the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3tourney3
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › A technical question
A technical question
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: A technical question Reply with quote

Does anybody know how to make a bootable cd/dvd that automaticaly boots up into a image restore software and restores an image on a pc without any intervention from the user side? Mind you windows os only :(.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Ok, this is what i actualy need. I need to criple down windows in a way that it runs on a machine, but when its up and running there is no way for the user to use anything else and i mean NOTHING else but a web browser. That machine is going to be configured to connect to the internet through a proxy. You can define everything on a server through a policy so that the client machine has acces only to the web browser, but, as it is windows ppl allways find ways of messing things up.

Now my idea is to make a live cd of windows xp and with all the settings in it and removing any hard drive on the client machine making it impossible to mess with the os. This way if anything goes wrong you just reboot the machine from the cd again.

So if anybody has any experience, suggestions im all ears!

Mind you im strictley bound to win xp.

Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Why not just do a normal ghost copy and then lock the machine down with administrator rights and registry tweaks?

If you have a network through proxy, then you can even define set policies so allow starting of the programs (as you know), but the best way to go would be to simply remove all icons from the desktop (only leaving browser) and then lock the 'start' button and it's menu from the register, in addition also use the regkey to disable the 'win' key and shortcuts like 'alt+r'

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

The thing is, we had that all before, and it lasts as long as it lasts. Hence the idea of a ROM based os. Anyway i got 2 weeks to figure out something, allready found an app that makes a live win cd. Have to test it at work though..

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

This doesent seem to do what i was hoping it would.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 7:34 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Quote::
If you have a network through proxy, then you can even define set policies so allow starting of the programs (as you know), but the best way to go would be to simply remove all icons from the desktop (only leaving browser) and then lock the 'start' button and it's menu from the register, in addition also use the regkey to disable the 'win' key and shortcuts like 'alt+r'

Quote::
The thing is, we had that all before, and it lasts as long as it lasts.

How did they manage to break it? Was it users' fault or OS' fault?

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:10 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

It was before my time, so how did they manage to get through, I realy dont know. Maybe the os was not protected well enough, it couldev been broken through from the otside.

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Wed Oct 31, 2007 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

This is completely off-topic, but SnooSnno, come into the IRC chan. Since you're doing windows based, I can point you to a few things inside of Windows that you can mess with.

Also, if you're running the computer with Internet Explorer 6, or any older version, that's a big no-no. People can access Windows Explorer through IE6 very easily. I've done this before and it's a serious security flaw. Also, you'll want to disable the Start Menu, get rid of any icons on the desktop, except for the Internet Browser, Firefox or Opera will do, and prevent right-clicking from taking place.

Yes, all of that is possible. I've encountered it before. But the only thing is, I've encountered it on Novell computers so there might have to be a lot more tweaking to do if you're gonna stick with regular Windows XP. It's a long and harsh project, but it is possible. You'll also need to setup Firefox to prevent it from accessing the drive when you type in "C:\" in the Address Bar. How to do this, I have no idea.

All of this information is a little bit out of order but you'll get the picture. Come in IRC and we'll discuss it further.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

What my coleague did was that he installed 2k3 on a pc that should be the server and proxy for those consoles. There he restricted everything on the consoles. He just left IE in the start menu, nothing else. All shortcuts and right clicks disabled. I want to check how that is done on the 2k3 server, and then see for possible mistakes. Those pointers you gave me should help me a bit further. Thank you.

I realy need to learn thiss stuff if i ever want to move up the ranks. I'll make sure to join you on the channel next week. By then I'll try to learn as much as possible so that i have good questions and that i can understand the answers. Thanks again!

Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Nov 01, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Just a hint: would be nice if you could use the forums to discuss the outcome of this problem since it would be a good reference for others if you manage to solve it.

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 8:42 am    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

What I've found in the group policy mngmnt console is that I can Configure options for IE only. It doesent seem to support any other web browsers. I am aware of the vulnerability of IE 6 and older. Any experience with IE 7. I'd like to be able to use and configure another browser through group policy though. (I even managed to find a few loopholes in my coleagues setup of the policy)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Ok, new update. My boss told me i can go with linux, but as a live cd. What I'd like to do is to create a live cd with this configuration:
- proxy server configured
- IP adress (DHCP optional)
- web browser
- no other apps
- during boot to boot the whole thing into RAM
(this way it doesent need to consult the cd all the time)
That's all I can think of for now. I have found a page with tools for creating a live cd ( www.linux-live.org/# -- www.linux.com/articles/44293 -- ibuild.livecd.net/ ). Sounds easy but i dont realy understand everything there so any help would be cool. [SnooSnoo looks at JockeTF]

edit: Forgot to mention that the pc's got 256 MB RAM only. So it should be a realy stripped down version of linux.

Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Knoppix is probably the best way to go since it's aimed at just what you need. I haven't tried it myself for some years but also 'damn small linux' or whatever it's called, could do the same thing. [Looks at JockeTF] :)

JockeTF
Furver Admin

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

Oww.... Stop staring at me... It's annoying. :(

If you need something quick and small go with Knoppix or DSL, that ibuild livecd thing looks good as well.

When You've got a working live cd you could include a small shell script which does whatever you want it to do. Then you should add the script to /etc/rc.local in order to execute it at the end of the boot process.

I'm not sure if this will all work nicely, but but this might be one way of loading everything into the RAM. You could to create a tmpfs file system (or use /dev/ram). After that you could copy the a miniature distro into the tmpfs "disc" and use chroot in order to "switch distro" to the one in the RAM, the chroot thing will only be applied to your current terminal though.

The only real problem I see here is the RAM of the computer, But it would be a lot easier if you could keep the disc in the computer at all times and let it read whatever it needs from it, it won't really take all that long as it probably wont need to read much data.

I'll do some testing with the RAM disc thing and try to add some more info here. If you need me to answer any specific questions, just ask.
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Re: A technical question Reply with quote

So, basicaly i need to write a script to setup things like network settings/restrictions/ 'n stuff. Ok, I can ditch the "to RAM" thing but I need to learn how to restrict acces, and leave only the web browser accessible.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: