the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: q3dm6
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › The first map I have ever made
The first map I have ever made
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:12 am    Post subject: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Hey so yeah I am working on making a test Defrag run. I am having some problems with the map. I have not done any lighting to the map yet, but I thought there was a fast compile you could do without lighting. I tried but I couldnt figure out how to actually play my .bsp in game attached are my .map file and .bsp file. Need some help now. Also any tutorials on how to do pk3's would be helpful.

Edited Oh i see i need to compress them i put them in a rar
At least i think i did.

FPS Doug
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:44 am    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Lol I did some testing, found how to get it in game. Apparently its much much smaller that what i was thinking lmao. I will have to like resize everything to be at least 4X bigger and add lots of stuff as things come to me.

PS Also I was an idiot and didnt add any lighting I am currently working on that. And after observing how tiny the map is the only thing i am keeping is the first room.

FPS Doug
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Good to hear that you're on the right tracks. It may be useful for you to know that the dimensions of a player are 56x30x30, if I remember correctly.

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

How would I configure radiant to automatically start up OA and run my map right after compile. It would be nice to have this work while the map is small, and I am testing sizes of stuff. I think my strafe pads will have to be changed several hundred times to get them to feel right.

P.S. How would I go about testing in cpm? Do i need to write some type of configuration that says the map is a defrag map?

FPS Doug
hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

there is this script i made....

furver.no-ip.org/rainb...opic&t=761

it packages the bsp into a pk3, sticks it in your baseoa folder and runs the map in openarena. you need to edit it to use the folder names on your system.
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 1:28 am    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Quote::
here is this script i made....

Only that he is on Windows...

I couldn't make radiant to automatically fire up the engine and run the map. You're right, it would be useful...

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 2:28 am    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Well I think I am like 1/4 the way done with the geometry. I'll add some lighting and close it up later today and send out an alpha bsp. I have ran out of ideas atm, and want some imput. I am not the best with textures and lighting. I still need to figure out the negative light for the bottom of my trigger_hurt.

Edited
Ok this is just a bsp of dawgrun1 Alpha to get the idea of my map. I dont really like my red lights, I need a darker red. Dont really know the RBG scale, so I was trial and erroring it.
Also I know it needs lots of tweaking. I started it out as a vq3 map, but have now decided to change to cpm.
Check out the file and give some suggestions. I need some ideas of what else to add. Just put the bsp in your baseoa folder and /devmap dawgrun1a.

dawgrun1a.zip
 Description:
 Filename:  dawgrun1a.zip
 Filesize:  56.57 KB
 Downloaded:  166 Time(s)

FPS Doug
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 7:43 am    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Well I sent the file to some of my friends, and apparently most of the textures are not stock to OA. What are the textures that are base OA. I have so many defrag maps and junk that its hard to pick the textures out. If only they had recognisible names according to the map they are in. There needs to be some way to distinguish the stock ones. Maybe like having OA in front of the texture name or something like that.

Its not that its time consuming to change out textures its just really annoying.

FPS Doug
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

I had the same problem. Read this and adapt it to your Windows environment:

furver.no-ip.org/rainb...opic&t=233

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:38 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

So I just rename the Open Arena folder or move it all somewhere else. Then download OA 0.7.0 and 0.7.1 patch and put them in place I had OA before. Ill try this. Thanks Kernel.

FPS Doug
rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 2:09 am    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Hey I was wondering how to put a battle suit in. If its item_enviro there is no shader on it. Or is this just that the shader does not have anything to show in radiant?

FPS Doug
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 12:46 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

It's not a shader what you're looking for, just an icon. Do you mean that you can't see any icon when you drop that item in your map?

By the way, I made a map some while ago with all the icons you can get in game. The battle suit whatever must be there somewhere, I don't remember what it looks like.

furver.no-ip.org/rainb...opic&t=300

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 5:57 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Nevermind i got it in the map, I'll just need to test it out sometime. Do you have to insert a value for how much ammo a gun has? You know, like how you put in key light value 600.

FPS Doug
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 6:25 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

There are a lot of different parameters you can change for each entity. I only recently discovered that there is a very helpful description of them in the entity list view. I don't think I did anything to enable it, apart from changing window manager, heh...Anyway, bring that list up by pressing "n" and look for the entity you are interested in. Somewhere in the top part of the window yu can scroll through all the possible options and acceptable values they take. That should be it (perhaps if you have your entity already selected before pressing "n" is easier).

rashdawg
Active Fragger
Active Fragger

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 11:39 pm    Post subject: Re: The first map I have ever made Reply with quote

Oh, I didnt scroll down through them. Now i just feel like im asking dumb questions. Haha. Well i think I am about 1/3 of the way done. I havent decided how long the map should be. So far its pretty short and not that difficult. I just added two grenade plasma climbs. I know they could be tougher and am working on getting the height right. I might post an updated version of my progress so far that actually has lights and all that stuff. I have lots of testing ahead of me. Its not actually making the map that is tough its getting distances correct.

Maybe in a map to come at a later time I could make a defrag map with two routes. A faster and extremely difficult route for all those defragers that are much better than me, and a slower less difficult route for the beginner to intermediate defrager.

FPS Doug
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: