the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: mksteel
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › The Q3 Replacement texture contributions
The Q3 Replacement texture contributions
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:19 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

hahah you mean a map pack comes with q3 textures? Well it wont be the first :O

Maybe you should contact leilol to ensure the public dont benefit from enjoying such content for free... and they should be instead running around a much darkened map with no visibility like this

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
hahah you mean a map pack comes with q3 textures? Well it wont be the first :O

No ... anyway ... I've realized there's no problem while the z-gpl_etc_pack is loaded as the last , so the game will use the textures contained in your pack , or at least the textures contained in the jack's gpl_etc_pack

so .... I am going to upload the pack :D

chiquita wrote:

Maybe you should contact leilol ...

Who ???

chiquita wrote:

... and they should be instead running around a much darkened map with no visibility like this

Bah ... never had a visibility problem with that map .

EDIT : it goes in timeout ... I have only 300kbs in upload ... maybe jack can download the dc-mappack directly from the main site.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:27 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

ye.. where can we get this mappack :O
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

i think that dc-mappack is the baseq3 from the Dreamcast version of Q3A

i found a mirror: www.zen16052.zen.co.uk...appack.zip
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:25 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

awesome \:D/

i'll add gpl to the filename then its cool :D
Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

Hi,

Checked the textures in 'dc_mappack'. They are all derived from Q3A textures, but are not identical to any of them. Rather, some Q3A textures have been edited/combined to make new ones. So you can't just remove all the textures from the PK3 and expect it to work with our zgpl pack. :| Also there is no license info in the archive.

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

I have the map pack running on /connect q3eu.com:27974 right now.

It seems alot of the textures are also missing. I didnt check for any errors but I wonder if these maps can be split so they can be loaded individually on demand?

I don't know enough about map stuff to know if the q3 texture pack could replace the dc ones with some hax.. i mean editing.
Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:37 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:

It seems alot of the textures are also missing. I didnt check for any errors but I wonder if these maps can be split so they can be loaded individually on demand?

It is possible to split the pack, it is just tedious. You have to make separate PK3 files, move the BSP and AAS files to these new PK3s and also copy the needed resources (textures, shaders, etc.). Of course, there would be a lot of overlap (redundancy) so the resulting stuff may easily be 3 to 4 times larger then the original PK3 (unless you check the texture/shader usage of each map and painstakingly remove unnecessary stuff).

chiquita wrote:

I don't know enough about map stuff to know if the q3 texture pack could replace the dc ones with some hax.. i mean editing.

It can be done but it would be even more tedious than splitting the PK3. We would have to reproduce all the Q3A texture derivatives used in the maps or find suitable replacements. It would be a huge task, there are hundreds of 'new' textures. IMO it's not worth the effort.

aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

here is my jeans and my hoodie. i know it sucks, but i wanted to post it anyway, maybe its worth a laugh ;D

Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:54 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

Falkland wrote:

chiquita wrote:

Maybe you should contact leilol ...
Who ???

So you don't know him/her? Some people are so lucky... :harr: (FYI, he/she is the local Fuhrer at Openarena, and an irritating jerk.)

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

Quote::
(FYI, he/she is the local Fuhrer at Openarena, and an irritating jerk.)

"The local Fuhrer"...XD

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:09 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

aantipop wrote:
here is my jeans and my hoodie. i know it sucks, but i wanted to post it anyway, maybe its worth a laugh ;D

You'd be suprised at how some of the quickly made textures look, especially if shaders and effects are used. Since we don't have any replacements for some of them then it's better than nothing. I'll touch these up and add them.

The current situation is to complete all the missing images, then that should be enough to justify a full release. While that is in progress we can fix and touch up the not so good ones. Many images don't justify getting a perfect match since they dont appear often and are small like candle holders.. but you can see this when you put the pack in the game folder and check out a few maps.

I usually just stick the pack in the defrag folder then goto tricks mode and select the maps that way.

There has been alot of updates since the pack was first released so I can supply a link to the updated pack for anyone who is adding stuff or wants to contribute. Just remember not to overwrite the original one currently in use (especially for slow downloaders) as I done :D
Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:36 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

Hi,

I have tested the maps in 'dc_mappack'. I am not impressed to say the least. The majority (15) of them are re-textured Q3A maps (using bastardized Q3A textures). One of them (04) has bad HOM errors. Of the rest, I would say that two of them are decent (06 and 07) the rest is so-so.

IMHO the whole pack is kind of pointless. If you are going to commit copyright violation, you might as well go for the lot and use the original maps with original textures. It is quite easy to extract them and put them into a separate PK3. (I have done this for testing Q3A maps under Openarena, to see which textures are missing.)

Chiquita: If you want some of the maps as separate packs, let me know and I will extract them to PK3s. But not the Q3A clones, please.

Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
Quote::
(FYI, he/she is the local Fuhrer at Openarena, and an irritating jerk.)

"The local Fuhrer"...XD

I have the impression that you do not like the expression I used. Well, if you can suggest some other term for a person who abuses his/her position as administrator, uses dictatorial methods to oppress any opinion different from his/her ones, and bans users who point this out , then I will gladly use it. Until then...

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 11:04 am    Post subject: Re: The Q3 Replacement texture contributions Reply with quote

Speaker wrote:
I have the impression that you do not like the expression I used. Well, if you can suggest some other term for a person who abuses his/her position as administrator, uses dictatorial methods to oppress any opinion different from his/her ones, and bans users who point this out , then I will gladly use it. Until then...

Nah, man. Its the old memories coming back. We've all been there and done that. :)

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: