the Rainbow Networks
+++eXy FFA
Map: ztn3dm1
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › DEV › Maps, Models and Mods › oa_black testing
oa_black testing
There are worlds waiting to be explored and objects to be made. Enjoy.
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexMaps, Models and Mods
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cosmo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:39 am    Post subject: oa_black testing Reply with quote

Hi folks,

I guess you are more open to gameflow testing.
I'd be happy to get some critics regarding to item placement and general gameplay. This is the first public release of oa_black, a small/mid sized tourney/tdm map with Domination support.

download (save link as ...)
screenshot

A test server is running this and ctf_compromise V2 in rotation, including oaxB41 and a brainworkz bot. (/connect spaceboyz.net)

Thanks.
jackthompson
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

hi! :)

upped, /callvote oa_black
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:09 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

Cool, and welcome here.

We'll definitely try it and get back to you, isn't it, boys?

cosmo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

:)

Ivan and Feidi gave me valuable hints on improving this and ctf_compromise.

oa_black will be reduced to half, better shape, less gimmicks, better connectivity.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

well, cosmo. I would not have dared to say it before, but I played oa_black for 15 minutes, and besides noticing that the map is symmetrical, I could not find out what it was about. neither where i was when walking there.

how to tell the place with the MH from the place with the RA apart?

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

I was the same too.. my bright lcd broke and now using a darker one.. the default greenish grism was too hard too see when moving around. I didn't have the patience to go mess with the config but I'll try and give it another go during the week.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

Heh, chiqui, the map's not that dark. Use the menu on the monitor to brighten the picture :)

Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

that's the problem though. the monitor is still dark when it's full brightness. It's ok with maps I know but the other lcd was much brighter. I guess I'll just have to adjust my configs.
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2009 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

Which reminds me, i shall work on my OA-config-creator again.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:56 pm    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

Thanks for feedback.

I have another one for you. This time it is ctf_compromise V2 beta3. :)
Download link: http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/zctf_compromise_v2b3.pk3 (Save link as ...)

I'd like to hear what you think about the changes. There is a test server running but feel free to put it on RN.

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

hey cosmo. concerning ctf maps - if you make them "tournament like" we can give you very much feed back and try them in our clanmatches. we will be very critical then, because it is very hard to balance a map. but I hope that doesn't turn you down =D

if they are "fun ctf" maps, to be used on open servers and such, we can't be much help, but ofc still bug-test it.

thx for your work =)

cosmo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 8:13 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

I'm targeting the former. Neon_Knight/Armaggeddon Man does the fun thing. OA playtesting is kind of not existent. Gonna tweak my current maps to have it more balanced which is impossible if I do not cooperate with players.
Joki
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:25 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

Here are a few things that i noticed on first glance.

The jumppads to the red armor have a too low target_position. You will barely reach it, until you jump on the very edge of the jumppad and keep forward pressed and have good fps. Raise this a lot. ;)

The area at the plasmagun is really dark.

The mapname inside the pk (ctf_compromise) is different from the original map? otherwise if you put it on a server, people who have both maps, will not be able to play. they will pass "awaiting snapshot..." and then it will freeze and they cant do anything anymore. Ensure the name is different, if it isnt already.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

yeah, like joki said the jumppads are akward.
- the fog. you like the fog? I don't like the fog. maybe reduce it to one foggy area? otherwise it feels very uncomfortable. but that's only my opinion.
- the battle suit spawns too often
- reducing the RL ammo to 5 is annoying. ofc it is needed to stop ppl from speed capturing, through rocket-jump+battle suit, but that could also be stopped, if there's no fog and ppl can rail the escaper in mid.

the overall structure of the map seems well balanced, and the bases seem to have sufficient incomming/escape routes.

we'll try in a clanmatch, if I can get the others to play a fog-map. then there'll be more and better feedback =)

cosmo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: oa_black testing Reply with quote

@PopeJo: You tested old version which is contained in vanilla OA 0.81
Fog is removed and layout altered a lot in V2. If unsure kick oa_black version of your system because it contains ctf_compromise_v2b2 which had still some light fog in it. Use this one: http://cosmo.spaceboyz.net/openarena/zctf_compromise_v2b3.pk3

@Joki: The jumppads are for getting into the center area quickly. You can manage to reach the RA platform with proper jumping.

No, they wont be able to join the server if they dont autodownload it because they miss the pk3 file and wont be accepted. It's easy. I intend to replace the former version of this map so the name stays the same.

Thanks guys.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Maps, Models and Mods All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: