation.

In case of ssh , it's better allowing remote access only to normal users and permanently deny root accesses : root access can be still possible with "su" command and/or with "sudo" ...

In Debian root login through ssh are denied by default.

Root login through ssh is denied by default also in FreeBSD but "su" or "sudo" access are denied by default unless the user is not in the wheel group or in the sudoers respectively.

Someone has suggested for first to configure user than can access to ssh , upload the ssh keys and then disable the password based login.

Configuring a vpn or a vpn+ssh based remote access to do all that is needed ( administration , file upload ... ) and disable all the other remote login daemons could be the last ( for now ) better solution.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:48 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

Yea, I checked 'last' it's fine.

I also checked the messages file and spoof root login attempts only happened a couple of times. On another server they appear every 5 mins :D
That site accomodates 50,000+ users though.

The comprimised machines are being used to spam and shit. keyloggers and grabbing full access is probably mentioned because govt. machines etc are being hit. But all the useless sites are probably using resorces to spam and do javascripty things
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

Sorted.. coincidently i got a mail from turkey, i pay a turkish security company 20 usd per month and i get no attacks \:D/
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

turkish security companies are the best!

\:D/
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 6:46 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

they guard your shit in a ford taunus 1600 coupe with machineguns build into the lights... ahahahaaa...
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:31 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

jackthompson wrote:
they guard your shit in a ford taunus 1600 coupe with machineguns build into the lights... ahahahaaa...

It's a Ford TauR(RRR)us :D

But the expertise they have backup in years and years makes me think that the car is a Ford Gran Torino red with lateral white bands ... :D
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2009 9:57 pm    Post subject: Re: How to stop serious DDOS Reply with quote

:D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: