the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm5
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › mapping help request
mapping help request
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rilessgar

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:43 pm    Post subject: mapping help request Reply with quote

I make models in blender and I'd like to be able to put them into a simple map so that I can see what they would look like in a game. All I need is an empty room big enough that a basic map could be built in there. If I could have both a Quake 3 and Doom 3 .map file that would be hugely helpful.

Using Blender I've made a template for the size of map i need. It's an ase file (attached to this post) that needs to be loaded into Gtkradiant and postioned on 0,0,0. The model is basically 6 "frames" that need to be filled with caulk. I set the grid size to 512 when I created it, so it would make it easier to use if the same was done in Gtkradiant. Then the inside walls of the room need to be set up to a texture (any texture will do, I can edit the .map file by hand if i need to change it). I don't need anything like spawnpoints or lights, I can add those to the .map file later. Just the caulk blocks will be fine.

Thankyou.

EDIT - fixed the ase zip attachment.

workshop.ase.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  workshop.ase.zip
 Filesize:  3.43 KB
 Downloaded:  109 Time(s)

Last edited by rilessgar on Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:34 am; edited 2 times in total
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

Sounds like a case for that garage map hyp3r once had...

PostPosted: Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:03 pm    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

http://rainbow.furver.se/index.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=149

There were no .map files, sadly. Plus that was only quake3, I really need Doom3.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

this (attached file) is the closest to your request that i had floating around...
you need to rename the texture names in an ascii editor and the dimensions might not be what you wanted... but it's a simple room made of 6 surfaces for doom3...

before.map
 Description:
 Filename:  before.map
 Filesize:  3.79 KB
 Downloaded:  110 Time(s)
rilessgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

Thankyou JackThompson. That's perfect for the kind of model I am planning to make.

rilessgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

I'm making good progress.

I've removed all but one light and raised it's radius to brighten the room. I set the ceiling and floor brushes to existing Doom3 materials and set up the texture scaling values. I've not textured the walls yet as I'm planning to try and make a few Doom3 materials by using Openarena textures and writing my own .mtr (material) files for Doom3. If I can get those working then I'll retexture the walls with them.

JackThompson - would it be alright if the .map file you gave me was licensed under public domain? It would mean less worry for me over licensing conflicts.

rilessgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 7:44 pm    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

I've had some success gettting Openarena textures working in Doom3. I made a folder called materials, created the following text file and saved it as openarena.mtr in that folder.

Code::
textures/openarena/scratch_wall

{

qer_editorimage 	textures/openarena/scratch_wall.jpg

{

blend bumpmap	

map	textures/openarena/scratch_wall.jpg

}

}

I then put took the openarena texture scratch_wall.jpg and put it in a folder called textures/openarena. I zipped both the materials and textures folders up into a pk4 and dropped it into Doom3/base. I then ran doom3 and compiled the .map from the command line with

dmap gallery.map

and then ran it with

map gallery.map

The map compiled and ran without any problems, but it seems I've made a mistake when i wrote the .mtr file because the texture seems to be a negative image and underlit. In the image below you can just see some of the far wall illuminated and looking like black bricks with lighter mortar. I've overlayed the original scratch_wall.jpg texture to show what it should look like.

rilessgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

I've fixed it. I made some blank grey textures in gimp to supply the specular and bump maps that Doom3 is used to dealing with. Here is what is contained in the pk3 now.

materials/openarena.mtr
textures/openarena/scratch_wall_d.tga
textures/openarena/scratch_wall_local.tga
textures/openarena/scratch_wall_ed.tga
textures/openarena/scratch_wall_s.tga

and this is how the .mtr file looks.

Code::
textures/openarena/scratch_wall
{       qer_editorimage		textures/openarena/scratch_wall_ed.tga

diffusemap		textures/openarena/scratch_wall_d.tga
	specularmap		textures/openarena/scratch_wall_s.tga
	bumpmap			textures/openarena/scratch_wall_local.tga
}

Here is how the texure looks in Doom3 now.

I may experiment with making functional specular and bump maps, but for now I am just happy to have Openarena textures working in Doom3. I'll get a few more textures into /texture, set them up in openarena.mtr and then edit them into the map file. Once the floors, walls and ceiling have been covered with Openarena textures I will start adjusting the lighting.

rilessgar

PostPosted: Sat Mar 07, 2009 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

I should point out that I am planning to make GPL compatible content, so there will be no license conflict with the Openarena textures that I am using.

rilessgar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 12:53 am    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

I've got a working room now. It's pretty boring, just an empty box room, but the Openarena textures are working fine.

If the .map can be released with a GPL compatible license then I can share the pk4 here for anyone with a copy of Doom3 installed to try.

jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 3:42 am    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

nice work... :D

sorry that i forgot to add the mtr file.. i had a bad time before i realized myself that it is necessary... :/

you can do with the .map file what you want.. hyp3rfocus and me used it to figure out how idtech4 brushes work... and it's just 6 surfaces after all.. not possible to put a license on that..
rilessgar

PostPosted: Sun Mar 08, 2009 9:28 am    Post subject: Re: mapping help request Reply with quote

Thanks JackThompson. I'll say the .map and the .mtr file are public domain then.

workshop-00001.pk4 can be downloaded from this page.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: