the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3tourney3
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › w1z-dm2
w1z-dm2
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

apparently our glorious leader is a big fan of dm2, so i've offered to do some work on it.

i found the textures a bit too intense and distracting, so before i did any tweaking to the map i textured everything with concrete. it's a bit bland now, but that's only temporary.

Last edited by hyp3rfocus on Fri Oct 19, 2007 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

hyp3rfocus wrote:
apparently our glorious leader is a big fan of dm2, so i've offered to do some work on it.

i found the textures a bit too intense and distracting, so before i did any tweaking to the map i textured everything with concrete. it's a bit bland now, but that's only temporary.

here's what i've got so far. it'll need to be started from the console.
w1z-dm2-003
Ain't much glorius about me, I'm just some random dictator that pushes people around, nothing more. I'll edit my signature later :)

Anyways, as you know, I alpha-tested the map, gave suggestions and comments and I can say that the map is really looking good already. The marble textures that dmn_clown put there was simply to messy, so a re-texturing project of it was well needed. And thank you for listening and making dm2 a true tribute to Quake 1 and something that actually looks and feels like it's original.

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 6:17 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

ok, there were some problems with hosting the file on mediafire, so now it's hosted on w1zrd's server. (thanks w1zrd)

w1z-dm2-003.pk3
dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

nice great lack of providing source.

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:11 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

here's the source, nothing interesting really. it's just got a concrete texture and a few little gameplay tweaks.

w1z-dm2-003.map
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 12:00 am    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

w1z, i'm going through you second demo and applying the changes, but this one i'm not sure about. you suggested putting a yellow armour at the place shown in the attached photo, but that's a spawn point, so i thought i'd check first.

spawn.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  267.23 KB
 Viewed:  5349 Time(s)

spawn.png

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 2:29 am    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

Hyp3rfocus, I had (finally) a look at the map. It indeed is less confusing than the OA version. Some things, though, should be polished in my opinion. Probably you've already thought about this as you are still working in the map, but here it goes anyway:

-lights. Too intense in most places and too close to brushes, drawing too obvious spots in walls and ceiling. As well, in some places there is some sort of orange-ish light. I'm not sure if it comes from the lava texture or from some light with color, but it looks bad.

-lava. I personally hate the look of it. I prefer the classical red one.

-concrete. Too much, maybe? Perhaps you could spicy it a bit with some different textures for the ceiling/floor.

As for the rest, I think you are in the right track.

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

you're right about the concrete, it is a bit too much, but it's just there to give me a blank map to work on. it also makes it easy to spot if i've missed any bits of texturing, because they really stand out against the bland concrete.

i agree with you on the lights, they really need fixing too. this is another reason i'm sticking with the concrete for now as it really shows up any variation in the lighting.

as for the lava, i'll take a look at the other options at some point. in theory the lava could be ditched altogether, it depends on the look of the map and whether w1zrd wants to keep it or not.

thanks for the feedback mate. : :grin:
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2007 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

ok, here's the latest release. here is a pk3 for people who want to play it...
w1z-dm2-004.pk3

...and a zipped map file for mappers...
w1z-dm2-004.map.zip

i've chased down a huge amount of z-fighting. there's almost definitely more left somewhere, but it's getting better. i've also implemented a load of w1zrd's suggestions to improve gameplay.

with this build i used a better (and longer) light compile, so the lighting should look smoother. i think the lighting still needs changing, but it doesn't look as bad as it did in the last one where i did a very quick light stage.
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

here are some of the things w1zrd had me change....

-the plasma has been replaced by a rocket launcher.
-the teleport destination above the main hall has been moved back against the wall to reduce the chance of you falling off the edge when you teleport there.
-the medkit on the platform above the main hall has been removed.
-the yellow armour and haste in the hidden room has been replaced by red armour.
-the bridge over the lave to the red armour retracts quicker. there is still time to press the button, rocketjump up, collect the armour and get back.
-the length of the bridege is longer to make it harder to jump across the lava.
-the stretch of lava by the main hall is longer now, with an extra platform.

i haven't been able to reduce the noise of all the grenades and rockets in the main hall. anyone know how?
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2007 8:38 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

ok, i'm off to visit my family for a few days, so here's what i've got before i go.

w1z-dm2-005.pk3
zipped map file

i'm going back to the original quake map. i've removed all the grenades and rockets from the main hall, put the lava back in place and i'm in the process of making the four moving floors that pull back to uncover the lava pit. they aren't animated yet, but i've got brushes in place to show where they will be. i think i've made it fairly similar to the original map. there is a slight gap between the two biggest floor pieces, but they will meet when it's done properly.

the lighting stage on this compile was very quick, so it will look rough.
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

Good stuff, seems like it helped you when I provided the original screenshots :) Also remember to do texturing before lightning on it as kernel_panic said yesterday since it is rather complex lightning on the map itself due to it's eerie feel and subtle shadows.

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 4:31 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

yeah, the screenshots were a massive help. especially the ones where you showed the floor opening up. i have a better idea what is going on now. apart from the moving floors, are there any more gameplay changes that you want?
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

I tested 005 also, it's a great improvement in making it more like the original quake map but there are some small adjustments still. Call be picky, but I think it's worth mentioning the small details and you take it as constructive input for what it's worth. It's your call what you do with the map, I just suggest the do's and dont's.
Check the demo for some comments..also, check some screenshots for the moving pads, they are a bit wider for instance, but if you want, I can provide you with screenshots of how they look like if you want. But I'll say it again, this is a great job you've been doing, for sure :grin:

dm2_testing.dm_68
 Description:
 Filename:  dm2_testing.dm_68
 Filesize:  332.01 KB
 Downloaded:  205 Time(s)

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2007 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: w1z-dm2 Reply with quote

w1z, don't hesitate to make suggestions. i wasn't joking when i said i was doing this map for you, i really appreciate what you do for us and this map is my way of saying thankyou.

i'll be back to my pc in a couple of days and i'll take a look at the demo. if you could give me some screenshots of the platforms that would be great.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: