the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: unitooldm4
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Redo OA?
Redo OA?
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

so far i've never felt that the installation in the user directories is better than having configs and downloaded content where i actually decided to install the game.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

pulchr wrote:
... this is better

Back in the days Q3 was originally not designed as multiuser and it hadn't either autodownload

Are we going back instead of forth ?

In case of affermative response , what's the main target of the project ?
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

the app-data folder setup for configs and downloads is a pretty bad solution in my opinion. this is better

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

I agree with having everyithing in the install folder. That way whenever I change my os I dont have to start a new sticky to point ppl where the downloaded stuff goes. :)

Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 7:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

SnooSnoo wrote:
chiquita wrote:
Thing I like most is having the config in the same bloody folder rather than that App crap. I think that application folder is one of the worst things, especially for beginners and non-techies since the apps folder is one of the hidden ones. Also it confuses the people who are used to the normal q3.

Yes I agree, but it makes things easy if multiple users use that machine and the game. That way they dont mix their settings.

Theoretically you are right. However, my guess is that most gamers (95 percent?) have their own dedicated machine used by a single person (usually at home). For these people (many of whom might be newbies as far as the working of operating systems is concerned) the use of a separate (hidden!) folder for game config files can be quite confusing. Let's accept the truth: Windows XP is not generally used as a multiuser OS (it's just as well :) ).

In a truly multiuser setup you can have separate instances of the game for every user. Yea, a waste of space, but who cares when the smallest HD you can buy nowadays is 80 GB.

Speaker

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

True.. but I can see that being more useful for programs that maybe hold alot of files.. but for q3 it seems more hassle than it's worth.. especially since the config size was/is buggy and you had to clean it up manually most times anyway :(

When I reinstalled my machine my apps folder is in something like name.name-K34898 which makes it even more difficult to find.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
Thing I like most is having the config in the same bloody folder rather than that App crap. I think that application folder is one of the worst things, especially for beginners and non-techies since the apps folder is one of the hidden ones. Also it confuses the people who are used to the normal q3.

Yes I agree, but it makes things easy if multiple users use that machine and the game. That way they dont mix their settings.

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Tested the latest version on the sth puter @work and its realy working neat. Like the sounds and the lightweight of it overall. Tho idk if Im having input lag but the controlls felt wierd. Will have more to add when I get time to test it on my real puter.

Nice work!

Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:57 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Hi,

The next release of Q3MIN is ready. The following changes have been made:

1. Added Chiquita's new sounds. It is a huge improvement! The whole atmosphere of the game is completely changed (for better).

2. Re-made the opening logo, it uses now a different font (Book Antiqua). Now if anybody tells me that it is bad and something else should be used, I resign... :)

3. Made new artwork for the menu (buttons). Got rid of all images containing the OA logo.

4. Added back Sarge (Grism) so that the problems with the default player model are corrected.

5. Under Windows the game no longer uses 'Documents and Settings'. Everything is written to the base path (i.e. the install folder).

The new release can be downloaded here:

freeq3.com/data/q3min-v062.zip

BTW, 'freeq3.com' is going to be the main site for Q3MIN. The site has been kindly donated by chiquita for this purpose. Thank you! I have started to flesh out the site, it is rather primitive at this time. The URL 'freeq3.com' at present redirects you to the forum that is already in place and working (chiquita in action again). If you really wish to see my feeble attempt you should use the following URL:

freeq3.com/index.html

Criticism and comments are welcome. (Well, I shouldn't say anything else, should I? :) )

Speaker

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:50 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

What sounds are still missing? Can you send me the ones you have as I'm not aware of any missing. All I'm aware of is shite sounds :blarg:

I currently have producers redoing the sonic (music) sounds and crap stuff then loop them which will bring the file size even smaller. They will be more atmospheric but I'll check them out first of course. I may not use them but these guys are good :)
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

I have found replacements for about half the missing sounds, hard to find a decent announcer thou.

Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

pulchr wrote:
there are quite a number of changes in the description of q3m that i dislike. i'll write a list and say why when i get back home again (in a day or two).

Some changes implemented in Q3M are client side and can be made optional (cvar controlled). I don't think that these changes would meet much opposition among players. Server side features like spawn protection are more controversial. However, let's see what the majority of people say.

@chiquita:

The game simply defaults to the 'sarge' model when it has insufficient info (e.g. an unknown bot name is specified). Unfortunately the default model is hard coded in a header file (cg_local.h) so it cannot be changed except by recompiling the 'cgame' module.

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Protocol 68 for sure ;P

That will allow people to play with a default q3 client and should remove any of the mouse shit when people were restricted with the default oa client.

People forget that when a mod is used on oa.. the game virtually becomes a q3 game... so I could always use my q3 client but couldnt use it on default oa games. The mod even works better because you sometimes find things which you dont see on oa.. because they've messed around with the code.

People did complain about not being able to change team skins on ctf and apprarently it's a 'feature'. Well I'm not so sure... I just thought the reason for this was because sarge was a model that was recognised by the game and maybe would have needed tweaks to define the rest. I dont know for sure but couldnt think of any other reason why people couldnt pick a different model from their own team.
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

there are quite a number of changes in the description of q3m that i dislike. i'll write a list and say why when i get back home again (in a day or two).

looking good so far :D

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 9 of 16

Jump to: