RN|VQ3 DEFRAG
Map: si
Players: 0 / 18

+++eXy FFA
Map: nodm13
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › 3 questions
3 questions
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:22 pm    Post subject: 3 questions Reply with quote

How often ISPs usually renew IP addresses?

If I don't turn off my modem, do they change it on a regular basis all the same?

Can I access my home router from the outside world using the dynamic IP address as long as it hasn't been changed, or must I use a static one?

Thank you!

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

Mine, changes the router adress every 24 hours (ofc it has to be on to be able to change ;P)...

What I would do is access my pc (via some of the many remote desktop apps) and access the router from there.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

Mine enforced a disconnecting, after every 24hours being permanently connected, resulting in a new IP. You can also just disconnect earlier of course, if you want a new IP.

If you want to access your computer from on the move, you can use a dynamic IP service, like DynNS.com. You can pick a dynamic hostaddress at one of these domains (for instance kernel.kicks-asss.org (i prefer ath.cx cause its short ;D), and when you access this host, it will be redirected to your computer. Sign up, then click on "My Hosts" and add it. This service is free.

However it requires your host to contact dyndns.org, whenever you got a new IP, so they know where to redict ppl to, who try to access kernel.kicks-asss.org. For that you can either use a tool, or if your router isnt horrible old, you can usually also have your router automatically refresh that, so you will always be reachable via that dynamic host. :)

Once you have set that up, you could use TeamViewer or RealVNC or any other vnc software of your choice to control it.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

24 hours? Right, that's too short, so the solution really is one of those dynamic IP address services...

OK, cool!

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 8:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
How often ISPs usually renew IP addresses?

If I don't turn off my modem, do they change it on a regular basis all the same?

Can I access my home router from the outside world using the dynamic IP address as long as it hasn't been changed, or must I use a static one?

Thank you!

there are plenty of services for people with dynamic ip's...

i use dyndns.com with this script

Code::
#!/bin/bash
#
# dyndns.org script
#

LOGIN=jacky
PASSWD=mypw
HOST="todolist.ath.cx"
TMP=$(mktemp)
wget "http://$LOGIN:$PASSWD@members.dyndns.org/nic/update?system=dyndns&hostname=$HOST" -O $TMP
cat $TMP
echo
rm $TMP

the machine with the dynamic ip runs this script as a cronjob every 10 or 20 minutes or so (not to often of they get pissed)... and then i can reach the machine using todolist.ath.cx regardless of it's ip...

but most routers, like Joki's, have something like this script built-in these days...
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

But, Jack, that's a gift from the gods. The reason I asked in the first place is that I'm too lazy to look up how to configure my openwrt router to work with a dynamic ip address service (actually I've looked it up, but there were several options and I couldn't decide on what to do).

So that's all to it? I set a cron job to execute that script and I'm done? Excellent!

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

@jacky:
yes, i wouldnt refresh it every 10 mins, i got blocked by them twice when i refreshed it too often. :D

@kernel:
you will still have to signup at dyndns.org first and make an account. ;P

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2010 11:57 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

Dyndns.org seems to be the right solution.

But I don't understand why you should directly access your router by the outside : it's usually a bad idea.

I guess you'd want to access to a service running on a computer of your local network.

Anyway it's also a bad idea using RDP/VNC for connecting to an exported desktop service running inside your network.

What I'd do is to forward on the router a ssh service running over a computer inside the local network , maybe on a non-standard and high port ( eg 32645 , you can configure it in the file /etc/ssh/sshd_config ) that is able to forward X protocol ( again , you can tune it in /etc/ssh/sshd_config ) : you can access to your computer by logging through ssh , launch a graphic program ( eg file manager like nautilus ) and administering your PC in a covenient way.

You can launch also a web browser ( eg iceweasel ) using the same ssh session and you can administer your router through its web interface from the inside of your local network , without running the risk to give to the entire world full remote access to it.
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:50 pm    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

That was basically the idea. I mentioned the router because that is what it's going to be seen from the outside world. I don't think I'll need X, but it's always a possibility (but you can tunnel VNC through SSH, that should be secure, shouldn't it?). All I really want is SSH access to retrieve crap from everywhere or maybe even synchronise stuff without having to carry a hard drive with me.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 08, 2010 1:10 am    Post subject: Re: 3 questions Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
... (but you can tunnel VNC through SSH, that should be secure, shouldn't it?) ...

Yes it is , but I still prefer X forwarding so to have bandwidth filled only if I really need X.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: