the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm17
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal
Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

What is XreaL?

XreaL will be a non-commercial multiplayer only first person shooter based on a heavily modified Quake 3 Arena engine (id Tech 3). The aim is to push the rendering technology until it can be compared with current commercial titles and then to produce a playable Total Conversion. Quake 3 Arena's gameplay will be only slightly modified. The simpleness of the original game will stay but the game media will be replaced completely with high quality assets that match the new engine's technology.

For an overview of the new features and changes applied to the id Tech 3 check out features.

Also check the screenshots section for latest feature demonstrations.

More information -> xreal.sourceforge.net/xrealwiki

aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

my gfx card will not be able to handle it :blarg:

Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

you might be surprised. you can turn of the realtime lighting with these commands....

r_precomputedLighting 1
r_vertexLighting 1

in theory you might be able to get similar performance to ioquake3.
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 2:30 am    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

i had to close seamonkey to make xreal work... and i have 512mb ram... and then my shit froze... :/
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

the future is incompatibility slow non-free shitfest.

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

Wot a pity that your pc isn't able to run this game as smooth as OA. I rly start to enjoy this Q3 based game looking even better than Q4 on some parts.

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

Quote::
the future is incompatibility slow non-free shitfest.

calm down there, cheapalert. granted only the engine is gpl, but there's nothing to stop gpl content being made for it. true, it's slower than ioquake3, but it is doing more. as for the compatibility, i've heard that it runs on both windows and linux, nvidia and ati now. (haven't had a chance to check that though).
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

Wot a pity that your pc isn't able to run this game as smooth as OA.

Yeah, I bet you've even dropped a couple of tears for him. None from me. I wonder when people will stop using that communist shit and get a legal copy of Windows if they want performance.

:blarg:

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

I wonder when people will stop using that communist shit and get a legal copy of Windows if they want performance.

BLASPHEMER!!!! :argh:
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

[sXe wrote:
"]Wot a pity that your pc isn't able to run this game as smooth as OA.
i fail to understand why pity when you don't even know what my computer is

hyp3rfocus wrote:
[calm down there, cheapalert.
?

hyp3rfocus wrote:
true, it's slower than ioquake3, but it is doing more.
I'd rather not sacrifice support, gameplay, and playability for stupid shadows and bumpmapping. If you call that the future, i call the past, you might as well go play Nexuiz since "good looks" are more important to you than everything else. I guess doing less is 'doing more'!!!

You do realize there's no way XReal can run existing mods not made for it? id tech 3 has strict function traps and such would lead to 1000% (yes i pulled that figure out of my bum so what) incompatibility with everything from the slightest changes.

Yes this is the future all right. Enjoy your obviously greasy looking graphics, i'll stick to playing games kthx

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

you make some good points there, my old friend.

i absolutely agree that graphics are less important than gameplay. the stuff in xreal is fun to play with, but it doesn't necessarily make it a superior game to openarena.

on the subject of compatibility it's a bit more complex. keeping compatibility with quake3 is a double edged sword. i'm a big fan of openarena and i think it's great that it keeps the old mods alive, but this comes at a price. i've seen so many ideas suggested on the forums getting dismissed because they would break compatibility. xreal might not work with the old mods, but at least it's free to evolve.

also, while the old mods can be great, the fact remains that they are mainly closed source and it does seem a bit sad to me that an open sourced project should be crippled to accommodate archaic, closed source chunks of code. i've long suggested that quake3 compatibility be discarded and that if people want to play the old mods badly enough they should code up new (preferably gpl) versions.

so, truth be told, my interest in xreal has barely anything to do with the "greasy looking graphics" and is mainly due to the fact that it's free from restrictions.
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
[sXe wrote:
"]Wot a pity that your pc isn't able to run this game as smooth as OA.
i fail to understand why pity when you don't even know what my computer is

He was referencing to my post.

My opinion about the non-GPL stuff is as follows (if someone cares to read it :D):

There is already one project that is 100% GPL and in the most major distributions... It's Open Arena.

If another project (e.g. Xreal) goes and creates a list with every single sound, image, model, map plus the name of author and the license that author did choose... and if that's ok... legally... I'd like to see them release torrents(!) of DVD's(!) with ALL(!) the GIGABYTES(!) of content ever created for id Tech 3. Or something similar...

One is for the people who install only stuff that is included in their distribution... the other is for people who are not too afraid of the internet to download from somewhere and who wan't a overdose of 7-8 years worth of custom content.

There is no competition. There is no reason to look down on each other.

There are those who wan't only stuff that's GPL because it's GPL.

And there are those who just want everything and who don't care about GPL as long as if it is possible to combine different Licenses in one release the way e.g. Xreal does.
kit89

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

I like Xreal, nice graphics & runs better than Quake 4 for me.

On a side note with Xreal being developed it will encourage indie developers to use Open Source & possible create a more varied & wide selection of games. Which is always a bonus. :)

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:38 am    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

OpenArena: An effort to create a GPL-ed baseq3 replacement for Quake 3 Arena. Unfortunately, all of the art assets, maps and media are truly awful on a whole other level than any of the above games. And the guy who makes it is creepy beyond belief and purposefully cripples his game to make it tournament unfriendly. Avoid. More options 29 Apr, 14:20

That one is called Excessive Plus. How can people stand that mess is beyond me

Well I get two bits of info. I am a simpleton but I cannot disagree with the above, but that only applies to the baseoa.

There's tons of stuff coming out now, some of it is disturbing... I hope Jack T doesnt discover it soon :(

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: Open Arena was yesterday the future is Xreal Reply with quote

on the subject of compatibility it's a bit more complex. keeping compatibility with quake3 is a double edged sword. i'm a big fan of openarena and i think it's great that it keeps the old mods alive, but this comes at a price. i've seen so many ideas suggested on the forums getting dismissed because they would break compatibility. xreal might not work with the old mods, but at least it's free to evolve.

good points, worth another quote :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: