RN|VQ3 DEFRAG
Map: si
Players: 0 / 18

+++eXy FFA
Map: hektik
Players: 2 / 18
The golden pot › RAINBOW NETWORKS › Tech & Support › I want to install linux
I want to install linux
Something wrong with our servers or your system?
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum IndexTech & Support
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:18 am    Post subject: I want to install linux Reply with quote

Can anyone recommend an easy to install linux dist which has all the standard tools but without all the extra nonsense that seems to be on the ones i found on the net. I have crap download speed, and will probably just be logging into it remotely so just need a basic install.
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:02 am    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

Mint and Ubuntu.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:19 am    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

ubuntu is very n00b friendly. same as xubuntu - which is for older machines and a bit less resource hungry.

basic, small and with everything necessary, but not as easy to configure if you want to adjust it to your personal taste is www.zenwalk.org/

Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

Hi,

chiquita wrote:
Can anyone recommend an easy to install linux dist which has all the standard tools but without all the extra nonsense that seems to be on the ones i found on the net. I have crap download speed, and will probably just be logging into it remotely so just need a basic install.

I have used Zenwalk Linux for 2 years, it is a fast and lean distro based on Slackware. The whole install stuff fits on a single CD. I have had very good experience with Zenwalk, I can recommend it. For running servers, I would suggest Vector Linux (installed w/o the graphical tools like X Window, KDE, Gnome, etc.).

Speaker

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 9:11 am    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

ok need to get this sorted quickly.. so..

www.google.co.uk/searc...=firefox-a

First hit
Quote::

Mint & Zenwalk
I jump between Mint and Zenwalk on a regular basis. If it's an older laptop, I'd go with Zenwalk. It's lean and mean and built from slackware.

I'll give zenwalk a go :)
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:35 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

If you need easy, you need mint.

Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

isn't mint the same as ubuntu, just in green? i mean mint? (an older packages?)

EDIT: got it:
Originally launched as a variant of Ubuntu with integrated media codecs, it has now developed into one of the most user-friendly distributions on the market - complete with a custom desktop and menus, several unique configuration tools, a web-based package installation interface, and a number of different editions.
www.linuxmint.com/about.php

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

its an minimal install I want, thats what i mean by easy. ie. no media players or fancy stuff :D
SnooSnoo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:42 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

chiquita wrote:
its an minimal install I want, thats what i mean by easy. ie. no media players or fancy stuff :D

Actualy, easy means no fiddling about, and everything you need allready on.

If you need a minimal install, use damn small linux.

Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:47 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

dont configure your linux by changing distributions... it's a waste of time..

just install ubuntu without X11 it will have all tools you know from the servers.. and if you get bored you can just update to the full ubuntu or deinstall X11 again (dont forget HAL.. that fucker..)... :D

i use debian myself which ubuntu is derived from...

Last edited by jackthompson on Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

you install ubuntu because everybody new to linux does

Except Allegedly Dead, who installed Arch.

Speaker
Happy Camper
Happy Camper

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:01 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

Hi,

chiquita wrote:

Zenwalk is minimal in the sense that you have only one choice for each program type (browser, word processor, picture editor, etc.) because the guys making the distro were brave enough to choose just one package for each kind of functionality. Actually, IMO their choices are quite good. The desktop manager they use is Xfce, much leaner and faster than either KDE or Gnome. Still has all the functions you ever need.

Speaker

PopeJo
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 9:16 am    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

what Speaker said! (and its still easier then damn small linux (for me))

kernel_panic
Übergod
Übergod

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

dont configure your linux by changing distributions... it's a waste of time..

While I agree on the main one, I wouldn't install Ubuntu or any other 6-months-release distribution. Upgrading the whole thing every half a year is an unnecessary annoyance, and quite prone to random breakage.

Then, I don't understand the concept of 'easy'. Without considering gentoo and pals, all the distros are pretty much the same once you install a desktop environment. At least, I don't see any difference between my Suse computer at work and my Debian laptop. If you really want a minimal system you could do worse than downloading the Debian netinstall and choosing exactly what you want from the outset. Plus, if you don't want the GUI stuff you'll be surprised about how fast the OS boots and shuts down without all the crap included by default in a full blown installation (mail transfer agents that nobody use come to mind).

chiquita
Alpacas Approved
Alpacas Approved

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: I want to install linux Reply with quote

ok ok.. i understand now :D In most cases I can choose a minimal install but will still be easy to update stuff with what I need. I just happened to stumble accross sites which had all tons of files which was all mumbo jumbo to me. I didnt even recognise the extensions :(

And ye... what speaker said.. it's so annoying downloading an app which may support media playback and try and become your default player. Then it doesnt support half of the media your previous player could.

For windows, all i need is irfanview and vlc player. Two apps which are probably less than 10mb and I use them all the time without the requirement for any other app.
Post new topic   Reply to topic   Printer Friendly Page     Forum Index -> Tech & Support All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Go to page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: