the Rainbow Networks
RN|VQ3 DEFRAG
Map: si
Players: 0 / 18

+++eXy FFA
Map: eadm11
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › Redo OA?
Redo OA?
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

@Falkland:

Of course you are right. I was stupid not realizing this (forgot about those Cvars). My only excuse is that it was late and I was terribly tired.

Speaker

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Quote::
I've tried it a bit ... I've played a couples of matches against one bot at nightmare level and I've seen for the first time stable 125 fps on aggressor :O) ... really IMPRESSIVE, also because I played with OpenAL enabled :O)

Ah, you too? As I mentioned in the q3min forum, this works _really_ well. I tried it with your binary and was able to play _perfectly_ with the CPU throttled to 1.2GHz (by mistake).

So the bad performance wasn't down to compiler optimisations, but to the game itself, uh?

Also, the movement feels very good, I wouldn't know what--if anything--is different though.

Falkland
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

kernel_panic wrote:

So the bad performance wasn't down to compiler optimisations, but to the game itself, uh?

at this point I think the answer is YES ... the game is now in a single and smaller pak0 with only a single map ... and maybe compiler optimizations have supplied to the original OA game "deficit" a little bit.

kernel_panic wrote:

Also, the movement feels very good, I wouldn't know what--if anything--is different though.

Most of the code is quite ioq3 with little modifications that didn't touch the physics : MISSIONPACK sections were removed , there's no any other additional gametype ( like Elimination , domination..... ) and using the BUILD_STANDALONE=1 macro skips the building of those parts of q3 key/authorization/authentication system. The VoIP is not built too.
PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2009 7:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

yesss, this runs perfectly :O)

thx for the linux build falkland

<- plays with highest gfx settings now =) :grin:

hyp3rfocus
Forum Addict
Forum Addict

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 7:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Quote::
popejo -
make the sarge default model less fps hungry - here is the old pulchr post comparing models of q3 and oa: openarena.ws/board/ind...6#msg21746

pulchr's triangle counts were 1530, 1070 and 645. but his post was written before 0.8.1 came out, so i thought i'd check to see what the situation was now. it seems the sarge character has been tweaked a bit because the triangle count is now 1524, 1060 and 630, which is an improvement, but still nowhere near quake3 levels.

is a character model with a quake3 polycount what you guys want?
pulchr
Elite Haxor!
Elite Haxor!

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 9:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

i guess that the differences stem from my rounding up/down to numbers of five. and i'm not sure if i counted the tags or not. don't remember what version of openarena it was though.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

chiquen: this might be a personal thing, but i still find the railgun to be to loud. I can hardly hear my own footsteps when equippet with rg.
the shaft is ok, but also a bit too loud ihmo.

I know we once talked about it in chat, but now, as RG damage is reduced, I think the railgun should also become less noisy.

can some others state their opinions on this, plz.

besides rg and lg i am very happy with the sounds. and the sound themselves are great, too :grin:

EDITED it due to drunkeness

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

I know.

But it's consistant with q3 volume... and it's strange because I bet if you put every q3 sound with OA I bet everyone would complain because it's not what they are used to.

I see posts about reducing rail damage but the idea of the railgun is that if you have it then skilled players could bring it out accordingly and other players hear it as a sort of warning to get out of the way if you have low health.

Maybe if I lower it to 80% of it's original value, would that be enough and keep everyone happy? After all it's a lethal weapon so maybe you shouldn't have both the advantage of hearing everything around you and others not hearing you... which is more like the OA sound. Thats the reason I kept it like that.
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

PopeJo wrote:

besides rg and lg i am very happy with the sounds. and the sound themselves are great, too :grin:

EDITED it due to drunkeness

aww ty :D The rocket sound is actually the original OA sound without the initial delay and it was distorted a little.

The lightning gun hit sound hasnt been changed.. only the standby sound which is a simple sine wave which has been pitch bent upwards and a little delay so it doesnt play too close together (since it repeats), but loud enough to hear if anyone close by is carrying it :D
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:34 am    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Wasent all this discussion due to be moved to the q3min forum? May I lock this thread so we dont get double posts? (this question goes to a_clown the original poster mostly)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

well, here are more regular players I guess, so we could leave it open to channel some thoughts. and direct rainbowers to www.freeq3.com for more details =)

SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

I guess so... :)

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

btw: a_clown and/or Joki:
if you would add the bot-file to oaclowngo2 or oasago2j, it could be the first "real" ctf map to be available in q3min.

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

PopeJo wrote:
well, here are more regular players I guess, so we could leave it open to channel some thoughts. and direct rainbowers to www.freeq3.com for more details =)

Yeah.. could also be used as a heads up for updates etc. Like today it has been updated to 067

Nice icon jack :D

I also have a new softer phaser sound for the railgun.. it's easy to hear it and when another player with a railgun is near it's very clear. That was the problem I found on OA, you could barely hear the difference of distance when people are carrying two railguns. Next one should be less noisy but still very clear as a warning for others to hear
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Aug 13, 2009 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Redo OA? Reply with quote

Added bot-support as requested. The bots seem to play ok.
Unlike the clown said, i dont notice any lower FPS now.

jockl.kilu.de/vault/ma...sago2j.pk3

Uploaded to furver.se, also overwrite your current one with it.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 15 of 16

Jump to: