the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: hektik
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Main › Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system.
Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system.
"There is only only problem, there isnt a General Crap section, that is my home. :)

I shall use Main for now. Main what? Main crap?"

Go to page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JockeTF
Furver Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 29, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

These binaries are for everyone who still wants to use the old input system while playing on OpenArena 0.7.7 servers. The binaries are based on OpenArena 0.7.0 and the only thing that has been changed is the protocol version number.

You can find the binaries and the source code at http://furver.no-ip.org/oa_070_69/.

I can only compile binaries for 32-bit Linux. If you can compile binaries for other platforms then please send those to me and I'll upload them to Furver.

// JockeTF :)
View user's profile Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 10:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

Tested it. The very first try was a disaster as big as 40 FPS can be. Then I realized that I had downclocked my graphics card to the bare minimum (I do that all the time when not playing). I set the right frequency, restarted the game and voila, everything seems to be working as it should.

Thanks!

By the way, are there any visual features enabled by default in the new release? I noticed I have 125 stable FPS when only a couple of players are online, the more they get in the crappier it gets. Any ideas about what could I tweak?

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

more players=>more CPU load...wot an easy result btw but yay blame 0.7.7 for everything else is so easy...

Imho only a more powerful CPU will assuage your sorrows ;P

Derity
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

thx jocke!!!!
(i didnt tested it so far, but 0.7.7 .................... )

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

Quote::
more players=>more CPU load...wot an easy result btw but yay blame 0.7.7 for everything else is so easy...

But the lion's share of the load must be the rendering of the whole stuff. Having some more objects here and there, whose position is given by the server anyway shouldn't affect much. Hell, they aren't even bots, so no AI calculation overhead is involved.

Imho only a more powerful CPU will assuage your sorrows

While not a gaming machine, my computer should be more than able to drive OA at good frame rates. I can't believe a pentium M@2GHz, 1 Gb and a dedicated old good ATI 9700 doesn't cut it. I read in the OA forums that 0.7.6 is more demanding than its predecessor; hence my question: is there anything new enabled by default that compromises performance? Because I DON'T SEE anything visually fancy that could explain it.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:
While not a gaming machine, my computer should be more than able to drive OA at good frame rates. I can't believe a pentium M@2GHz, 1 Gb and a dedicated old good ATI 9700 doesn't cut it. I read in the OA forums that 0.7.6 is more demanding than its predecessor; hence my question: is there anything new enabled by default that compromises performance? Because I DON'T SEE anything visually fancy that could explain it.

same here! if anyone has an answer, please don't hesitate to post it

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

First blame the new sdl input now let's blame the evil protocol # 69! Maybe it causes a higher CPU load who knows...? :argh:

Last edited by [sXe] on Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

Popejo, you've been quicker than me, I was right now reading your posts to see any similarities between our cases. And indeed there are some. To start with, we've both have similar systems and we experience similar problems. I have to say that mine aren't critical, in the sense that I better have some FPS drop than crap mouse input, but still this needs to be debugged somehow. I'll try to find the OA forum thread where somebody mentioned the higher requirements 0.7.6/7 has. I wouldn't trust that info that much though. You know, people talk and talk and talk...

PS. Have you tried the engine binaries Jocke posted? They seem to work for me...and no invisible models anymore.

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

Yes people spread out many rumours. But as long as u are not able to find the problem: BLAME ATI! (unless I was rite with the higher CPU load) ;)

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

Yes people spread out many rumours. But as long as u are not able to find the problem: BLAME ATI! (unless I was rite with the higher CPU load) ;)

That, of course, is my primary suspect. But there are a couple of things that don't quite match:

-I don't remember the FPS rate to be this dependent on the number of players online before this release.
-Popejo is on Nvidia and Intel, no ATI.

[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

I own a NVDIA gfx card (7900 GS) and I experienced a bit better performance with older videodrivers => stable 125 FPS with many players on a gameserver @ highest graphic details. So mayb check older ATI drivers!

dairu
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

i've had no fps drops going from 0.7.0 to 0.7.6 to 0.7.7

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

Interesting findings timedemo'ing the same demo with the same fx settings in 0.7.1 and 0.7.6.

(start OA 0.7.1, /timedemo 1, /demo MyDemo1,
start OA 0.7.6, /timedemo 1, /demo MyDemo1)

Almost +10% fps.
[sXe]
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

So that are the highest FPS u can get with your current graphic settings?

Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Binaries for OA 0.7.7 with the old input system. Reply with quote

No, thats average fps values with my current graphic settings (pretty high with lightmap and stuff) @ 1024x768 playing the same CTF-demo.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Main All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: