the Rainbow Networks
RN|VQ3 DEFRAG
Map: si
Players: 0 / 18

+++eXy FFA
Map: hektik
Players: 5 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Radiant:Q3map2: Compiling map with highest possible settings
Radiant:Q3map2: Compiling map with highest possible settings
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 6:58 pm    Post subject: Radiant:Q3map2: Compiling map with highest possible settings Reply with quote

1) Compiling a map with highest possible settings (WARNING: use this is only for your final build, since this will take VERY long to build!)

What we do is, we just add a shortcut for it to the build menu, so we can use it when we need it:

- Start up your GTKRadiant
- Click on Build > Customize
- Scroll down to the end of the list and double click below the entries to add a new entry
- Name the new entry:
Code::
Q3Map2: (final compile 1)
- To the command line you add these 3 lines: (you can add a new line by double clicking in an empty line:
[q3map2] -meta -skyfix -verboseentities -samplesize 8 -v "[MapFile]"
[q3map2] -vis -saveprt -v "[MapFile]"
[q3map2] -light -fast -deluxe -patchshadows -dirty -bounce 2 -filter -samplesize 8 -samples 3 -v "[MapFile]"

This is what it should look like:

also: are you bored of having to compile your map twice each time you do some changes? First click on build > then on the 1st entry: Q3Map2: (single) BSP -meta to build the geometry. then quit Q3. then click on build > click on the 4th entry: Q3Map2: (single test) -light -faster. we are gonna change this, by modifying the 4th build option to do meta AND creating the lightmap in 1 step:

2) Modifying a build config to do meta + fast test lighting in 1 step:

- Start up your GTKRadiant
- Click on Build > Customize
- DblClick on the 4th entry: Q3Map2: (single test) -light -faster, change it to
Q3Map2: (single test) -meta -light -faster
- DblClick in the Commandline window that says:
[q3map2] -light -faster "[MapFile]"
and change this entry to
[q3map2] -meta "[MapFile]"
Add a 2nd line, and put the lighting cmd in there:
[q3map2] -light -faster "[MapFile]"
- Click on ok, done

This is what it should look like:

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Radiant:Q3map2: Compiling map with highest possible sett Reply with quote

According to the q3map2 wikibook, 'deluxe' is only of any use with some engines, and I doubt q3 is one of those. Also, if you use 'samples' you don't have to use 'filter'. The recommended thing to do is 'samples', apparently. I like what it does but I haven't compared it to 'filter'.

I personally prefer more light bounces to obtain a more realistic effect, although this will very much depend on the map. In open spaces where most of the light comes from the sky I don't think it matters much; indoors, where you have lots of lights, you probably want them to be reflected more times. I find more than 4 bounces to take forever, so what I did for foxhill2 was to pass the switch -bouncescale X. The higher the value the more effective the surfaces are at reflecting light, saving you bounce passes. However, if you set it too high you start getting annoying colour effects, since the first reflections--i.e., those not yet washed off much--take the colour of the surface they originate from and impregnate the surroundings with it...

You may also want to play with -lightmapsize, lowering it to obtain crispier shadows...the lightmap will be bigger, though, and it may not correct that particular part of the map you may be interested in. I think you can use external lightmaps for best results (hyper posted something about that some weeks ago).

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jun 12, 2009 9:23 am    Post subject: Re: Radiant:Q3map2: Compiling map with highest possible sett Reply with quote

And you might want to use q3map_sunExt instead of q3map_sun:

q3map_sun <red> <green> <blue> <intensity> <degrees> <elevation>
example: (light blue, 50 intensity which is late dusk (100 is bright day). 255 degree of angle (0 degree is from the right side in top view, increased degree is added counter-clockwise), 54 of angle (0 is dusk, 90 is high noon)):
q3map_sun 0.7 0.7 1.00 50 255 54

q3map_sunExt <red> <green> <blue> <intensity> <degrees> <elevation> <deviance> <samples>
example: (the same as above, but with 3 degrees of half-shadow with 16 jitters "over the solid arc", whatever this may mean :O) )
q3map_sunExt 0.7 0.7 1.00 50 255 54 3 16

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: