the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm17
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › Realtime Linux kernel
Realtime Linux kernel
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

Falkland wrote:

2.6.27 before rc7 has a severe bug that corrupts the firmware of the Intel e1000 netcard on laptops. (In some cases hardware substitution seems to be the only way to have it back)

The bug is still confirmed in rc8

Launchpad entry : [intrepid] 2.6.27 e1000e driver places Intel ICH8 and ICH9 gigE chipsets at risk

Quote::

Jiri Kosina cautioned that there is still an unknown bug affecting the e1000e driver currently in the 2.6.27 kernel, "rendering the cards unusable for most of the i-am-not-a-hacker users (and remember, even Dave Airlie bricked his laptop completely to death, when trying to restore eeprom contents)" When asked how to duplicate the bug, Jiri noted that the inability to reliably reproduce the bug added to the difficulty in debugging the problem, "apparently it is some kind of race, as it usually takes multiple cycles to trigger".

Source : 2.6.27-rc8, "This One Should Be The Last One"
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

Just in case somebody tries this out, do it with a major version number, e.g 2.6.26 rather than 2.6.26.5. I had some problem with my kernel headers and had to recompile the whole stuff so I thought I might as well give this a shot. After changing gcc version and discarding other patches I usually apply I found out the RT patch to be the problem. Since I only realized about this version thing after I had already compiled my new kernel I was too lazy to do it again...next time.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
... do it with a major version number, e.g 2.6.26 rather than 2.6.26.5.

I wrote at the beginning of the tutorial that I used the Sid (Unstable) linux-source deb package ( vanilla + debian patches + most important patches of major.x revisions ) and it still works with the latest version of the package , which was updated some days ago. ;)

Maybe the confusion was generated by the make menuconfig screenshots , 'cause I've used vanilla 2.6.26 + patch-2.6.26.5 + RT patch : just consider them as a sample , 'cause I've grabbed them on the Ubuntu machine to make the tutorial ;)
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

Uh? No, I haven't payed much attention to the screenshots. I'm only saying this stuff about the version numbers for it's what I read on the RT wiki. Of course, it may not be that. What is for sure is that my kernel did not compile until I took rid of the RT patch. Boh.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
What is for sure is that my kernel did not compile until I took rid of the RT patch.

I forgot to mention that on the previous debian sid kernel series ( 2.6.24 - 2.6.25 ) it didn't work neither for me :)

- 2.6.24 + rt patch -> it didn't compile :)
- 2.6.25 + rt patch -> it compiled but I obtained a kernel hang while booting just everytime :)
aanti
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

im using zen kernel with mm patches. ETQW Linux Demo runs much better compared to the arch linux stock kernel..

wiki.ubuntu.com/ZenKernel

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

Falkland wrote:

I wrote at the beginning of the tutorial that I used the Sid (Unstable) linux-source deb package ( vanilla + debian patches + most important patches of major.x revisions ) and it still works with the latest version of the package

It also works with the latest debian source package (vanilla 2.6.26 + debian patches + some patches from 2.6.26.7 )

U will obtain another failure in patching files :

Code::

Hunk #1 FAILED at 499.
1 out of 1 hunk FAILED -- saving rejects to file drivers/acpi/ec.c.rej

But u can safely ignore this , 'cause the code of the driver is totally changed.
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

It works with the latest debian source package (2.6.26 8) and with the latest patch-2.6.26.6-rt11

General responsivity seems better .
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 1:52 am    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

I don't want to spoil your party, Falk (respect), but I have been told that real time kernels are pointless for what you are doing. The same guy who fixed my problems with a hosed X server told me so.

This one:

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

rofl ...

it seems that the same Guy ( XD ) has told also to kernel developers how to fix the Intel e1000e driver corruption bug in the linux 2.6.27 series :

quoted from official Linux Kernel ChangeLog-2.6.27.1

Quote::

commit bc5b8bb64a2dc740d8b99635931e689a8b13daf2
Author: Greg Kroah-Hartman <gregkh@suse.de>
Date: Wed Oct 15 16:02:53 2008 -0700

Linux 2.6.27.1

commit d23d43386311fde5f11e06c16d4185e94a8d6d06
Author: Steven Rostedt <rostedt@goodmis.org>
Date: Wed Oct 15 18:21:44 2008 -0400

disable CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE due to possible memory corruption on module unload

While debugging the e1000e corruption bug with Intel, we discovered
today that the dynamic ftrace code in mainline is the likely source of
this bug.

For the stable kernel we are providing the only viable fix patch: labeling
CONFIG_DYNAMIC_FTRACE as broken. (see the patch below)

We will follow up with a backport patch that contains the fixes. But since
the fixes are not a one liner, the safest approach for now is to
disable the code in question.

btw ... what kind of problem did u have with X ?
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

Falky,

Even if you concede that you were wrong, fight it to the death, even with some bs quoted from some site (which has a broken database connection). If he has any faith he would believe in you. :)
Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2008 9:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Realtime Linux kernel Reply with quote

Better and better :

debian source package 2.6.26 9 and patch-2.6.26.6-rt11

EDIT : This is the best rt kernel of 2.6.26 series that I've ever compiled (for now) and tested.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: