the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: hektik
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o
Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

mm, it's funny how one can get stuck in a sticky wheel and spin-off on the same comments for ages... Cheats are not defined by one person, cheats are what the vast majority of players define it to be; a single person, not even a egotistical leader, would make that any different..

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Very true. You have to realise where you stand, otherwise you continue on the same path.

hamsterwheel2.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  21.08 KB
 Viewed:  3797 Time(s)

hamsterwheel2.jpg

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

oh my. As soon as I post that pic, this appears as a random pic after submission.

Jack when you gonna get out of there, we miss you :(

Also note, Jack cheats.. the first pic is lightmap as you can see by the window, Jacks screenshot is soo obviously vertex.... with cranked up intensity.

Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

dairu wrote:
if you were in my shoes, you wouldn't want to waste what little of my time to reply to the rest of redundant fussy whine filler because it wouldn't bring the project forward. Reading it all word by word would just make me want to kill the project and move on to doing an online game without any 'professional gaming' cheats built-in to begin with.
You should know I am doing this project for free, no pay, in my spare time, and I don't owe a damn thing to any one of you.

If I was in your shoes, I wouldn't waste my time and energy by doing things that will only hurt my own goal. I know what an opensource project is, you spend hours and hours of your precious time only for other people and for your own sake, there's no other reward. But an opensource project is based above and before all on the community, and even more when you are doing a multiplayer game.

Plus, we aren't asking you to do more, but less work ! Why wanting to do such changes, if you don't even know what really happens in-game ? When did you play last time ? Did you asked to the players what they think ?

I don't understand why you want to change what is already good. And like it's commonly said: "better is worse than good"

PS: I know you won't reply to all the things I said, so please reply to this only question: Why don't you make a poll ?

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Forget vertex lighting or lightmap cause your game can look like this! :hoho:

dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

GrosBedo wrote:
Why don't you make a poll ?
a poll would be stupid at this point because i'm not taking back my final decision.

gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I think we should let vertex go... ;P

If you have lots of poblems with lightmap we will try to help you! :grin:

Lightmap shouldn't be a terrible transition if you set up your cfg correctly. :O)
W1ZrD
Founder
Founder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

dairu,
With my understanding of your Open Arena project was not the intention and purpose of it to make something that would run on older machines , Pentium 233 MMX, Voodoo 2 12mb e.t.c? While removing the less demanding graphics options (vertex) and forcing users to use the more graphic intense lightmap option would that not then defeat the purpose of the entire project since it takes a more powerful machine to even run the game? Obviously this is a question dependant on hardware since that is what ultimately determines your Frames Per Second and even if the game will RUN at 5 FPS on a 1999-factory standard machine, it is not playable..

True that most people do not use older hardware any longer but my question is if your project has a renewed goal or if it's still trying to achive what it was designed for?

Nothing happens unless first we dream.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

leilol, will you have a 1v1 match with me? :) pleeeaaaase

Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

just fork it ;)

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:34 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I would also like some clarification, because I still let these guys benchmark/test the multimedia streams. They have as code piped with the startup of the game. I have no idea about that but apparently I broke it when upgrading to 0.7.6.

My gameserver friend in the US had started a couple of servers up, we was wary about it because he has a template system for clients who could play a couple of Open Source based games. He was pissed at me after the update thing and explained that if people started DL'ing OA then he would expect at least one fully working version. I then looked at the serverlist and there were about 30-40 that dropped out and hadnt upgraded. All I was trying to do was to get more players but ended up looking like an idiot.

He also explained that when id's Q3 is released then when you purchase the game, it may progress with updates, but the games version at time of release still got supported because it had been tagged as a network based multiplayer game and people may not have the hardware requirements for future releases. They also could not just have every retailer removing old copies and forcing to stick up a new one.

If the GPL system is different then it has to made clear.

Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 8:37 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

W1ZrD wrote:
dairu,
With my understanding of your Open Arena project was not the intention and purpose of it to make something that would run on older machines , Pentium 233 MMX, Voodoo 2 12mb e.t.c?

which is perfectly capable of multitexturing and does not need the vertex light feature. I've just tested a Voodoo3 in a 233mhz the other day with playable results maxed out at 1024x768x16

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

I don't want to take a position in your clash.

But maybe you have a different definition of "playable" than others, when it comes to fps-games. For me "playable" means 60+ fps at ANY given moment, "perfect playable" means 100-110+ fps at ANY given moment, even when there are 8 people, 5 projectiles and 25 splashing gibs on the screen. ;P And yes, sure you notice the difference.
gummi
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 1:30 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Why complain when your game can look like this.
The N1!
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Re: Is it true that 0.8.0 wont have vertex lighting :o Reply with quote

Here are 2 shots:

Alright, try that :X
/exec spiffy

Btw: You might want to lower r_bloom_intensity a bit ...

spiffy.cfg
 Description:
Joks Eye-bleeding config
 Filename:  spiffy.cfg
 Filesize:  1.58 KB
 Downloaded:  123 Time(s)

Last edited by Joki on Sun Jun 15, 2008 11:19 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: